AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
j
jon
anybody here do picture framing?
we do a few framed mirrors,, just the easy ones with metal frames of various colors. this time when i was about to place an order, i found out that the distributor has dropped all but 6 colors of frames. anybody have any wholesaler connections for picture frames?
Views: 779   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 16, 2005 4:04pm
by Rich
b
BJ
Fuel Charges
Hey Vendors, Why are we still being charged a fuel charge when gas prices are back to normal?
Views: 1460   Replies: 23
Last Post: Dec 16, 2005 12:29pm
by CS
s
ST
Direct to Distributor Solicitations
I received an email today from a insurance company who wanted me (a distributor) to provide them with information. The email is shown below (names edited out). In addition, I show my reply. What's your take on insurance companies trying to do this? Business: XX...
Views: 1138   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 16, 2005 11:33am
by ccc
1997 Suzuki X90
How difficult is it to get the mouldings out without damaging them. If they do get damaged is there any other moulding I can use. My supplier doesnt carry any.
Views: 786   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 14, 2005 8:36pm
by DashHack
s
sh
d/t levine to hire scrushy/ watkins team
rumor has it that d/t levine has hired scrushy/watkins team with fbi investigation. scrushy/watkins advise levine to go to largest minority church in kingston, donate a cool million, join church, attend every sunday along with proper media coverage, start own religi...
Views: 969   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 14, 2005 8:20pm
by TSi
s
sh
"fbi fights cancer"
back several months ago on this forum i stated that "dia/tri was the cancer in our industry." i told readers to go out to one of their customers, cut the price to them so they could go back to dia/tri and get them to match price or cut deeper, help them go broke. n...
Views: 950   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 14, 2005 2:02pm
by sh
b
BJ
Bad installs
Can some tell me were I can find the pictures of poor installations on this site?
Views: 976   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 14, 2005 8:47am
by sh
Question: Pricing based on zip code
I've been an installer for a while now and am considering opening my own shop....Is there a resource where we can find out how much a given insurance company will pay for installtions within our area of service? (without having to sign any contracts or divulging any...
Views: 848   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 13, 2005 8:14pm
by GlassHack
p
ProTek
Stigmatised
I have seen good people who use to have smiles on their faces everyday do a complete 180. People who use to care. People who knew they had a future. Proud people who were genuinely happy to be working in this industry. And I know pro quality installers who have moved...
Views: 1397   Replies: 27
Last Post: Dec 13, 2005 8:12pm
by Mark 2
n
NICK
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
I am a relatively new owner of a full service glass shop (auto, residential, and commercial). Could anyone comment on what software package works best for managing the overall business? Quickbooks Pro, Mainstreet, etc.... Any help would be appreciated.
Views: 876   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 13, 2005 1:51pm
by jon
m
Mark 2
State Farm and OEM Glass
It's time someone posted this here. State Farm has apparantly changed their policy in 33 states. They were doing this at least three months before the new O/A and Metryx deadline of October, but said nothing. I think that silence on this by State Farm speaks v...
Views: 975   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 5:31pm
by ccc
c
ccc
competitive marketplace??? READ THIS
From a link to an article in GlassBytes... The proposal by the New York Insurance Association would mark a big change in how rates are determined for auto, commercial and workers compensation insurance. It calls for the state to allow a "file-and-use" system where...
Views: 899   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 5:20pm
by ccc
r
ryan
Insurance claims
I have been here 28 years,maybe Im missing something now.How can anyone be pleased with TPAs.Why should I make someone elses payroll when I do the hard work.Until prices come to a stable point we cant win.If the ins. adjusters dont understand how can regular customers.
Views: 877   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 11, 2005 12:24pm
by Mark 1
So Your Car Isn't Totaled—But Is It Safe?
Look at the part about windshield replacements!! ___________________________________________________ Written by our Chief Counsel, E. L. Eversman, a premier legal authority in the automotive arena, these articles address the most important legal issues affecting t...
Views: 859   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 10, 2005 9:41am
by streekyd
c
ccc
METRYX "in-shop" services being limited?
Check out what METRYX did yesterday/today. They now are letting you manage your "in-shop" service area zip codes, well sort of. Funny thing is they are greying out most of them. Only letting you manage the zip codes in a predefined radius, seems to be a small rad...
Views: 885   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 9, 2005 6:11pm
by CS
e
ELRON
METRYX OPEN TO PUBLIC
WHEN METRYX WAS INTRODUCED I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE INSURED COULD GO INTO THE LYNX WEB SITE AND ACCESS METRYX, TO HELP THEM FIND A QUALITY GLASS REPLACEMENT SHOP USING PUBLIC INFORMATION ABOUT SHOPS SUCH AS CERTIFICATION EXPERIENCE,LOCATIONS, HOURS OF OPER...
Views: 1155   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 9, 2005 10:48am
by ccc
t
TM
NAGS 8 months later
There was an article in one of the publications several months ago of "where we are we now with the rebalance." It seems to me we are all hurting more than ever. Before rebalance it was proposed by NAGS that this change was going to be "revenue" neutral and that th...
Views: 922   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 7, 2005 3:45pm
by Dave Leach / Chi...
j
JERRY
List of States with glass coverage
Can anyone list the states that offer glass coverage?
Views: 791   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 6, 2005 7:03pm
by Just the fact
c
ccc
CCC to HAL cont.
ccc states- I still find it funny that the ins. co. talk so much and refer so much to NAGS data, and yet not one ins. company I know accepts all of the NAGS data. Response- We use the NAGS part number, suggested labor times, and suggested retail. CCC response- s...
Views: 1625   Replies: 34
Last Post: Dec 5, 2005 10:13am
by Hal [from the da...
h
HH
VOLVO W/S
JUST A SHORT QUESTION FOR WHOEVER MIGHT KNOW, WE RECIEVED A W/S THIS MORNING FOR A 05 VOLVO. IT LOOKED LIKE A GOOD SHIELD, BUT IT HAD WHAT LOOKED LIKE A FACTORY APPLIED PRIMER ON THE FRIT. THIS DOESNT SEEM SAFE. HOW CAN YOU BE SURE IT HASN'T BEEN CONTAMINATED IN SHIP...
Views: 775   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 6:24pm
by eyes wide open
b
Bryan
Mobile Questions
We have been contemplating for some time now about doing mobile replacements. We are a small family owned business my brother, father and myself. Currently we do in shop replacements and flat glass work. We live in an area in Northern California where we don’...
Views: 1330   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 2:24pm
by ccc
a
agpros
Scratch Resister Blade
Has anyone tried the new Scratch Resister blade that the Pipeknife company has come out with ? I have used this blade and it works great on the vehicles that have underside moldings and no moldings. I'm glad to see this tool.
Views: 856   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 30, 2005 10:47pm
by proTek
m
magic
The Lawsuit has been dismissed
That stinks. http://www.glassbytes.com/newsIGALawsuitStatus20051117.htm
Views: 1148   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 25, 2005 11:48pm
by ray
p
pat
St. Farm O&A
I think the new O&A sucks. 30% gone overnight Can someone explain fair and reasonable one day and 30% slap in the face the next? Wasn't it just six months ago that State Farm told NAGS to level the playing field? P
Views: 814   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 23, 2005 12:17pm
by XXX
j
jim
Lynx script for State Farm in MN for non O and A
Does Lynx tell your customers that they need to pay the shop direct even though you have asignment of claims? We are going to court Jan 6th in the state of Arizona because of Lynx and State Farm ignoring the asignment of claims. They are telling are customer that the...
Views: 1069   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 4:19pm
by CT
k
Karl
Ins. exec's & tpa's go shopping
I wonder.When insurance exec's go shopping do they always tell the person behind the counter that"these items are worth this much so i will gladly pay you this much.Take it or leave it".You as a clerk must noe decide,do i make the sale or not?Matter of fact;I bet the...
Views: 826   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 2:07pm
by TSi
r
RO
Metryx one month later
Metryx one month later- Somehow I do not believe those numbers!
Views: 913   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 1:30pm
by David Steinert
b
BG2
State Farm and chip repairs
Just wondering if anybody has heard anything more on state farm not covering chip repairs. I don't know about all the shops here, but i do repairs as well as replacements. I thought state farm was going to start a roll out plan with a few states thats they won't cov...
Views: 1004   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 21, 2005 2:39pm
by Webmaster
Responses to State Farm in Fridays (7/1/05) GlassBYTEs
We have received some comments from GlassBYTEs readers on a story that ran last Friday (7/1/05 http://www.glassbytes.com/newsstatefarm20050701.htm) regarding State Farms decision to discontinue windshield repair deductible waivers. I have posted them as replies to th...
Views: 1186   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 20, 2005 11:29am
by joe
lexan back and sidelights
http://www.jobwerx.com/news/ge_plastics_biz-id=947673_063.html....... here is the article on ge's plan for lighter stronger plastic for vehicles, not good for the agr industry, although it does scratch easy
Views: 848   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 19, 2005 10:08pm
by ALF
c
ccc
2004-2005 Crown Vic
We are replacing a read door and vent glass assembly for 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. We do the door windows often for the local police and they tend to get kicked out alot. The door glass is normally a thin laminated glass we reset to tempered as it safes the local...
Views: 978   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 18, 2005 10:25am
by ALF
s
sh
ppg fw 2092 with stain on inside
we installed fw 2092 ppg appx 1 month ago, customer came back complaining about a stain on w/s. turns out stain on inside pain of w/s. anyone else having this problem with ppg stains
Views: 854   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 16, 2005 8:31pm
by proTek
e
Ell
VW Beetle
Has anyone run into a problem with the power locks on VW New Beetles or Jetta when installing new window regulator? After installing new regulator, power locks are not working properly. Any suggestions?
Views: 896   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 16, 2005 10:38am
by Ell
c
ccc
dw1522 vs. dw1319?
Does anyone have an opinion on this non-interchange? Customers here constantly wanting the DW1522 installed in place of the dw1319. Is there any real difference other than the "super duty" in the 3rd visor? I ask this, as we have had several customers ask for i...
Views: 1588   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 10, 2005 10:19pm
by Mark 2
Hall Of Shame pictures
You guys have got to see these new pictures I just put up on the AGRR's hall of shame page. I don't know whether to laugh or be very afraid. http://www.agrrmag.com/shame.htm
Views: 1108   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 10, 2005 12:37pm
by Streekyd
k
Karl
customer having trouble collecting from allstate
A good friend of ours had their w/s replaced at our shop and paid out-right for it.Cold hard cash.Then mailed the paid in full reciept to the agent.20 days go by and still they have not recieved their money.They call the agent and get"i don't know where it is or what...
Views: 840   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 10, 2005 7:55am
by Karl
Anyone do overlays?
Wondering if anyone in here does overlays, the kind I am looking for are the decorative overlays that would be put on a front door to make the glass look beveled or a film in specific patterns that could make a glass cabnit door or a mirror look etched. I can't seem...
Views: 904   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 8, 2005 1:22pm
by IRA
k
kc
62-63 plymouth dw617
Looking for one, clear, yes its available thru lof, 225 plus 100 shipping. anyone else got one ? may end up with lof, but would like to find one for less $. Its a good longtime friend and customer.
Views: 736   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 7, 2005 3:34pm
by GLASSSGOD
j
Jess
More of State Farm's game
I've posted a bit on this scenario I've got going w/ Lynx & State Farm. We finally did the install. To make a long story short, I'm asking this friend about how I'm actually supposed to do the bill (curious to see what kind of bull... will come up at this point.)...
Views: 1035   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 4, 2005 3:29pm
by glassdr
e
ELRON
STATE FARM NOT GIVING DISPATCH# OVER PHONE
HAS ANYONE BEEN DENIED A DISPATCH # FROM STATE FARM LYNX OVER THE PHONE. IT HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING. I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS A NEW POLICY NOT TO GIVE IT OUT TO SAVE TIME. WHAT ARE THEY UP TO NOW ? ANY FEED BACK THANKS.
Views: 895   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 4, 2005 3:24pm
by ELRON
j
j
SFO&A
Has anyone heard anthing about being extended or automatically enrolled in State Farms O & A?
Views: 905   Replies: 13
Last Post: Nov 2, 2005 8:16pm
by eyes wide open
j
JD
Metryx?
We are still on the fence about signing up for METRYX and from what I have read a lot of the bigs guys have not signed up either. I am a network provider and the only LYNX customer that I have had an issue with about non METRYX compliance is State Farms. I'm curi...
Views: 795   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 2, 2005 6:36pm
by Syd
Being Professional
Good Morning all! Have to tell you, I took my very first sick/mental health day yesterday! Felt good to hang out in my robe until noon! Boy did I fight the guilt though!LOL Anyhow there was some posting done about acting professional yesterday, I have some t...
Views: 936   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 6:53pm
by Mark1
c
ccc
Grats to AGRSS, Bob Bischoff, and Steve Shaw
Sorry this has taken so long to post... Grats to Bob Bischoff for his outstanding conduct at the AGRSS conference. He too took on some tough questions, answered the ones he could, and made his email and phone number available to all that wanted it. It was a hug...
Views: 1072   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 31, 2005 10:04am
by ccc
j
Jose
The Extractor
Does anyone have any minimal idea where I can get replacement parts for The Extractor? I've called everything I can think of including the parent company of the people who manufacture The Extractor (Milwaukee) and I haven't had any luck. If anyone has any ideas/inf...
Views: 877   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2005 7:51am
by Steve
m
mike
metryx
just wondering how everybody is getting along without metryx! I can't tell any difference exept that I am making more money per job.
Views: 855   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 29, 2005 12:18pm
by CS
m
Mark1
State Farm's Numbers for 2004
Please bear in mind that this is only "one" of State Farm's several companies. Summary of Insurance Business 2004 STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY ONE STATE FARM PLAZA BLOOMINGTON, IL 61710 NAIC ID: 25178 TYPE OF COMPANY Mutual YEAR IN...
Views: 737   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2005 12:11pm
by KEN
m
Mark1
State Farm's Numbers for 2004
Please bear in mind that this is only "one" of State Farm's several companies. Summary of Insurance Business 2004 STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY ONE STATE FARM PLAZA BLOOMINGTON, IL 61710 NAIC ID: 25178 TYPE OF COMPANY Mutual YEAR IN...
Views: 706   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2005 10:43am
by Mark1

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com