Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Damb Busters
Sgt. Richard ( Dickie ) Bolitho was a school friend of mine and was rear gunner on one of the Lancasters that never made it back home. He died at only 19 years old.His mum and dad used to run a Fruit & Veg shop in Kimberley, Nottingham and he attended The British Sch...
Views: 155   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2018 3:03am
by Derek Fisher
ANY RELATIVES OF THE ORGINAL 133 CREW OF DAMBUSTERS?
Please kindly email me if you would like to be invited to an event that includes all 133 of the crew. I am attempting to get in touch with relatives ahead of May 2018. Dan danllywelynhall@gmail.com
Views: 281   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 19, 2018 5:36am
by Dan L Hall
Incorrect spelling of name
On your website listing the crews in the waves in the order they went on the raid, you have my uncle as T Faye (Burpee's Navigator). His name was Thomas Jaye. Could you please correct this. Many thanks Mick Jones
Views: 490   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 19, 2018 5:34am
by Dan L Hall
Welding the 'A' frame that carried the mine.
Hello Everyone. I am so delighted to have found this site as I had no idea it existed! I'd like to know if there are any surviving ladies and gents of the welding team that converted the original 20 aircraft in order to carry the mine. My Mother Ellen Chambers...
Views: 487   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:00am
by Shaun Rhodes
my 2 visits to the dam
I first visited the mohne dam in aug 2007 .as a small token of my respect i took the oppertunity to stick with blue tack a poppy to the front wall of the dam about half way between the 2 towers in the area of the breech I have just returned from Germany [july2012] w...
Views: 584   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 9:52am
by Brian Daly
P/O Harlo 'Terry' Taerum
Does anyone have any idea of the location of Terry Taerums log book ? I have tried the Canadian Bomber Museum, but they have not responded. Many thanks if you can help David Flett
Views: 529   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2012 8:42am
by David Flett
Leonard Joseph Sumpter DFC, DFM INFORMATION REQUEST
Hi all, I'm doing research on behalf of Lord Ashcroft for his new book Flying Heroes which covers the stories behind some of the gallantry medals awarded over the last century. One of the people I'm researching is Leonard Joseph Sumpter DFC DFM who was. Bomb Ai...
Views: 836   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 18, 2012 4:52pm
by kenneth maynard
H.M.Young
Being a relative of H.M. Young I cant believe hes not in the Leaders or Air crew groupings of your website. He basically planned the training of his section and dropped the bomb that probably broke the dam. He then ran interference with Gibson as other dam busters ma...
Views: 493   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 26, 2012 5:36am
by Fred
m
marshy
Paper Trail of missing Dambuster
The Dambusters i have found in my research are beyond doubt one of the bravest and talented squadrons, and deserve every bit of recognition they have. The paper trail i have been searching for to prove my Granddad Bernard McCormack SR was amongst them has not been su...
Views: 725   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 26, 2012 5:31am
by Fred
b
Basil
Guy Gibson's Dog
Does anyone know at which airfield ****** was buried and whether the grave is marked and still in existence?
Views: 885   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 26, 2012 5:28am
by Fred
Dambuster Quadron Photographs
Hi - I'm searching for Dambuster/Lancaster squadron photographs. Mainly, the ones with the a Lanc and several hundred crew/ground crew etc all in the same picture. Anyone able to send a good quality scanned copy? Regards, Ian Brown, Sydney, Australia
Views: 685   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 2, 2012 11:37am
by Brian Kettlewell
Info on Robert Ernest Wont
Hi I am trying to get any information on Robert Ernest Wont Born 1901 in Tenterden Kent,served in the RFC / RAF in WW1 & WW2 he is supposed to have had somthing to do with this squadron. ( Dambusters ) its not for me but for a Daneish Family who beleve him to h...
Views: 417   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2012 1:00am
by David PLatt
surviving crews?
hi there is Les Munro the only surviving Dambuster? .. feel free in visiting the Dambusters' page in Facebook, it has almost 2,000 fans and is very active Greetings from Santiago, Chile
Views: 934   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 28, 2012 3:35pm
by Ian Arnold
Jack Blagbrough - 936913 flight engineer
Hi everyone I'm researching my Grandads involvement in the dam raids. He was on the Lancaster captained by Phil Martin. If anyone has any information I would love to hear from you! Warm regards Claire
Views: 430   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 22, 2012 11:17am
by Claire Blagbroug...
Dambuster crew post war professions
As an amateur family historian I am presently searching for details of a distant relative who served as a rear gunner in the RAF during WW2. It has reminded me that in the late 1970's whilst living in Luton we had a Co-op insurance man who came to our door from tim...
Views: 781   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2012 7:12am
by John McPherson
m
m
Koblenz dambuster
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2069899/Giant-unexploded-World-War-II-bomb-defused-Koblenz-Germany.html describe this as a blockbuster but did they mean a dambuster. "The cylindrical bomb has no stabilising fins. The diameter is 1270mm and the lengt...
Views: 478   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 10, 2011 6:05pm
by m
Bouncing Bomb fusing
Hi. I am trying to find out how the fusing was carried out by the aircrew before Upkeep was dropped, I know that the bomb was fitted with a hydrostatic fuse and also a back up chemical fuse. And seeing that the bomb was spun up to 500rpm before she was dropped the fu...
Views: 580   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 22, 2011 6:22pm
by Jeff Lloyd
dambuster fundraising
Dambusters Family: Operation Halfway is being carried out by the families of 617 Sqn whilst the squadron is deployed on operations in Afghanistan. The guys and girls in Afghanistan are in the process of making their way back through gym miles collected, our goal i...
Views: 401   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2011 1:53am
by Dambuster Family
Dambusters stolen book sold on Flog It
I have been told and since viewed on iPlayer that the Flog It program ‘featured’ the Dambuster book that my father had LENT to the landlord of a hotel/public house in Newtownards Northern Ireland. My father was Brian (Concave) Goodale who flew with Dav...
Views: 1447   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 2, 2011 1:04am
by Simon Goodale
Is this of any interest?
Hi, Just looking through my fathers (James Ian MacBean) RAF flying logbooks. On July the 21st 1941 he starting training (in a DH82A) William Clifford Townsend (there is a cutting placed in his logbook from a newspaper about the dambusters, and my father has w...
Views: 594   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2011 11:29am
by Gavin MacBean
Researching my Grandmother, Dorothy Metcalfe!
My Grandmother passed away a few years ago and I am curious about her history. She would never talk about what she did during the war, but did make a few comments that she had something to do with 617 Squadron. She had a few pieces of artwork relating to lancasters,...
Views: 574   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 9, 2011 12:58pm
by Vicki Gardner-St...
W T Eaves
My Grandad, W.T.Eaves was in 617 squadron, and was mentioned in dispatches in the London Gazette in 1944 He was a volutary reserve. Does anyone have any information on him?
Views: 389   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2011 5:10am
by Mark Richardson
help
about 9 years ago i got a print from Derwent Valley Museum am trying to find out some info about the print its in my attic and am disabled and cant get to it. it was done for the 60th anniversary i belive its called the last saulte but i cant find any info out...
Views: 401   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 25, 2011 1:32pm
by matthew
David Shannon research
I am trying to research David Shannon, who you will all know piloted AJ-L on the Dams Raid and continued with 617 Squadron until July 1944. I have read that his front gunner, F/O Brian Jagger DFM was killed in a training accident, evidently some time after February...
Views: 565   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 15, 2011 2:32am
by Lachlan
p
Paul
Camoflage Colours
Can anyone tell me the exact camoflage colours the Dambuster Lancs were painted on the dams raids please?? Just built a model of the Lancaster and it's time to paint it. Just that I want it as acurate as possible. Any help appreciated. Thanks Paul
Views: 530   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2011 6:48am
by Paul
photos
Just spent about two hours looking at this excellent website.I think it would be great if you could enlarge the photos when you click on them.
Views: 799   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 20, 2010 12:36pm
by Tobin jones
Bumble motors?
While reading Guy Gibson's 'Enemy coast ahead' I came across a word that I didn't understand nor could I find an explanation or translation anywhere (I'm Dutch). It is 'bumble motors'. What are they? They are mentioned on p. 203 in the 2007 reprint of the Goodall pap...
Views: 574   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 19, 2010 11:03am
by Tobin jones
release mechanism PLEASE READ
hey! i never really thought about posting this onto any site or telling anyone, but it just clicked, it is pretty cool.... it was my great grandad or my great great grandad that worked on the release mechanism for the bouncing bomb. i dont know much about it but my...
Views: 515   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2010 1:03pm
by Sam Marshall
LANCASTER FORUM
As this board does not seem to have a moderator or someone running it I have found an excelent forum where there is a great group of members will ing to answer all Bomber Command questions http://www.lancaster-archive.com click on the forum link more areas open...
Views: 575   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 16, 2010 3:12pm
by LAF-Forum
Potential Visit to the Dams
Hopefully forum members are able to help me in my appeal. My name is Corporal Lee Whittaker from RAF Kinloss and I am planning to take approx 12 service personnel on a visit to the Möhne, Sorpe and Eder dams next year. Having never been to the dams before...
Views: 413   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 28, 2010 2:29pm
by Dambusters Museu...
Dambusters art
Hi, just wanted to let people know that I have recently released onto my website www.daveharrisart.co.uk a new piece of artwork inspired by Guy Gibson and the Dambusters mission in 1943. The piece is available as a highly detailed limited edition Giclee print and cos...
Views: 555   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2010 3:53am
by Dave Harris
photograph P/O LJ Burpee
During a Dam Raid, P/O LJ Burpees Lancaster of 617 Squadron crashed at Gilze-Rijen airfield (NL), 17.05.1943. Are there perhaps any pictures of P/O LJ Burpee and his crew or his Lancater? best wishes, Michael van der Zee michael.zee@ziggo.nl
Views: 646   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 22, 2010 11:53pm
by Michael van der ...
Upkeep loading trolley
Does anyone know if the trolley used to take upkeep to the lancasters was a special one designed for the mine, or was it a standard type? If a standard type, which model? I am building a model and want to make it as part of the loading scene. If anyone knows of an...
Views: 529   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 21, 2010 2:44pm
by Andrew Moore
b
Basil
Guy Gibsons Dog
Thank you everybody for the information. Much appreciated.
Views: 777   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2010 12:47am
by Basil
617 Ground Crew
Does anyone have any memories or stories about 926185 Sergeant John Reginald SHORNEY known as Bill?
Views: 472   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 20, 2010 1:52pm
by Georgina Garrett
617 Avro Lincoln in grey/black colour scheme
I am an ex-RAF pilot. I read Paul Brickhill's 'The Dam Busters' when I was 10 years old and that was all the inspiration I needed! I am currently making models of all aircraft flown by Guy Gibson and 617 sqn. This makes for a lot of aircraft in a green/earth/...
Views: 605   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 18, 2010 9:21am
by Andy Turner ('Ag...
Rear Gunner Reginald Robert Langley
Hi All, Does anybody have any information, photos or know of my Grandad Reg Langley. He was a rear gunner but i know little else. If anyone can let me have anything, or if anyone knows him from the squadron please email on drfvilla@hotmail.co.uk Many thanks...
Views: 514   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 13, 2010 3:00pm
by Dave Foster
the first "westabout"
Hi - I was goundcrew on 617 and took part in the first "westabout" c1970. i've just put some photos on my website - any recognize anyone? www.photograhame.com
Views: 674   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 11, 2010 7:50am
by grahame soden
j
Jill
wanted photograph of bomber flying over dams
Can anyone tell me where I can find a good photograph of a lancaster bomber flying over the dams please
Views: 438   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 6, 2010 5:48am
by Dom
617 ground/Aircrew
Does anyone know the location of D.E.Retter, Cpl Ken Lucas, Don Sergeant please
Views: 457   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 30, 2009 8:16am
by peter exley
Rose Brothers, Gainsborough - equipment made for the Dambuster planes
I'm the webmaster for www.bphs.net which is a historical record of the Baker Perkins engineering group. One of the subsidiary companies was Rose Brothers in Gainsborough who during WW2 built gun turrets for Hampdens and Lancasters (see http://www.bphs.net/GroupFacili...
Views: 398   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2009 12:11am
by James Preston
AJ-A breaks dam with precises hit
AJ-A had broke the dam with a precise hit - the dam was starting to break up even as the bomb from AJ-J was released. See documentary video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8rh_wiMuo&feature=related There seems to e confusion around this. This website says that...
Views: 347   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 10, 2009 7:13pm
by Joel joy
Crew member
I have just been to the funeral of a gentleman (Norman Lambell)who was a rear gunner on the dambusters raid. However there is no mention of his name in the list of crew members. Can anyone throw light on this matter?
Views: 661   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 7, 2009 1:04pm
by tracey cochrane
Ray Grayston Book Signing
We are very privileged to announce that Dambusters Veteran RAY GRAYSTON will be visiting our small, independently run bookshop on Saturday 7th November from 10am - 1pm. Ray will be available to sign books or to answer questions. Any queries please phone 01526 354501...
Views: 400   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2009 6:10am
by Kathryn Fairs
trace
Hi i'm looking for a mate who is not computer savvy he attended a funeral for a distant relative and was informed that this guy was an airgunner in 617 and took part in the dambuster raids he is not sure? he thinks the last name was Kite? and he may have been the rea...
Views: 340   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 25, 2009 3:14am
by Ian Cooper
My Uncle Bill
Hello I am trying to find out information about by Uncle Bill - William Everest. I know very little about him but understand that he was a rear gunner on a Lancaster bomber which was shot down somewhere over Holland. I am fairly certain that he was in the Dam Buster...
Views: 360   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2009 6:01am
by Gill Phillips
p
Paul
Ventral turrets
Could anyone please enlighten me on the fitment if any! of ventral turrets to aircraft on the raid. Information I have hints that at least 1 was so equipped, but which? would also appreciate information on the final disposal of aircraft used on the raid and any infor...
Views: 759   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 3, 2009 7:59am
by Paul
seeking info on hubert soule
hi.i am seeking info about hubert soule,my girlfriends father,who flew in lancasters during the war.if anyone can help we would be very grateful.thank you
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 17, 2009 4:05pm
by russ shields
Tracing Information on my Father (then Fg Off) Freddie Wright W/Op on 617 Sqn
I have found from his log book that he was detached from 15 Sqn Mildenhall to (Woodhall Spa) 617 Sqn Special Duties wef 1 June 1944. His penultimate wartime trip was taking Bomber Harris on a Tour of Brazil on 24 July to 22 August 1945 landing at Mildenhall. He ev...
Views: 318   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 10, 2009 5:59am
by Sqn Ldr Anthony ...
dambusters archive on sale!!!
noticed a ' Dambusters archive' on sale by auction ... lot 363 at www.birmauctions.co.uk may be of interest to somebody..... james
Views: 460   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 1, 2009 7:37am
by James Dawn
1 2 3 4 5 6
Free Forum powered by Bravenet