Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DeVaux VIN

Gary .. that the same hood strip and end clamps I mentioned to you about finding B42 Mack ones ? Mack is too long but can be cut to length needed. Also used on the 31 / 32 Durant / Rugby's, Plymouths and other vehicles. Ours are chromed steel but Mack's are stainless steel.

B42_Mack_hood_ends

B42_Mack_hood_strip

Had to wait trying to get Windoz Live Mail to work in the pc but here's the lad I got mine off of. I note even the bigmacktrucks site refers to the same lad for the same parts.

B Mack hood strip / ends http://www.kingofsalvage.com/mack-b-model-hood-fender.htm

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Been doing some snooping around and Watts Truck Center used to also carry the hood strip and ends for B model Mack Trucks. I don't see those now.
Mac's Ford Parts carry the strip for 32 - 35 Ford's but its too short for our hoods and the two different ends are not ours.
What I did find was this site that carry's both the strip and end caps we use. Strip like the Mack's, is 4 feet long but as they say can me cut to fit the vehicles that used the strip.
The caps they show, ours is the left ones for the 32 Plymouth.

http://www.srpmstreetrods.com/srpm/mopar-hood-hinge-center-strip-ff8081812db6a293012dbe0e3cd504d5-p.html

Maybe the "S" on the Hayes body tag is for Sakhnoffsky....as in Count? As it appears on the more arrow dynamic designed versions?

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? a-22, b-22, 633

We will never know what was used on the 685 Fronty tags or what was on 633 Coupe tag unless a few of these vehicles come out of the woodwork to give us a clue. As we know 680 / 685 / 633 used same Hayes bodies / fenders. Its possible different alpha was used to correspond to the numeric 680 body tags. Again why were body tags used on the 33 / 34 Continentals but not on the C-400 / C-600 Frontys ? then to throw a monkey wrench in that and have the Ace with 181 and Fronty Ace with 191 Hayes tags. In the case of the Ace's the vin plate model is 81 US and 91 Can. That blows the idea everywhere in vin and models info both were 81's. If we hadn't gone after Daryl for his Ace's info that myth would have continued. Then eBay had a rusty Ace in the US a few years back and its tag had 191. So it wasn't an Ace but a Fronty Ace.

Another notion is the S was "Special" order for the 9 / 11 / 15 ?? 633's built.

Apparently Alexis had nothing to do with De Vaux bodies. Reading this the 680 and later were used up Hayes bodies. What bodies ? Reo / Franklin that looks much like the 680 body. Remember REO was built in Dominion 1932 and after.
What I have trouble with is what unused Durant bodies ? You study the Durant / 675 De Vaux sedan and they aren't the same. Rear quarter windows on De Vaux are wider and back of rear door is forward of center of the fender. De Vaux wood doors and posts and 3 hinge on fronts. Windshield swings out. Durant windshield goes up, doors and posts are steel, front door 2 hinge, quarter window narrower, back of rear door is center of fender.
-----------------------------------
In 1930 Hayes signed a three-­year contract to build bodies for the American Austin/Bantam that were designed by deSakhnoffsky, and later made a deal to supply bodies for the 1931-32 DeVaux. Although DeVaux advertisements stated that deSakhnoffsky had designed the cars coachwork, in reality the bodies he designed weren’t actually used. Instead, leftover Hayes-built Durant bodies were supplied to DeVaux with deSakhnoffsky-designed fenders, hood and grill to update them. By the time the DeVaux appeared, deSakhnoffsky had been hired away by Packard’s Edward Macauley, and was in no position to complain.

In fact the DeVaux was built in a leased portion of Hayes huge Grand Rapids plant, and the bodies were transported across a second floor bridge that ran over the street that separated the two buildings. DeVaux’s successor, Continental, continued to utilize various leftover Hayes-built bodies.

In the early Depression era, many manufacturers shared bodies to help reduce. The Peerless Custom Eight and Marmon Big Eight shared the same Hayes-built body between 1930 and 1932, and the 1932 Marmon 8-125, 1932-34 Reo Flying Cloud 6S and 1933-34 Franklin Olympic shared a different Hayes design. Automobile customers rarely compared the actual bodies, and addressed their attention to a vehicle’s front end, which could be easily disguised using a different grill or front fenders. General Motors started doing it at the same time, and the practice continues today.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club