AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
driverless vehicles

It is tragic that there are those among us who are blind, arm or leg handicapped, and too old and unstable to drive.

If these people have some money, they can afford Uber,taxis, buses, trains, and planes. If they do not have enough money to afford those things, WHAT MAKES VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS BELIEVE THEY WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD THEIR DRIVERLESS VEHICLES?

No joke. I am not trying to be a wiseguy. I am quite serious. I would appreciate an intelligent answer.

Re: driverless vehicles

You ask an excellent question, tk.

The vehicle manufacturers spout stuff about the public being fearful, skeptical, and thereby not wanting anything to do with driverless cars. And they believe with testing, good public relations, etc those views will change.

But they don't address your simple and quite basic issue. They have too many "techies" and no pragmatic thinkers to deal with something quite so simple and basic. At least I for one have never heard or read anything.

tk
It is tragic that there are those among us who are blind, arm or leg handicapped, and too old and unstable to drive.

If these people have some money, they can afford Uber,taxis, buses, trains, and planes. If they do not have enough money to afford those things, WHAT MAKES VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS BELIEVE THEY WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD THEIR DRIVERLESS VEHICLES?

No joke. I am not trying to be a wiseguy. I am quite serious. I would appreciate an intelligent answer.
This forum is not for thinking, it is for complaining about safelite and insurance companies.

Who wouldd need glass?

tk

The financial position is less of an issue than the simple fact that people want their own "private" mode of transport.

As the technology improves, the price comes down. Eventually, the self-driving features that are cost prohibitive, will be standard features. That said, the evolution is generational - even once a working platform and tech are established - people like to drive, and vehicles have a much extended life versus 20 years ago.

The irony is that ADAS can make things less safe to a degree because as the tech gets better, the attention span and skills that drivers have are eroded by non-use. This is overcome by the immediate gains, but still an issue - especially when level 5 automation is mixed with analog operation.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com