AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lane departure warning calibration

I worked with S-lite for 17+ years from tech to management. They will do what ever it takes to get a job in there system. Big wings came through regularly to make sure we tell customers that we only use OEE glass, but will have the SGC logo on it. Which is BS. Now that I'm on my own recertified and AGROSS certified ect. And I refuse to get on board to there preferred provider program they tell my customers that call in that they will not warranty any work preformed on there car. Even if I agree to get on board with there program they still don't warranty the work performed by another company period. Going back recalibration, S-lite definitely has to do a recalibration on every car that has the lane departure camera on the windshield because it's not a true OE glass but an SGC AFTERMARKET GLASS period, no matter how they work it. If a camera is mounted to the glass most of the time it does need recalibration, no way to tell until until it until it's not working properly.

Food for thought. With almost every certification that S-lite had to offer I had, when I left the BS behind and went on my own, why do the insurance companies not honor all the certifications I had with them??? I recertified with several of the certifications they honored and none of the certifications from S-lite were anywhere on the list?

Last thing. Pilkington is the OE manufacture for most of Toyota now. So if I use pilkington glass on a Toyota that has pilkington name under Toyota, wouldn't that be putting a OE manufactured glass back in? And yes I do under stand it's no quite the same as using the dealer OE glass which has Toyota on it but still made by the same manufacturer pilkington.

Problem being unless the dot code states that it is OEM glass it won’t recal the camera 17-current @ the dealer for Toyota. Then there is the problem of the manufacturer voiding the vehicles warranty if other than OEM is used on models with adas systems. Subaru had a huge bulletin on this a year ago or so for vehicles with eyesight systems. Then bmw & gm are self calibrating. Looking into the opti aim my self. But for the most part I try to setup replacement at the local dealership so it can be calibrated as soon as I’m done. My biggest concern is my customers safety and there investment.

D R
I worked with S-lite for 17+ years from tech to management. They will do what ever it takes to get a job in there system. Big wings came through regularly to make sure we tell customers that we only use OEE glass, but will have the SGC logo on it. Which is BS. Now that I'm on my own recertified and AGROSS certified ect. And I refuse to get on board to there preferred provider program they tell my customers that call in that they will not warranty any work preformed on there car. Even if I agree to get on board with there program they still don't warranty the work performed by another company period. Going back recalibration, S-lite definitely has to do a recalibration on every car that has the lane departure camera on the windshield because it's not a true OE glass but an SGC AFTERMARKET GLASS period, no matter how they work it. If a camera is mounted to the glass most of the time it does need recalibration, no way to tell until until it until it's not working properly.

Food for thought. With almost every certification that S-lite had to offer I had, when I left the BS behind and went on my own, why do the insurance companies not honor all the certifications I had with them??? I recertified with several of the certifications they honored and none of the certifications from S-lite were anywhere on the list?

Last thing. Pilkington is the OE manufacture for most of Toyota now. So if I use pilkington glass on a Toyota that has pilkington name under Toyota, wouldn't that be putting a OE manufactured glass back in? And yes I do under stand it's no quite the same as using the dealer OE glass which has Toyota on it but still made by the same manufacturer pilkington.
"Last thing. Pilkington is the OE manufacture for most of Toyota now. So if I use pilkington glass on a Toyota that has pilkington name under Toyota, wouldn't that be putting a OE manufactured glass back in?"

Technically, no, even if the DOT matches if it does not say Toyota on it then it is not OE glass. The difference goes deeper than this but it's a very long explanation.

Also, one of the MAJOR differences is not the glass itself but the attachments that are put on it. When making the same parts for aftermarket there's no guarantee Pilkington is putting the same OEM mounting brackets on the glass. The way the glass is transported and stored makes a big difference as well. Most glass from a dealer is protected much better than the bulk purchased glass from a big distributor. In many cases the plastic tabs can be cracked, broken or bent because the crated windshields press against each other too hard or the metal spring tabs can be slightly bent because the crated windshields have been pushing on them for weeks/months during transport. We have seen both of these issues with Honda and Toyota with the same DOT as the OE glass. So far we have installed only 5 aftermarket windshields for LDWS cars and 2 of them did not work for recalibration until we put in dealer glass. We have also done 20+ dealer windshields with LDWS and every one has recalibrated properly.

We have been using the Autel Maxisys for about 3 months now.

Isn't it illegal to operate an electronic device while operating a motor vehicle? I wouldn't want you driving my car

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com