AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Technique decking HV urethane esp in colder temps

A few factors are getting you, Your using product at 50 degrees which is its low temp application limit area so its going to be stiff. Warm it up to 75 and it will soften up a bit.
Second thing is going to be the moisture draw that it will pull as it is moisture cured so the humidity is going to push your tach free time!!
If your glass is above roof your either going to get wind noise but the safety part is that in a roof crush it is not going to catch that top edge of vehicle body.

jm2c

Thank you for the reply Clyde. The glass ended up being flush w/ the roof, not above it but not recessed like I have seen looking at other examples of this truck. Which is why I wanted to reset it. I had also read Bob Baranek's article on exposed edge glass where he noted the roof crush support that comes from the glass against the top pinchweld wall.

I measured an uncompressed bead of urethane I had gunned onto a piece of cardboard before starting and I found that the base is much wider than I expected. Although I notched the nozzle to about 0.30" wide at the base, the gunned bead measures more like 0.45"-0.5" at the base. I think the cold, stiff product was flexing the nozzle as it forced out, making the bead wider tan I expected. I am guessing that the bead being so wide at the base probably didn't make decking the glass any easier. I had read on here that technicians know from experience that in colder weather they can notch the nozzle to produce a taller, narrower bead that will deck easier.

I had left the tubes in the house @ 70F before using them but they probably cooled down pretty quickly by the time I got going.

As far as decking the glass, should pushing firmly be enough, or is slapping the glass ever acceptable to get it to deck down on a stiff product? Steve

Please dont slap the glass. the urethane will be compressed quickly but will rise again quickly causing air bubbles.

Thank you, Slappy, I will focus on sizing the bead more accurately for the application and ensuring I am not working in too low of a temperature for the product.

Thanks again for the tips. I cut the glass out without damaging it (what a relief, this was a new OE acoustic shield), triangle notched my nozzle to about 0.3" base x 0.6" high, and decked the glass so that it sits 2-3mm below the roof line now. I used a BMW glass decking template I found online that I printed to scale on card stock to measure how far the glass was set below the roof line. I had to push a lot harder on the glass than I expected to get it to deck down. Not used to working on such a big vehicle w/ more limited reach. Good to go now. -Steve

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com