AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Urethane Tracing Tool

Does anyone know of a Tracing Tool for help applying the adhesive bead on the bottom of windscreens before setting.

I vaguely remember such a tool perhaps from LilBuddy some time back that assisted in tracing the adhesive line from one glass to the other on windscreens where the adhesive curves around vin plate and complex curves. I understand some glass has dots to assist, but most generic glass in Australia does not.

Thanks

Re: Urethane Tracing Tool

Never....EVER!!! had a problem glueing bottom on body and top 3 on glass...
But i HAVE seen a tool as dwscribed being used.... online.
If i find it ill pass the link

Iv used this method too. And have mostly used the adhesive on the body method for 20+ years with few problems that I know of. That said, id prefer to use adhesive on glass these days. I also know of a large organisation who uses the 3 sides method, so it must be reliable.

However, the 3 sides method means you need to take a leap of faith that the two joints will marry when you install. It also means more adhesive in the corners and extra inches of product. Im sure this method is fine and certainly poses no structural risk. Perhaps there is a small possibility of wind noise should the two joints not marry.

Perhaps others can share their preferred method.

If your joints don't meet up then you hope the bead on the glass somehow diverts the water correctly or you will have ever ounce of water that comes down the rail enter into the cabin area !!
Full bead on the glass is best but you do need to make sure beads line up and you don't create a headache for yourself with huge glob of urethane at the joints for your next replacement in a few years on the same job especially if your doing fleet trucks/cars

I have just used a black marker to copy old and new glass bead. A fiber stick works well for measure on the fly

I use a yellow grease pencil and measuring tape. Using VIN window as starting point I measure old W/S every 6" and transfer to new glass; never had a problem. I also made a couple of patterns from clear plastic that I could tape in place to mark the line, worked great for the DW1640 when they were popular.

use a compass or dividers from geometry class

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com