AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
14 ford fusion cowl, and similar others.......

What is the trick to putting these cowls back on without pulling the molding off the bottom edge of the glass, AND not stress breaking the windshield?

I'm good at the cussing part.

Re: 14 ford fusion cowl, and similar others.......

1. USE A QUALITY HIGH MOD URETHANE THAT IS 30MIN SDAT
2. BEFORE YOU INSTALL PART, REMOVE THE FILLER IN THE TRACK, RUN A FIBER STICK THRU THE TRACK WITH
A TWISTING MOTION TO OPEN UP THE GROOVE.
3. AFTER SETTING, SPRAY GLASS CLEANER IN THE GROOVE, AND ON THE BACK OF THE COWL PANEL
4. INSTALL AT THE PROPER ANGLE! USUALLY PUSHING THE PANEL IN AN UPWARD DIRECTION TOWARD TOP OF
THE GLASS WILL HELP.

Not sure of the Fusion as we don't have them where I am. However, if its the same set up VW/Audi have been using for a long time with the snap in cowl, then it's not too difficult. However, care must be taken else you can break the glass.

I clean the cowl with a rag/window cleaner. Then spray the male section of the cowl with Silicone Spray. I also spray the female snap in section on the glass. Use a spray with a direction straw rather than a nozzle. Its more controlled. Of course do this after the windscreen has been installed. You don't want Silicone Spray on or anywhere near the bonding surfaces.

Snapping the cowl in place after this is a breeze. In addition the spray is good for newly installed side windows. Makes them roll real smooth.

Michael Smedley
Service 8® Pty Ltd

I was told by an associate:

Consider, after cleaning and tweaking the cowl male and female parts, as some said, run a chunk of Ivory bar soap firmly over the male protrusion on the cowl once or twice. Then you have no chance at all of silicone there, even next time. Adding cleaner on the female side is a bonus as well.

JMHNLO

Good advise. Silicone spray can definitely cause contamination.

Freddy
Good advise. Silicone spray can definitely cause contamination.
When the glass is *****d it cant then be contaminated. The contact surfaces are already bonded together.

I believe message was to communicate that the worry is having the silicone there for the next person to get into, and spread it around. Once it's there, you never know where it ends up. The comment was made as a cautionary statement, not intended to be derogatory. For example, silicone spray in a collision shop is akin to Bubonic plague. lol

JMHNLO

I too shy away from the silicon, as we don't actually have any around(work in a bodyshop) but did clean and tried to manipulate the female side, just had issues with the molding pulling off the glass(pilkington brand). Frustrating to say the least. Thanks to all the suggestions though, might try the bar of soap thing next time.

Thanks

Just a little help I hope the name of the manufacture off the glass I always add another bead of urethane to the inside of the glassto the molding to help stiffin it up..

What moron uses silicone, it can cross contimate all kinds of stuff, you tool

I do.

What exactly do you think would be cross contaminated on an already *****d windscreen? Specifics would be good here.

If it does then what about all other elements such as the weather. What about car wash solution, rain x. ArmorAll and other dash cleaners? These would be the worst of all for contamination using your theory. The glass is already *****d, so no harm is done to the bonding.

Il offer you a little forum etiquette advice here, since the tone of your post indicates you could certainly do with it. Rather than come onto a public forum with little more that an abusive comment, try and offer some reasoning. Perhaps give us some of your good advice. It makes it much more helpful for the readers. It may also help you look a little less uncouth, but then again...

Oh, and you could alway use your real name instead of being Mr Nobody. Learn to stand up straight, don't hide behind fake names.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com