AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NAGS & THE INDUSTRY

Can anyone explain how this independent company has so much power to control a price that the Insurance industry uses. Who does Nags listen to for input on there prices. Has IGA or anyone in the industry been asked there opinion. Why hasn't NAGS been back to any glass shows since (BENCHMARK) was introduced ?
I think there would be too much heat. I propose that we take back our industry, get to a round table and tell our side of it. The list prices currently are just no way to make a living. These prices are driven by & lean toward Big Insurance companies. Bud & his team just want to say there a publishing company. Well it's time to publish some real numbers not these made up pulled outta the air list prices. We currently are billing 1995 prices if your on the networks. Networks & the big companies will never help us because they bill a guaranteed price per job. They actually support nags & a low list to maintain a revenue stream from us small shops performing jobs at a reduced price. I know what a few are gonna say now. Just bill full list & bill fair & reasonable. This is difficult to due when you are calling on agents & now the network tells your insured your not a preferred shop. I'm throwing this out because I'm sick of the corruption I have seen for 37 years in the Industry. I urge IGA or some new start up to join forces to work with or class action against NAGS,INSURANCE CO'S,ETC. You all can do as you please to run your business the way you see fit, I don't wanna be a door mat anymore so you decide. I look forward to comments from the Trump administration & all of you. I encourage writing your congressmen,Insurance commissioner & others that will lend a ear.

Re: NAGS & THE INDUSTRY

What region of the U.S. are you?

My friend, instead of concerning yourself with what NAGS does and why NAGS does it, and what NAGS should do and what NAGS shouldn't do and what we should tell NAGS and what the government should do about NAGS-- I have a suggestion: ignore NAGS, TPA's, and networks and operate your glass company like a business person.

LEFT COAST

Benchmark. Repeat it over and over until you understand what it means. It IS NOT a list price. At the time of the rebalance (look at your 2005 Nags book) there is a chart showing how to MARK UP the benchmark. I couldn’t care less who Nags is in bed with. I take their benchmark and come up with a formula that works for me. It’s no different than cost plus, but I can argue (and I do successfully) that I’m using the numbers that the insurance industry insists on.

Freddy
Benchmark. Repeat it over and over until you understand what it means. It IS NOT a list price. At the time of the rebalance (look at your 2005 Nags book) there is a chart showing how to MARK UP the benchmark. I couldn’t care less who Nags is in bed with. I take their benchmark and come up with a formula that works for me. It’s no different than cost plus, but I can argue (and I do successfully) that I’m using the numbers that the insurance industry insists on.
the numbers that the insurance industry insists on

Indeed.

My friend Freddy, you too have much to learn about running your own business.

When I used to fight short pays [which over time I no longer had to do], I demonstrated the reasonableness of my billing without need of references to the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny,--- or NAGS.

Whatever works for you. I’m guessing what we bill isn’t that different regardless of what “formula” we use. I’m profitable. That’s all that matters to me. And if I use a Nags part number to identify the part installed so be it. To each his own.

Freddy, appreciation for the convenience of the publisher's part numbering system does not require acceptance of the publisher's price mythology.

Carlos
There’s nothing mythical about how I bill. I decide what to charge. When insurers short pay me I collect. I’ve been doing this for almost 40 years, and I’ve always been profitable. If you’re making money I’m happy for you. And yet I’m making money and you criticize me and say I’m not in control of my business. I guess I can’t win. Basically anyone who doesn’t do things your way is a fool. So there really IS only one way to do things. You should sell your secret formula.

I apologize that I offended you, Freddy. It was not my intention. I am happy your business is profitable. I just go off like a rocket whenever I see NAGS pricing used in anyway-- even as a starting point for marking up from it. It bestows an unwarranted and undeserved aura of credibility on those ridiculous and phony prices which are concocted with no basis in reality solely to benefit insurance companies and no one else.

I hear what you’re saying. But I’ve been fighting short pays successfully since 2004, and like it or not, the powers that determine whether I win or lose give credence to Nags because of the insurance industry. So I fight fire with fire. I use Nags, but I use it in a way that suits my margins, not insurers. All I’m saying is there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Kudos if what you do works for you. The real problem is shops that sell themselves short and refuse to fight short pays. We still have invoices that reflect the early 2000’s. Most are givin stuff away at 1970’s prices.

Hey, I started this thread moaning and groaning about NAGS and all the comments are about bypassing it instead of addressing my moans and groans! What's going on?

TRUMPS TEAM
Hey, I started this thread moaning and groaning about NAGS and all the comments are about bypassing it instead of addressing my moans and groans! What's going on?
I didn't write that.

I'm an accredited windshield replacement shop in Manitoba, Canada and with MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) they follow NAGS pricing to a T. (Using Mitchell eGlassClaim) So for my windshield replacement business, I have no say when it comes to glass claims, and whatever NAGS pays, that's what I get.
Of course if I do replacements outside of an insurance claim, i'll follow my own pricing as I can't charge customers NAGS rates!

Nags pays you to replace glass? Too funny.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com