AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Raising my prices to keep up with rising costs

Dear valued AutoGlass Customer and insurance companies
Due to the price increase recently announced by our primary suppliers as a result of rising costs of raw materials, a market price increase will be implemented with an effective date of Monday, February 19, 2018. All Insurance companies, Tpa's and cash
paying customers will be notified.
Due to rising cost's and inflation I am raising my prices 20%
Our Auto insurance rates have skyrocketed — and in ways that are wildly unfair
Auto insurance rates have increased at more than twice the rate of inflation recently.
So I am having to raise my rates to stay in business.
Look at Pilkington, Pilkington NSG announced it was driven to increase the price of all of its auto glass products by 7.5 percent, according to my sales rep.
Folks please follow my lead here, quit being bottom feeders and be in business to make a profit.
Our accountant last year was charging us 50.00 per hour this year she sent me a letter
stating she was increasing her hourly to 60.00 per hour.
My installer was making 70.00 per install and this year he is asking for 80.00 per install.
Our company Atty. was 325.00 per hour last year and this year he notified us that his
hourly has increased to 400.00 per hour.
The taxes on our building went up this year.
Everything is going up but nags.
How do they justify the pricing as it keeps going down can any one out there
explain how they continue to deflate the pricing. And how they can justify it.

Re: Raising my prices to keep up with rising costs

Auto Glass Shop
Dear valued AutoGlass Customer and insurance companies
Due to the price increase recently announced by our primary suppliers as a result of rising costs of raw materials, a market price increase will be implemented with an effective date of Monday, February 19, 2018. All Insurance companies, Tpa's and cash
paying customers will be notified.
Due to rising cost's and inflation I am raising my prices 20%
Our Auto insurance rates have skyrocketed — and in ways that are wildly unfair
Auto insurance rates have increased at more than twice the rate of inflation recently.
So I am having to raise my rates to stay in business.
Look at Pilkington, Pilkington NSG announced it was driven to increase the price of all of its auto glass products by 7.5 percent, according to my sales rep.
Folks please follow my lead here, quit being bottom feeders and be in business to make a profit.
Our accountant last year was charging us 50.00 per hour this year she sent me a letter
stating she was increasing her hourly to 60.00 per hour.
My installer was making 70.00 per install and this year he is asking for 80.00 per install.
Our company Atty. was 325.00 per hour last year and this year he notified us that his
hourly has increased to 400.00 per hour.
The taxes on our building went up this year.
Everything is going up but nags.
explain how they continue to deflate the pricing. And how they can justify it.
Mr. Auto Glass Shop--

You must go to your house of worship and pray to God that NAGS will treat you better.

Better yet, pray to NAGS directly because they appear to be your god.

And always, always, always remember: NAGS, insurance companies, TPAs, and networks love you and care about you and will always take care of you.

"Everything is going up but nags.
explain how they continue to deflate the pricing. And how they can justify it."

Can anyone explain why so many glass fools refuse to run their own businesses and continue to concern themselves with what Nags does and doesn't do?

Hey Auto Glass Shop, stop kvetching and charge more.

Perhaps some of you are in a market that is favorable, but before you go slamming someone about raising their prices take into consideration that some of our markets are completed controlled by tpa's, and insurance companies, or surrounded by at least 20 bottom feeders in a 10 mile radius. So easier said than done. People are in dire straights and if they find they can get a job done for even $20 less somewhere else, you must be a thief for trying to charge so much. So good for you all in those happy charge what you wish places but if you cant produce some sort of productive answer for the others than why bother replying. Families are depending on some income so if a job needs to be done for $20 less (example only) to land it, your going too take it.

not all the same
Perhaps some of you are in a market that is favorable, but before you go slamming someone about raising their prices take into consideration that some of our markets are completed controlled by tpa's, and insurance companies, or surrounded by at least 20 bottom feeders in a 10 mile radius. So easier said than done. People are in dire straights and if they find they can get a job done for even $20 less somewhere else, you must be a thief for trying to charge so much. So good for you all in those happy charge what you wish places but if you cant produce some sort of productive answer for the others than why bother replying. Families are depending on some income so if a job needs to be done for $20 less (example only) to land it, your going too take it.
Hey, not all the same---

Charge $50 less and get ALL the jobs! Why worry about making a profit, let alone a return on investment? Let the bottom feeders be your business model!!!

Exactly XN. Charge what you’re worth. When you charge low prices that indicates you realize you’re no better than your competition. If so don’t whine or make excuses. We do superior work, charge accordingly, and when we’re short paid we collect.

lol, you guys dont get. Its not about me, we, or us in some markets its just about the customers and what they will pay. Superior work or not. When 80% of the surrounding client base are calling around to 10 different places and the end all is $$$ there is not much you can do. Your left trying to weed out those who are willing to spend for a quality job but that is far and few between. You make it when you can and you suck it up on the others. Of course there is a big difference when your talking about 1 single person working out of their van with very little overhead. you can pick and choose, land a few jobs for the day and make good money vs a small business with brick and mortar, insurance, property taxes ect.. while trying to support 8 to 10 families. But you guys know everyones market best so ill just let it go here.

not all the same
lol, you guys dont get. Its not about me, we, or us in some markets its just about the customers and what they will pay. Superior work or not. When 80% of the surrounding client base are calling around to 10 different places and the end all is $$$ there is not much you can do. Your left trying to weed out those who are willing to spend for a quality job but that is far and few between. You make it when you can and you suck it up on the others. Of course there is a big difference when your talking about 1 single person working out of their van with very little overhead. you can pick and choose, land a few jobs for the day and make good money vs a small business with brick and mortar, insurance, property taxes ect.. while trying to support 8 to 10 families. But you guys know everyones market best so ill just let it go here.
not all the same--- you need to take whatever money you can get for your inventory, supplies, and vehicles and sell them and put the money into the stock market or a savings account. Then you need to go to work for somebody and not be in business for yourself.

Yup. I have employees, brick and mortar, and all the usual expenses. I also have dozens of competitors including the big S, other low price high volume shops, small shops on the networks, and the one man one truck bottom feeders. I still refuse to cave in to low ball pricing and 40 years down the road I’m still profitable and still in business. I guess I just don’t get it. Maybe I should get out of the business.

Ok thank you for all your words of wisdom and again I'm very happy for you. At no point did I say I was an owner or that I was having a big problem staying in business. Merely pointing out that it is not all ways that easy in some other marketplaces. But again very productive conversation.
you guys are the best!

And again I’m simply making the point that those who are willing to operate at low or below margins have created the problem. And yet they complain. But hey, it’s a free country.

A guy took his truck out to an orchard and bought a load of apples at two for a dollar. He went to a street corner in the city and sold them for fifty cents each.

When he was sold out at the end of the day, he counted his money, scratched his head, and counted it again. He decided he needed a bigger truck.

When that didn't work out either, he decided to go into the auto glass business.

There are some people (?) in business that think if you sell a product for $0.99 that your cost is $1.00, as long as you sell enough of them, at some point you will start to make money!

Nifty 10
There are some people (?) in business that think if you sell a product for $0.99 that your cost is $1.00, as long as you sell enough of them, at some point you will start to make money!
Uh,gee, Nifty 10, isn't that pretty much what Carlos just said before you?

Dallas Texas
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee dw2028

Low price auto glass $140
Scorpio $189

Compete with that

I would pass on the **** cars and only install luxury cars.
these customers pay accordingly not looking for cheap looking for quality.
I specialize in a niche market not low ball market.

Low price auto glass
Dallas Texas
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee dw2028

Low price auto glass $140
Scorpio $189

Compete with that
Why compete on price alone? Low ballers are gonna mess up the job, and the customer will think twice next time. It takes time and patience, but when you refuse to match lowballers you end up with loyal customers who insist that your shop does their work. Giving in to low pricing is self defeating. If you do crap work maybe you don’t have a choice, but if you do superior work at low prices you’re teaching your customers that they really can get something for nothing.

As stated before, when are the distributors going to take control of their product. They will let anyone with a cold knife and caulk gun buy glass. No training or credentails needed!

Why try to control what you can’t control? Anyone can buy glass. Few know how to install it properly. Concentrate on customers who have enough sense to not trust one man one pickup lowballers.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com