AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
sealing a windscreen in a 1957 Fiat Abarth 750 GT Zagato

I am hoping to get some advise on the type of material to use to install a windscreen, with semi waterproof results, into a Fiat Abarth 750 GT Zagato.

The car is aluminum over a real basic steel tube frame. The windscreen was originally installed from the inside so it pushes up against the hole in the body, and it floats on 8 small sheet metal brackets held to the inner side of the body.
Because the body is hand made (on a tree stump), the inside finish is not a flush mount to the glass. And because the alloy body flexes with every movement of the car, the glass cannot be glued to the body becoming a structural member, or it will break. I know this from experience.

The original sealing material was a thick black goo, with a consistency similar to chewing gum. Of course the 60 year old material was done, and cannot be reused.

The company I buy most of my glass installing materials from originally suggested power bond hi-viscosity urethane, but i feel if i use this product the glass will quickly be broken.

Can anyone suggest a product, and where to buy it?

Chris Obert

Re: sealing a windscreen in a 1957 Fiat Abarth 750 GT Zagato

use Liquid butyl that sounds like what was used.
it may stress if you use something ridged if the body flex is as described.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com