AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
REPAIR RESIN TOXIC CHEMICALS

Just wanted to see if anybody has had the same observations that I have had . I have been in the auto glass bz for 29 years. I have seen atleast a dozen techs become ill or have a life threatening reaction to windshield repair resin . I have never seen any labels warning of the risk involved in exposure to these chemicals . I have been using protective equipment after I had a bad reaction several years ago . Even if you use gloves and eye protection , you still may be exposed by surface transfer when cleaning or just touching anything in your kit .

Re: REPAIR RESIN TOXIC CHEMICALS

We updated all of our labels a several years ago due to new regulations. They all now have warning symbols and notes stating to read the SDS (MSDS) before use, as well as emergency contact phone numbers.

As a rule of thumb when using any chemical always use nitrile gloves and safety glasses. Depending on the area and volume of chemical you could go as far as wearing a face mask or respirator. Every company will have the SDS (MSDS) sheet readily available for you if you request it that way you can see all the information related to safety and health concerns of a product.

I have been warning techs for years as a friend suddenly had leukemia that they could not say for sure what sparked it, but I saw it coming, his hands turned red from touching it. But what do I know

you should wear gloves

did you ever read the warnings on Urethane ?

Most states have required by law for many years that you have documentation (MSDS / Spec data) for any chemical you sell or use in a place a business. California has had this in place for at least 20 years. Any chemical you use you should have the knowledge of what it is and what it can do to you.

It's what you can't see that will kill you.

I have for years warned my students on the dangers of repair resins. As an installer, I would place the container in my pocket until a leak in the container burnt my leg. Toxic stuff.

Hey, do any of you know smoking cigarettes is bad for you ?
Wake up ! It's not that different that fiber glass resin.
Wear your gloves, wipe your equipment down after every use.

Not trying to place blame, but instead raise awareness...

I have been using repair resins for 32 years, and no I haven't used gloves or wiped tools down (shame on me!).

Just a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with a mass on my pancreas, which I am very blessed in that it turned out to be a very rare form (serous cystadenoma) that is benign.

I have no idea if the mass is related in any way to the use of repair resins or not, as any number of other factors could be the cause... BUT if you are new to this business, take note and learn to use gloves now and make it a habit!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com