AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Has anyone ever accidentally cut the wires for electrochromic mirrors?

Has anyone accidentally cut the wires to the mirror? If so, what did you do to fix?

Re: Has anyone ever accidentally cut the wires for electrochromic mirrors?

This happened once when the wires were imbedded in the urethane and were cut when I ran a cut out knife across the top. The insurance co. (USAA) paid for the dealer to replace the wires.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE THIS MISTAKE CONTACT A COMPANY THAT INSTALLS AFTER MARKET BACKUP AND OR DRIVING CAMERA SYSTEMS. THOSE WILL BE MUCH MORE COST EFFECTIVE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN GOING TO A DEALERSHIP (THE DEALERSHIP HAS NO CLUE ABOUT MOST THINGS OTHER THAN TO GET MONEY OUT OF YOU AND BLAME SOMEONE ELSE FOR THINGS THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND). TO PREVENT THIS THE TECH SHOULD ALWAYS INSPECT ALL THINGS THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE INSTALL AND ADJUST AND OR REMOVE PRIOR TO WORK BEING DONE. IF THE WIRES ARE CUT DURING REMOVAL IT IS 100% THE TECHS FAULT AS THEY DID NOT CHECK PRIOR TO REMOVAL FOR IMPROPER PRIOR INSTALLATION BY THE FACTORY OR THE LAST INSTALLATION FACILITY. THE INSURANCE COMPANY MAY PAY FOR THIS TO KEEP THE INSURED HAPPY BUT WE ALL PAY IN THE END WITH HIGHER PREMIUMS. DO A THOROUGH INSPECTION AND JOB AND THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN!

Pay for the damage you made
let the customer get it fixed at a place of their choosing
its the right thing to do.
don't be cheap your customer deserves a proper fix.
You know that is at the dealer.

It has been a while but yes. Wires buried in the urethane. My solution was to reconnect the severed wires with solder and cover with heat shrink, problem solved. Hoper this helps.

I still disagree

let someone else fix it so any future repairs/issues will be covered by the company that worked on it.
also if the customer chooses the repair shop it now becomes and issue between the customer and the shop they picked.
Just pay for it, you are not an auto electrical expert so don't touch it.
you do something wrong and fry a computer or system in the car
and you will wish someone else touched it.

you are very disagreeable ;)

Thank you I appreciate your help

Thank You I appreciate your help

Yes, I put them back together with butt connectors. IMO, it is up to the shop to fix or pay for...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com