AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
88' Chevy Corvette Windshield replacement

Can anyone help me on a 1988 Chevy Corvette hard top windshield replacement?

Re: 88' Chevy Corvette Windshield replacement

get top mld and sides along with weather strip that goes up pillar and across top.
you may save them but they are alum and not worth trying.
weatherstrip gets old and brittle and if glued down will rip.

if customer wants to do it cheap.
Pass on the job.

Do a search here for DW 951's this is one of the simplest Windshields to do if you know how to do them D doesn't know how to do them. Why would you destroy the aluminum moldings the obvious answer is you don't know how to take them apart. So little time so many butchers.

Be prepared to finding plenty of rust on the upper pillars. May of them are level 4.

Hey Rex, can you take me through a quick walk through, like removal of side and top moldings, etc

REx
I have done plenty and the reason I get them (mldngs) is they are either glued down, sun damaged and faded and generally look bad.
plus they are cheap and just make the job look better when a new molding and gasket are put on.
its a 1988
not only have I done them a ton I owned one.

Is there anything special I need to do on this 88 vet? As in removing side molding? Or anything else for that matter? I am doing this tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks

Screws underneath the w/strip hold on the moldings to the frame. Use release agent or mineral spirits to soften the glue holding the w/strip. Take your time with this and it will come out or open to the point you can get to the screws that I have never run up against moldings that are stuck down. If you do use release agent and piano wire to finess them off. Take your time and it'll happen if you're in a big hurry order all the moldings order the weatherstrip and butcher away.

Thank you, really appreciate your input.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com