AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Theproblem is

NAGS, insurance, TPA's and my little brother! There are probably more things I can think of to blame for the latest round of cuts, but I won't. I blame us.

Every insurer has a telephone and a phone book. All they do is call a few glass people listed on the web or still in those books, and ask for cash price, and presto, down it goes.

I really believe the issue lays in the way the glass business has evolved..

1. Manufactures just want to sell glass.
a. I bet I could fill out credit app for my dog and they would deliver

2. Mobile service.
a.Is there any tire shop, lube shop that does mobile?

3. MSRP for DW1658
a. PGW $2,085.88
b. NAGS $216.35

How does this make sense?

I don't know what else to say, 20 + years and still shaking my head!!!

repairs State Farm 1996......50
repairs State Farm 2016......50

replace State Farm 2001 DW1099......356
replace State Farm 2016 DW1099......275

Re: Theproblem is

$.02, ignore NAGS prices, charge the same fair price for cash or insurance, and your problems are over.

my own man
$.02, ignore NAGS prices, charge the same fair price for cash or insurance, and your problems are over.

Much easier said then done.
In manitoba, autopack has the monopoly. Any and all inssurance jobs are through them, and autopac pays 10% LESS then NAGS. When nags lists something like DW 01753 GBN from their previous 1400 to 550, autopac refuses to pay more then the new listed price. This means my contracted work where i do numerous of these a month, i would have to take autopac to court for each and every claim.

Now, autopac claims who is the bulk of my work, can turn around and screw me over if i begin disputing these prices that all orginate from the NAGS pricing.

Other thread someone said the decrease was 1.6%, im looking at my 2 books now and called nags who just told me that tht 550 is the new price. Thats a 60% hit that my suppliers can barely compensate for.
Solutions? Not use nags? Loose my autopac creditation? Sounds easier to ignore them than it is for small companies.

here is the problem.
Price goes down because Glass companies are willing to give away cash jobs.
which drives down insurance price every year since the beginning of time.

here is how it works

Insurance companies want the best price. (they have the best buying power)

Glass guys will give a retail customer better price than an insurance price.
Then
Insurance company shops parts as a cash customer.
then
Insurance company finds out what we are willing to sell it for retail.
They now know they are NOT getting the best price.
Then the insurance company offers less because they know the game.
(how low you will really sell it for)

You see as long as we are willing to give away our work and give cash customer and better price than insurance (and try to be the lowest price compared the last quote our customer got) we will always drive the price down.
This has been going on for a very long time and its a stupid vicious cycle, that nobody wants to take the blame for.
But we do it to ourselves.
then we blame others.
I am sure this will not be a popular comment but its true every day.
I have lived it for over 40 years in this business

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com