AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lane Departure systems

I just Removed and reinstalled an OEM glass for a fusion, I didn't remove anything from glass, just unplugged it, put it on the shelf and reinstalled it. While it was out there was an error message on dash about the system(unplugged) after I set it and plugged it all in there was no errors.

My question, does the system know its out of calibration and therefore will throw a code letting you know something is off, or will it just not work, and the only way you know that it doesn't work is when it doesn't warn you as you leave your lane?

Re: Lane Departure systems

Yes , yes and yes
It needs recal

The dealers recommend calibration of these units when changing a windscreen. However, im not sure calibration its required if you just unclip the unit and place it back. The reason we're told is that when the windscreen is replaced it may not be set back in exactly the same position as the original to which the camera was calibrated. Apparently the system is extremely sensitive to small changes.

Personally im a little sceptical as the questions I have raised have not been answered and avoided. The only answers I get are the ones regurgitated from the dealers manual.

My questions are, if the system is so sensitive to change what happens if your tyre pressure is a little lower from one day to the next? Several mm in vehicle height would result from this and it would confuse the camera, based on the windscreen replacement theory. Then there is suspension bounce and body roll to consider, how does the system cope with this? In addition the camera is set into a flimsy plastic mount on the windscreen, from what iv seen there is a tiny bit of wiggle here too.

The bottom line, dealers are stating they will walk away from warranty if a dealer windscreen is not used and calibration is not reset after a replacement. However, even the dealer head technicians can't answer any logical questions without scratching their heads and laughing.

The last time we quoted on one of these was a Mazda CX5, it was going to cost approx 3k with OE glass, calibration and our installation. This is not an exotic vehicle either, its a family SUV that costs about 30/35k retail.

If your customer wants to keep their dealer warranty then unfortunately they will have to pay for the calibration. Personally I am advising all customers to stay away from this technology unless manufactures put it in the front grill or badge. Placing these gadgets on the most fragile part on the vehicle is designed to bring more business into the dealerships in my opinion.

What's more, like most new gadgets its about as reliable as voice commands for your cars phone system. I am amazed at how manufactures get away with releasing electronics that are in beta phase and make customers pay a premium to do the testing. We tested one of the collision cameras with cardboard cutout of a man and we ran over the cut out before the vehicle stopped. Of course the manufactures are stating its only an assistant. It can not, and should not be relied upon. If this is the case then what is the customer paying for.

The dealers do not require recalibration the vehicle manufacturers do. Dealers are clueless. Many are just receiving their 2015 model training now.

As to advising some one to buy or not buy a safety system in a vehicle because of your personal opinion is a liability I would not want. You could be sued for that recommendation. Many people love these systems and rely on them every day.
This is one reason why they will be standard equipment by 2018 on almost every car sold in U.S.

The ADAS operates on a series of sensors that also work with other systems. When one sensor or a component is malfunctioning the ADAS will disable. It will also disable if the camera is obscured by snow or rain. These disable issues will note on the dash. Just because you disconnected and reconnected does not mean it is operational. The computer does not know you put component in same spot. Proper aiming and angle of camera is critical to operation of preventing the crash or counter steering. This is why any disconnect to service or replace a component requires a recalibration.

The other point is that the computer does know when it is blocked or faulty. The computer does not know the focus of the camera relaying the image is out of focus. It sees images but does not recognize the fuzzy image. This can confuse camera or delay image recognition and cause improper reaction. As the glass can have distortions causing these issues, recalibration would be required by many vehicle manufacturers.

As to other components such as air pressure in tires. Yes, it affects system. That is why if tire pressure monitor shows a change in pressure the system disables or drops out of cruise control and warns driver. The recalibration of the system for many vehicle requires a flat surface, proper lighting, air pressure check of tires and alignment. If the alignment has been changed a recalibration is also required. Especially if the toe is adjusted during alignment.

The recalibration issue does not just affect the glass industry. The alignment for mechanical and all aspects of auto repair are trying to deal with same issues. Just because there is no light does not mean it’s right.

Thanks for taking time to address some of my questions. It opens a good debate, the fundamental principle of this forum, I think you will agree.

Il just quickly clean up the dealer point you made in your post. In Australia the dealers are the face of the manufacture, the front line. Dealers bare only the logos and names of the manufactures. Some dealers sell multiple brands on the same site, however this is getting rare, especially in the city. Its generally one brand, one dealer, one site.

If we buy a Toyota in Brisbane Australia we don't email the manufacturer in Japan for advice about service issues, we contact our dealer who is their representative. The dealer has all the technical information, tools, and trained technicians, or thats what we are to believe from the marketing. It may be different in your country, however, we don't have Wallmart type car dealers here. Only used cars dealers have this set up and you don't take your vehicle to a used car yard for services.

I agree with you that many dealers are under skilled, blindly read manuals and take orders without question. However, since we can't send our vehicles back to their country of manufacture for repairs, then we will just have to do. We will save this debate for another day.

Without meaning to sound augmentative, I'm not sure I am liable for prosecution for advising people that the ADAS system does not work as advertised and is not far from useless, even if I label the system a liability, which I do.

Having them standard on all vehicles by 2018 is a marketing campaign that the industry is selling you, you seem to have bought into it already. I bit like saying "everyone is talking about it", when in reality nobody knows about it. Or, "this is going viral", when in reality they are trying to promote as so.

Even you have clearly pointed out in your post the system is full of bugs. You stated several times that the system can malfunction and get confused. Critical systems that are designed as life saving device should be tested thoroughly before roll out. The technology is simply not ready for public release and even if you disagree, one of the most fragile places on the vehicle is not the place to mount it.

If the sales rep in the dealership told the customer exactly what you have just broadcast, then many customers would want to avoid the many possible problems that could occur with this system. I can't get my wife to fill the car up with fuel, never mind check the tyre pressure each morning so the ADAS system will work. Seriously, even if you are a cheer leader for the system, you have to agree its far from complete.

Yes, as you pointed out this is my own opinion, however it is based on personal experience and enquiries with the dealer who sells and services ADAS. As technical experts for windscreen replacement, we like to question why the dealer insists on system calibration and then claims no liability if you have a have a crash due to the system not performing. We simply want to know what we are purchasing here. We don't want our customers to purchase an empty promise that costs thousands of dollars to service and maintain. We get enough of this nonsense from the insurance industry.

The information you have shared with the illusion of fact is just your opinion too without references. Are you obtaining your information from the internet, or actually working with the system? The least you could do is tell us your name and business position instead of hiding behind 2272.

Im not trying to be clever here and cause augment, this kind of debate is helpful for the industry. However, before I can take your post seriously I need to know your information has not been cut and pasted from a CNN news/marketing report and a faceless forum member is regurgitating the article. Your name would be good here, along with your source of information.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com