AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glassbytes posts the CEO Lubner (Belron/Safelite) stories on Dec 14 & Dec 15

Good job, Glassbytes. Wonder why few read stories here or post here anymore? You fawn all over them, Glassbytes. To the rest of us they are unethical, dirty players.

Re: Glassbytes posts the CEO Lubner (Belron/Safelite) stories on Dec 14 & Dec 15

Glassbytes is to report the news. You can make of it what you want. The fact is that Belron IS going to come up with a way to calibrate. It is currently being done in Europe. Once they are able to they will promote the heck out of it to the insurance companies. "The one stop glass shop" The question is what will you do at that time. Are you going to continue to stick your head in the sand and pray the work continues to show up or are you going to prepare yourself to begin doing the calibration also. Why not? You will get paid for it. Additional income.

Re: Glassbytes posts the CEO Lubner (Belron/Safelite) stories on Dec 14 & Dec 15

Re-calibration centers are a excellent move for Bel/Safe in order to lock up more Insurance Companies into using them. It's extremely expensive to set up a calibration area and can't be done on the road. The real issue is Bel/Safe has the $$$ to do this because of (in my opinion) their shady business model they have in place. The issue isn't them setting up calibration centers, it's how they get their work in the first place.

when they do the calibration they naturally assume the liability, wonder if there is a charge for that. makes sense to let the dealers do that and assume the liability.

Just because Glassbytes runs a story doesn't mean they are "endorsing" it. They are reporting it. And maybe I am in the minority, but I sure as heck like being able to know what my biggest competitor--probably all of our biggest competitor--in up to.

IMHO, Smoke Signals and SGlass have this pretty well covered re: the basic, simple, and singular issues.

I would point those out with questions to ask.

How is it that Belron has this proprietary dealer only technology/software/data/information?

If they do have it, where did they get it?

Do the car manufacturers and their dealers that expect to drive their own sales via their proprietary tech know that Bel has it?

Did Bel develop their own version by hacking into the OEM systems and reverse engineering, or do they have OEM endorsement that they can pass on to the consumer to assure them of warranty retention and OEM approved safety system restoration/maintenance/operation?

There are more, such as the liability they would assume in any case, least of all if they DO have a back door into the proprietary OEM data/procedures, such as their ownership by D'Iteren, a major car dealer.

In any case, in that the dealers themselves are just getting up to snuff on the learning curve on this, and noting ABRA's recent press from it's talking head about the necessity of a DEALER OEM recalibration, not one from ABRA, if I read correctly, I'm guessing Lubner is providing "forward looking statements". lol

JMHNLO

One observation when reading the article was Mr. Lubner's quote, “All of these ADAS programs have cameras mounted on the windscreen and we are going to have to replace these windscreens and calibrate the systems,” Lubner said. “It is not only going to be critical from a safety point of view, it’s also critical for insurance companies that the people they get to do this are doing it right.”

Apparently, in Europe the policy holders do not get to choose what service provider gets to work on their vehicles. If the insurance company makes that decision, they inherit the liability for the decision.

Here, the policy holder gets to choose their service provider. (Except in the auto glass business -LOL)

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com