AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Looking For An 2015 Explorer Windshield

Can't believe this has become such a hassle.

I have a customer that has a 2015 Explorer. I believe I need a DW2204. However no one stocks the 2204. I can find a 1843 in FYG at Mygrant but customer wants Carlite. She sent me pic of the bug and that glass is a DOT 904 with a Carlite branding (PGW). PGW does not stock (and has not) either number. Pilk has a 1843 in AZ. Those are my only three options in the SF Bay area

I called local Ford dealer and was given a retail list in the low $300s using the VIN. The parts guy opined that he did not believe that it has a rain sensor. I can order glass but glass is east coast and 10 days away. That looks like my only option. From a cost standpoint, its reasonable (just not fair however) compared to the lack of options I seem to have

Can anyone explain to me why is such a popular vehicle's windshield a non- stockable part? Since when has the Explorer become a glass pariah in wholesale? There are a bunch on the road and California roads are falling apart, one would think a distributor would carry replacement glass for them.

FYI the local dealer carries the side moldings in stock and its my plan to buy and install them. The design seems not to have changed much over the past few years so removal is still presumably tricky.

What has my NorCal brothers done in this situation? Inquiring minds would like to know

Re: Looking For An 2015 Explorer Windshield

As much as we bash them, have you checked with Service AutoGlas? They seem to have these when I need them in Carlite brand.

There is are a few of the DW2204 GGY CAR east of the Rockies. Time or Money is what it will take to get it to you. Your friendly PGW salesperson should be able to help you get the part.

I would just like an explanation why a common vehicle's windshield is not readily available.
PGW makes the darn thing and their call center says that they have never stocked the part in any brand. Pilk says the same. Mygrant has a few cheap FYGs in various locations.

Service as much as they probably stock various OEM brands like Carlite and Carlex will never be an option for me until I have no other ones left. It's a small one man protest against a monolithic corporation that wants to crush its competition and my wish is to see it implode in my lifetime.

Mygrant stocks a DW02204 GGY Carlite in Tempe AZ. I just fired the number in there real quick because i was curious. I'm probably a month too late responding to this anyways.

I have suffered the usual issues ordering glass thru domestic dealerships. The glass took 10 days to be shipped from glass vendor and came in broken around Dec 20th. It was immediately re-ordered and as of today , still not been received

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com