AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How to install a winshield without using the gaskets and seals

Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum. I need some info on how to replace a windshield on a classic car that i am restorring.

Where i live i do not have access to an auto glass installer so i have to either do it myself or arrange for a technician to fly here but that will cost a lot of money. I have intalled a windshield before but it was a straight cut job. Used urathane to istall it and it was fairly easy. This time im working on a 1978 Porsche 928 and the windshield came with a gasket as well. I cant find this gasket anywhere except from one place but again its prohibitively expensive. So my question is. Do i really need to install the gasket or can i just use urathane? Will i need to space the windshield somehow? By the way the gasket i took off cannot be reused. It got hard as plastic and crubmles.

Also the rear quarter windows are leaking and those are installed using a gasket too and no urathane. You know. The type you install using a string. Those gaskets are also junk and also extremely hard for me to get here. Can I install those windows with urathane alone? Is this commonly done? And how would i go about this?

This car is not worth much even in good condition so im not looking to brake the bank but i do want to be safe. So how would you guys go about this if you couldnt find the gaskets and seals?

Re: How to install a winshield without using the gaskets and seals

The glass will be smaller than the pinchweld to be able to use urethane. The gasket provides that gap distance, basically you would have to weld in more metal to create more of a flange to be able to "redesign" the installation. Your flirting with a disaster/money pit.

Re: How to install a winshield without using the gaskets and seals

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/porsche/928/477898011a/1984-year/s-trim/4-7l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/glass-windshield-scat/?part_name=installation-kit

These are glued in like the 924's. Use urethane and primer. 1/4's are rubber gaskets. Do a google search for Porsche 928 parts. HTH

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com