AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How Does Your Shop Handle Warranties

Just curious with auto glass technicians paid hourly not sub-contracted. How does your shop handle accountability for autoglass technicians that have warranties. Example:

Technician breaks glass installing it or damaged in van.

Technician scratches paint or cuts dash?

Air or water leaks?

Having to go out and fix wipers or rain sensor not working when it is suppose to be checked before installation is completed.

Windshield is pulled before checking and then having to run and pick up the correct one.

Are you being docked pay? Having to go out on your own time to fix it.

Does your shop have monthly incentives for the amount or % of jobs completed without warranties.

Just curious of different programs and policies out there when handling these issues that have worked. I know we are only human and mistakes will be made, just curious of how different shops handle them other than multiple offenses and being fired.

Please respond with what and how they are handled. Thanks for your input.

Re: How Does Your Shop Handle Warranties

All these things happen in the industry. We pay our installers by the job, not the hour. As far as damages is concerned, if it happens not too often, then we will just eat it. If these things seem to be a pattern, then its time to cut ties and go separate ways. Charging installers for damages does no one any good. The company I used to work for would do "payroll" deductions for stuff that would break. No one was happy, call offs, etc. One thing i will say being a owner and installer, sometimes it's ok to say NO to customers who want a cheap windshield replacement. Some side mouldings are difficult to remove, they break, blah blah blah. Good to decent help is hard to find, taking money out of their paycheck for something that broke.... is it their fault or the person who scheduled the job without telling the customer something might be needed. Just me 2 sense...

Re: How Does Your Shop Handle Warranties

I was reminded of a Camaro BG back in 86 when I was 2 weeks into a new job (had 11 years in industry at that time). This was one of the lift gate backs and I blew it up! Went into the the office, broke the news expecting walking papers and was told "if glass didn"t break, we'd all need to find a new line of work". Water and air leaks I always wanted to fix myself so I knew what I did wrong and didn't repeat the mistake. In 35 years of working for others (4 shops) I was never docked for breakage or redo's, but I didn't have that many. John

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com