AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DIY windshield replacement

I am living overseas and have a smashed windshield on a newer subaru outback. Seeing as there are no glass professionals around, I have no choice but to bring in a windshield and do it myself. I have never done this before and obviously I want to do it right. I have studied the process and think I have it down. The question is what urethane to buy for a one time installation. The obvious choice is 3M 08609 Window-Weld, as it is available with glass and pinchweld primers on amazon, but the pros don't say much about it. Is is a good urethane and if not, what is that is available online? Drive away time does not matter. Also any tips on tools necessary for a one time install? Again speed is not important but I will buy whatever I need to do it correctly. Any advce is appreciated. Again I would not DIY if I had a choice.

Re: DIY windshield replacement

Where do you live? 3m is junk

Havana, Cuba. I will fly back to Miami to pick up the windshield and whatever materials I need. I ended up reserving a windshield today through safelite, and they said they would include urethane and primer they use for a small charge, so I hope they use the good stuff.

Sam
Havana, Cuba. I will fly back to Miami to pick up the windshield and whatever materials I need. I ended up reserving a windshield today through safelite, and they said they would include urethane and primer they use for a small charge, so I hope they use the good stuff.

Safelite uses a hot applied urethane, so you better hope they don't give you what they use.. But I am sure they have some progrip cold applied that will do fine. Get an extra tube and practice running a bead. And good luck.

I'll send you some urethane for some cigars.

Rock
Sam

Safelite uses a hot applied urethane, so you better hope they don't give you what they use.. But I am sure they have some progrip cold applied that will do fine. Get an extra tube and practice running a bead. And good luck.

Safelite does not use Hot applied products in all applications, not sure where you get info from? They use sika mach 30 which is cold applied also. Why would they use a heated product in florida when its already 100 degrees down there? The cooling time would take forever from 180 down to 100 in that area. In northern areas its applicable because the cool down is way fast.

I will send you some SRP Urethane for free you can send your Cigars to Rick he is a good man. Send the location in Florida to don.ford@shatrproof.com and I will make sure you get some urethane!!!
I am assuming you are one of the Military serving our country. if so God Bless you for your service.

Don! how the hell have you been?

Sam if you can hold off a little longer @ the rate our fearless leader is making nice with all the wrong dictators Safelite will probably have mobile units in there before Christmas.

are you still in St Louis??

Thank you for your offers of help with the urethane - safelite assured me they would provide urethane that I could apply with a standard caulking gun so I assume that would not require an oven or anything.

You need at least a 26 to 1 caulking gun to pump urethane. Not a standard hardware store gun.

Rock
Sam

f

Safelte is not going to use the hot applied urethane anymore. Going with cold applied from sika, just found out yesterday.

Those that ask for Cuban cigars show that they really don't know cigars.
it is a myth and legend ONLY.
but it may be more fun for some to talk about smoking a cigar rather than smoke one..LOL

Most of the great Cuban cigar makers left Cuba long ago and now grow in Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala to name a few.

Don't waste your time trying to get Cuban Cigars, there is no need.
Go to your local cigar shop
and buy a Cigar and smoke it. then ask them about the myth of the Cuban.

The only reason you wanted one was because you couldn't get one.
but now you can get em here anyway the embargo was lifted.

hecho a mano all the way
Happy Smokin.
The Cigar Smokin Glass Guy

Thats all we need, someone that smells like an ashtray installing glass. Would you want someone with a death wish installing glass in your vehicle. You sound smart but I wondetr................

No don I am not I will shoot you an email

Well I packaged my new windshield in a LCD TV box with mucho foam padding and miracle of miracles it arrived at Jose Marti airport intact - where it was immediately confiscated by Cuban customs as illegal contraband. I never thought a windshield could undermine the revolution but I guess they don't take any chances. Much paperwork and several weeks later they finally gave me permission to pick up my windshield. I just installed it today. Not an easy job but I am satisfied that I did better than the cubans would do, even if I gave them the right urethane. I used a craftsman $30 pneumatic caulk gun. I worked like a charm. Started at 90 psi, came out real nice but too fast for me to move around the corners. Backed off to 60 psi and I could lay about 1" per second. The only snafu was when my wife laid her side she could not align the pin so I had to run around, lift that side up and realign it. That is probably not good for the shape of the urethane bead but hopefully we are ok.

I find cuban cigars enjoyable, but no more than othe rquality cigars. I am no expert on that either.

Happy new year.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com