AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Installation question

I'm going to be replacing the rear hatch glass on my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. In order to do this I have to remove what I think is referred to the rear cowling or something like that which house the 3rd brake light. I guess it's fiberglass or something but my question is what is the best adhesive to use when I go to re-install it? Any help is greatly appreciated as I need to get this done before the weather turns. Thank you.

Re: Installation question

the glass on that vehicle has pins that goes thru a set of bushings. Similar to a door. There is a small 3/8-1/2" wide strip of 2 sided tape between the rear spoiler/ 3rd brake light housing. There is no adhesive to the actual installation of rear glass. If You do not have a glass with brackets already on it then you need to just pay a professional to do it.......

3M Heavy duty mounting tape to secure the bottom edge of the plastic to the glass.

Thank you for the info. Can I buy that at any auto parts store and I'm assuming that's a double faced taped.

Yes that is double faced tape. Its pretty straight forward job. Not rocket science, you will be fine.

Planning on doing it this weekend. Anything special I should know about removing the rear spoiler or putting it back on?

Take pictures along the way so you will remember how it goes back together.
Have someone help you, extra hands. Its glass it might break.

Assemble as much as you can on a soft table surface.

If these have pistons on the sides there should be a release clip that comes out with a small flat screw driver.

Make sure you wrenches fit the nuts and bolts correctly so you do not strip the heads.

Don't hit the edge of the glass with anything.
When you are replacing the plastic washers and bolts make sure they are centered in the hole of the glass and when you are tightening the bolts snug them up and then go back and tighten them with finesse. you want them tight but you do not want to "drive it home" tight.

Anybody else?

T1
the glass on that vehicle has pins that goes thru a set of bushings. Similar to a door. There is a small 3/8-1/2" wide strip of 2 sided tape between the rear spoiler/ 3rd brake light housing. There is no adhesive to the actual installation of rear glass. If You do not have a glass with brackets already on it then you need to just pay a professional to do it.......

Since this is a 2002 I would suggest that you spray a penetrant like PB Blaster or at least WD40 on the pins overnight. I have encountered on many occasions where the pins will seize in the bushings from corrosion.

Yeah, the threaded retainers for the bolts are just seated in the plastic, if they are corroded together, you can easily spin the retainer right out of the plastic. If this happens, you can just epoxy the threaded part back into the plastic after you've separated it from the bolt. Don't put the plastic piece on until you've set the top hinge pins and secured the glass, this will allow you to stand on the bumper, with the glass latched closed, and insert the pins without a helper, and without holding it over your head. Hold a magnet next to the little c-clips on the hinge pins when you remove them, or you may never see them again.

Would you be able to explain exactly how to remove the rear spoiler and is the 3rd brake light actually housed in the spoiler or does the spoiler just fit around the brake light and the light is actually mounted to the vehicle.

Dave
Would you be able to explain exactly how to remove the rear spoiler and is the 3rd brake light actually housed in the spoiler or does the spoiler just fit around the brake light and the light is actually mounted to the vehicle.

I would suggest you contact a local auto glass professional in your area. This is not a very difficult procedure for a professional and you may be surprised at how inexpensive it would be just to pay them. You can find resources on google which may provide you with illustrations and if you are mechanically inclined you can feel your way through it, however if you don't know what you are doing you could damage something which would become much more expensive to fix.

When you break the glass, which you will trying to save a buck, make sure to call a professional. I hate to be like this but shade tree crap like this is the rust of this industry.

I know how to install the glass, I was asking about removing the rear spoiler. Sorry I lost my job and can't afford to pay a professional but that's on me. That's why I was asking for some info and thanks to everyone who offered help and advice and for not criticizing me for not being in a position to be able to call a professional to do the job. Guess I'm in survival mode and it's not real fun and a challenge everyday. Sorry if my post offended you.

Sorry for your situation I have been there myself. My response was not meant to be derogatory, just a suggestion. I have at my own peril attempted to do repairs in the past outside of my own field of expertise and later discovered that something was missed that caused damage which could have been avoided. You should also do your research when looking for a service provider. To answer your previous question, the 3rd brake light is attached to the spoiler. When you remove the T30 Torx bolts and cut the 2 sided tape that holds it against the glass, lift the spoiler off you can unplug the brake light or place a drop cloth on the roof of the vehicle and roll the spoiler over and lay it on the cloth.

My response was not directed to you but rather to Realio Dealio. You and all the others have been great and I really appreciate it. I was raised if you can't help or say anything good, then just stay out of it and keep your mouth shut. I guess he can't do that. Once again thanks to you and everyone else for the advice and tips offered.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com