AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Removal Technique By SL??

I was installing a windshield at a dealership when next door a SL van pulled up at a Enterprise lot. It pulls up to a Chevy Express extended van that has the large raw edge quarter glass. Guy confirms the right glass by holding it up and then get a drop cloth. I watch dumbfounded as he takes a hammer and hits the intact glass. It's lami so it just cracks. He goes on and hits it 3 to 4 more times and then pulls out a cold knife and cuts it out. My buddy and I just look at each other in amazement in true WTF fashion. Why would any installer want to create a mess like that in the first place and compromise stability of the cracked piece before removing it?
From there he did the job right. I saw him prime his scratches. I would have used a dam kit to prevent squeeze out but that's me.

Can someone explain this novel approach to lami removal? Is a hammer the new windshield removal tool favored by professionals?

Re: New Removal Technique By SL??

Ok so my understanding of it is S L makes techs on lami that is not cracked or they have to use wire out tool but if it is not cracked or broken they can use cold knife to remove the part I believe they have to turn in broken glass to prove removal using cold knife but I could be mistaken with what I ha e heard

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com