AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Former account manager for Safelite Auto Glass accused of stealing 1.5 million

Gee for having so many rules in place, how do you not know you're missing this kind of money?

http://nbc4i.com/2015/09/01/former-safelite-manager-accused-of-stealing-1-5-million/

Re: Former account manager for Safelite Auto Glass accused of stealing 1.5 million

When a clerical position can steal 1.5...it kind of shows you that there is a lot of paint over some pretty serious corrosion. People Powered. Too busy winning awards to run the shop.

Re: Former account manager for Safelite Auto Glass accused of stealing 1.5 million

Actually, if you had met him you would know that he was much more than a clerical person there and was regarded quite highly within the organization. He alway's came off as a pretty bright person...so sad to see a talented person such as himself throw it all away. I left a couple years ago but I remember him well. I know that there's a lot of SL haters that will think that they got what they deserved but what he did was wrong and I'm sure he'll pay for it dearly...and as he should.

He did it for years....he didn't "throw it all away". It wasn't a mistake. It was planned and executed fraud that took advantage of a gaping hole in the A/P process. The clerical point is still valid. I'm not a hater, but understand enough about business structure to grasp that a 1.5 Mill theft, by someone in a support role, executed over the course of years and numerous transactions, shows a systematic breakdown in fundamental process management and a lack of checks and balances. When is the last time you saw something like this from a billion dollar company? You don't. Exec fraud, yes - clerical fraud? - 20K makes the news for a week.

I wonder if he was short paid or charged backed on his invoices? LOL

What he did was very wrong, but no different than what Safelite does to us every day.

I'll take the blame ... he cut the checks for dealer "rebates" in our market. He was initially flabbergast at the practice ... but then jumped on board and helped for 12 months or so ... then the higher ups shut it down. He must have started the practice up... with himself as the vendor.

Jimmy, please explain the rebate program. I'm intrigued.

It doesn't appear that this guy stole from SL, he more than likely stole from their trusting insurance clients. I think the those clients need to start asking questions about the myriad of conflicts that are associated with having their largest retail "partner" audit their own invoices. This story is red hot if presented to the right eyes.

Jimmy crack corn
I'll take the blame ... he cut the checks for dealer "rebates" in our market. He was initially flabbergast at the practice ... but then jumped on board and helped for 12 months or so ... then the higher ups shut it down. He must have started the practice up... with himself as the vendor.

Are you saying that rebates were given to Dealers for warranty work or Indurance claims that were filed? Wouldn't the rebate be due to the Insurance company who paid the bill or the car manufacturer who paid? Aside from the misappropriation of funds he paid him self, wouldn't this apply to the Dealers he cut the checks to?

R U KiddingME?
It doesn't appear that this guy stole from SL, he more than likely stole from their trusting insurance clients. I think the those clients need to start asking questions about the myriad of conflicts that are associated with having their largest retail "partner" audit their own invoices. This story is red hot if presented to the right eyes.

Pure speculation on your part. Shame on you.

wow.
He did it for years....he didn't "throw it all away". It wasn't a mistake. It was planned and executed fraud that took advantage of a gaping hole in the A/P process. The clerical point is still valid. I'm not a hater, but understand enough about business structure to grasp that a 1.5 Mill theft, by someone in a support role, executed over the course of years and numerous transactions, shows a systematic breakdown in fundamental process management and a lack of checks and balances. When is the last time you saw something like this from a billion dollar company? You don't. Exec fraud, yes - clerical fraud? - 20K makes the news for a week.
Embezzlement happens all the time, a Pittsburgh company recently discovered an employee stole close to $15 million over a period of 34 years.

R U KiddingME?
He couldn't possibly have stolen from insurance clients, no payment mechanism exists that he could have taken advantage of.

the rebates were given to dealers on their recon work for used cars. Hypothetically we flat billed for a w/s at 167.50. The dealer got $5.00 back for every job billed. Checks were made to the dealerships - not individuals. The local sales guys would deliver the checks every month. The checks came fed-ex.

Dealers liked the practice. I was told the funds paid for Xmas parties and bonus pools that the staff would get from dealership managers.

The guy enters a not guilty plea. Not much difference between fake invoices and short pays.
Looks like this guy need immunity, so the whole scheme can be adjudicated. Safelite
expects to punish this guy while following their example.

Our Atty is going to try and reach out to him.

This could open up a real big can of worms for Safe Lite

We have been waiting just like everyone of you,for Safe Lite to make a bad call

that will cost them big.

If you can remember SafeVue Autoglass in Denver that Safelite went after and

sued for a number of different things but what was very interesting one of

their complaints was rebating customers and Ins. Agents.

Well come to find out they had to fire their sales reps in Colorado for

doing the exact same stuff only they had to hurry and clean house before

Safevue counter sued them. Someday they will,like I said slip and it will

all come back to haunt them. We will keep you posted.

Interesting to see if he has any bargaining power. Maybe he has info on a disk or two. Or, perhaps he has nothing. Just waiting to go away for 20 years.

Time will tell. I'll put my two dollars on those devious lawyers out of Columbus.

Good Luck Andrew-Hope you have something up your sleeve.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com