AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
This would be a valuable seminar for Auto Glass Week? Who wants to see it?

It has been approximately 10 years since NAGS went on the road at our industry conventions to tell us re-balancing was happening. Don't worry it will be revenue neutral.

Lets have a seminar that looks at that! Take two vehicles; a domestic and a foreign Maybe a Tahoe and a Accord. Check a windshield, door glass, back glass and then check the then and now discounts.

Just check the big insurance companies.

Farmers is now asking for 53% off Glass, Allstate is 50% off.

I turned down a job from Allstate yesterday the agent has used me for years, I turned it down because my mark up on a Range Rover windshield was 6.00 hard to believe six bucks is the profit that was allowed on this job.

THIS IS THE 100O LB GORILLA IN THE ROOM THAT OUR INDUSTRY IS NOT TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Lets wake up and at least do a comparison to before re-balance to now with the top 5 insurance carriers. I know Belron could care less about this as they sell most of the carriers at GAI guaranteed average invoice.

LETS ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING IN RENO!!!!!!

Re: This would be a valuable seminar for Auto Glass Week? Who wants to see it?

I would enjoy seeing something like this. I would also point out to you that you should work hard with your local glass association to get legislation changed to level the playing field. Those same companies you mentioned, offer pretty close to full list where I'm from. I get paid better than that still by fighting each invoice. I can't take credit for the ground gained in my state but someone before me told the insurance companies to stick it where the sun don't shine .

NAGS rebalance 10 years latter the 1000lb gorilla in the room
It has been approximately 10 years since NAGS went on the road at our industry conventions to tell us re-balancing was happening. Don't worry it will be revenue neutral.

Lets have a seminar that looks at that! Take two vehicles; a domestic and a foreign Maybe a Tahoe and a Accord. Check a windshield, door glass, back glass and then check the then and now discounts.

I turned down a job from Allstate yesterday the agent has used me for years, I turned it down because my mark up on a Range Rover windshield was 6.00 hard to believe six bucks is the profit that was allowed on this job.

THIS IS THE 100O LB GORILLA IN THE ROOM THAT OUR INDUSTRY IS NOT TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Lets wake up and at least do a comparison to before re-balance to now with the top 5 insurance carriers. I know Belron could care less about this as they sell most of the carriers at GAI guaranteed average invoice.

Why refuse the Allstate job? or any other job. Bill what you feel is worth. Dont pay you? Litigate take them to court. They will make you an offer after fighting for so long. Trust me.

There really is very little to have a seminar About what has happened. In January 2005 manufacturers list and NAGS BENCHMARK were the same. Please everyone stop calling NAGS a list price. it has nothing to do with any list. Only the manufacturers have a LIST price Dealers have a mysteriously manufactured list, and of course NAGS is a super secret magic formula.

Now in Feb of 2005 The Nags benchmark was reduced by around 90%. All the insurance co's and tpa's said "do not fear for we shall be REVENUE NEUTRAL". They never said for how long. Am fam started out at nags PLUS 133% And in 3 short months cut it in half to +66 To see what sheep would take the bait. GUESS WHAT 99.9% of shops said "OK". From there systematically all Ins co's have reduced what they WANT to pay by OFFERING shops less. Remember this was not the first rebalance. The first one was in 1999 and it worked so good they cooked up another one, and it has worked perfect for price fixing.

There is only 1 cure we need smarter business people in this industry who have the professionalism and intestinal fortitude to say say no to the D-ictated R-ates U-ndermining G-lass S-hops. the industry need to quit the DRUGS. This was said from the beginning and still remains today.

Now a seminar on how to get off the drugs and detoxify, learn how to gain customers the tried and true way, how to bill, and how to collect, and bill properly, now that would be worth just about any price.

I left all networks in 2005 and am still doing GREAT! More work than I have time for, I do not discount from NAGS, because it is already discounted HUGE! discounting from a discount is not retail, it is wholesale. I am Not in wholesale. When people call wanting the cheapest I tell them straight out it's not me, I don't have time for cheap shortcutting work.

I will be retiring and selling my brick and mortar in the near future, I may need to get into consultation!

I wish you guys would accomplish something in Reno, but what can really get done at a dog and pony show? Prance around and make all look good? That Gorilla in the room is a allot larger than that and it is the 1000's of shop owner wanna be's that think they will make more by doing more for less. Eventually this will fail every time maybe in the commodity business it works for a while but not in the service industry. WAY TOO MANY SHEEPEL

Ben
I would enjoy seeing something like this. I would also point out to you that you should work hard with your local glass association to get legislation changed to level the playing field. Those same companies you mentioned, offer pretty close to full list where I'm from. I get paid better than that still by fighting each invoice. I can't take credit for the ground gained in my state but someone before me told the insurance companies to stick it where the sun don't shine .

OH BEN, what list do you speak of? Surely not NAGS! because NAGS is NOT a list it is a benchmark or guideline. Never shall we speak the language forced upon us by Ins Co's and TPA's. Why does it matter what anyone offers? If I have a hundred dollar bill and some offers me a 20 for it should I accept the offer, or would anyone? an Offer is just that, maybe a starting point. It is all shops who have allowed this process to take over. They offer we accept. Well the day came 10 years ago when I had to learn to say NO.

I better idea, if shops want to give discounts then why not use the manufacturers list just like we used to? 40-50 off manufactures list plus proper labor, kits, moulding tax and off they go. Fight the short pays would be exactly the same they would LOSE big time. I think we would see some quick changes. There is no law that says we must use nags and some do not.

Some very valid points have been made and some will get it. Others sadly will continue down the path of self destruction. NAGS DOES NOT PUBLISH LIST PRICES. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!!!! Manufacturers have list prices. An invoice is formulaic in that you have a number of factors ie: glass, labor, urethane, moldings, mobile fees, etc. You can use any number of ways to come up with your formula, but it better result in a reasonable profit if you want to stay in business.

Go back to January 2005 and see what you were billing. If you're billing less now you're gonna continue to struggle or fail altogether. With cost of doing business factored in, most should be charging more now than in 2005. It's really pretty simple.

Instead of complaining about the b.s. philosophies used by our local schools with their insipid lunch programs, my wife packs a lunch for our kids. My point?

I ignore NAGS except for their numbering system. I could care less what they benchmark or suggest or whatever the hell you want to call it. I never bill thru TPA's. I know my costs and add a profit. If insurance companies pay short, I haul them into court and win.

So you are trying to tell me after labor & kit and Glass you were only going to make $6 , and it was an Agent that has been using you forever? In my opinion that was a poor decision, you can not put one job under a microscope and analyze it, you have to look at the big picture, all the investment you have in that Agent. I personally would have done it, shut my mouth and waited for the next call. SGC pays some **** good labor rates. Oh and you are *****ing about the re balance, but what about the dealer parts SF use to send over all the time and you could only mark it up a few % then take their terrible flat labor??? Oh we are so quick to forget about things like this. Is it perfect? no what is perfect in life.

Also I am very curious to know the range rover part # I bet that your just getting hoses on the price you are buying it for.

I know you will not listen, but if you stop and think when the phone stops ringing that old loud mouth Larry might have a valid point.

Larry

So you are trying to tell me after labor & kit and Glass you were only going to make $6 , and it was an Agent that has been using you forever? In my opinion that was a poor decision, you can not put one job under a microscope and analyze it, you have to look at the big picture, all the investment you have in that Agent. I personally would have done it, shut my mouth and waited for the next call. SGC pays some **** good labor rates. Oh and you are *****ing about the re balance, but what about the dealer parts SF use to send over all the time and you could only mark it up a few % then take their terrible flat labor??? Oh we are so quick to forget about things like this. Is it perfect? no what is perfect in life.

Also I am very curious to know the range rover part # I bet that your just getting hoses on the price you are buying it for.

I know you will not listen, but if you stop and think when the phone stops ringing that old loud mouth Larry might have a valid point.

Actually EVERY JOB SHOULD BE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE! Larry you are an idiot and should not be in any type of business. You cannot justify losing on 1 or 2 jobs to make it up later, you are a FOOL and you sir are a big part of the problem in this once great industry. Every time you open your mouth It should be SLAPPED! I cannot wait to meet you in person YOU ARE A SLUG! You might have a few friends that think you are a ok guy but from what I see you are the problem. Have you EVER direct billed an Ins co? Or have you always bent your sorry a z z z over and gave into the steering? You survive only from referrals from networks and could never survive on your own reputation. Your decision making is based on 1 day not the future and that is where you totally FAIL. You will never succeed over the long haul with your limited thinking. In my opinion you're a part of what is hurting this industry. I am sorry for being a bit tough on Larry the Bachman but this thinking is killing the rest of us who fight for true "FAIR AND REASONABLE!" I have to tell it like it is!

Thank goodness some one had the gonads to say that!

1st off you have no Idea how my business runs. Not a ******* clue, you have no idea how I built a multi state business off MY BACK, not favors but going out there and shaking hands an kissing ass. I guarantee you , that if you dropped the both of us in ANY major city I could with out any network assistance runa a full circle around you.

People that were on board in the begining in 1999 know how much time and effort I put in. I am not superman or stroking myself but I put out quality and quanity with quality parts.

Larry

Well I got real **** to do like rest for tommorrow, you get you team on the phone and figure out how your goign to justify billing $800 for a DW1168GBN

Larry, I have read your stuff for some time. At first, I thought you were some kind of obnoxious flake. But after a while, I have come to have respect for you because you seem like a sincere and hardworking guy with gonads. Why do you subject yourself to networks, NAGS, and TPA's?

Larry

SO Larry let's look at what you said. "it was a poor decision". You can not put 1 job under the microscope and analyze it', that is STUPID, and Bad business in my book, but I have been self employed for only 40 years! YES YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE! But your big picture is narrow and small thinking. You do not look at the real BIG picture of what happens when network drones, like you, do to all others indy's by accepting crap a zzz pricing, then thinking they will make it up later. that is total failure dude!You state you would do it, suck it up and then THINK you will get a better price later WRONG THINKING you are dumbed down. Once you accept crap a s s pricing it will be lowered again! Do you have the ability to learn?????? Maybe NOT! I have tried real hard to respect you but it is very difficult because your thinking is WAY wrong.

I am so sick and tired of guys like you when I go to arbitration and they find dumb sticks that will give away their work for PEANUTS, Guys who can only sell by price alone with nothing to do with quality. I DO NOT charge the most I can, but I do charge what I need to do GREAT work! We are in 2 different worlds.

I have been on this forum from the start, and from what I do remember you came on board about a year after it started because you were scamming another shop in some shape or form, I do not remember the exacts but I saw you for what you are from the get go.

SO LARRY I have tried to resect you, I want to respect you But if you dropped ALL NETWORKS could you survive on reputation? I have since 2005 let's hear from you....

Larry
1st off you have no Idea how my business runs. Not a ******* clue, you have no idea how I built a multi state business off MY BACK, not favors but going out there and shaking hands an kissing ass. I guarantee you , that if you dropped the both of us in ANY major city I could with out any network assistance runa a full circle around you.

People that were on board in the begining in 1999 know how much time and effort I put in. I am not superman or stroking myself but I put out quality and quanity with quality parts.

Larry

Well I got real **** to do like rest for tommorrow, you get you team on the phone and figure out how your goign to justify billing $800 for a DW1168GBN

By the way,,,,, MR OFF MY BACK...... If you in fact did this it, was NEVER off your Back But off the backs of the TECHS you got to come on board with you. Don't you dare tell me it was on your BACK I am Much Smarter than that. I have been around for 30 years plus, so tell me more of your your BS.

And by the way an 1168 in real time fair and reasonable is around $350 bucks you c r a p stick . Any urethane set w/s should be around 300 - 400 smackers done right! That is "FAIR AND REASONABLE". But you do not know what that means! You are part of the slop and droppers all day long! Go a head prove me wrong dip stick!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com