AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bent windshield

Have another question for anyone.
What was the first car to have a curved windshield and what year.
Thanks.

Re: Bent windshield

1947 Studebaker Starlight Coupe

1934 Chrysler Airflow Custom Imperial. First 1 piece curved w/s on a production car.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/imperial/imperial-cars.html

Hey Old Fart-

Good show on the 1934 Imperial.

Now here's one to really test your skills -- What was the first car to have a laminated glass windshield as standard equipment?

Hint - it was NOT the 1927 Ford

Ira (another old fart)

OK IRA I'am stumped what was the first car to use laminated glass.

I believe the year was 1919 when Ford began using laminated glass. the first laminated windshield was Triplex.

Ford didn't have laminated as standard equipment until the 1927 Model A.

The 1926 Rickenbacker was the first car to have laminated as standard.
( Same Rickenbacker as the WW1 air ace )

That's the kind of worthless info you get when writing a master's thesis on auto glass ( many many years ago)

Ira

IRA
Ford didn't have laminated as standard equipment until the 1927 Model A.

The 1926 Rickenbacker was the first car to have laminated as standard.
( Same Rickenbacker as the WW1 air ace )

That's the kind of worthless info you get when writing a master's thesis on auto glass ( many many years ago)

Ira

Far from worthless info Ira. Have any more cool history facts?

It was a 1936 Packard

I like this.
All right boys and girls mobile wants to know what is the application for AS10 or AS11 and has any on every used it and in what.

mobile
I like this.
All right boys and girls mobile wants to know what is the application for AS10 or AS11 and has any on every used it and in what.

Without going to goog, I'd guess maybe aircraft...possibly rocket or shuttle? Or maybe a submarine? Just guesses ofcourse and haven't touched either as10 or 11 before.

AS10 is "safety glazing material for use here bullet resistance is required anywhere in motor vehicle"

AS11A is the same except not for use in a windshield

AS11B is same as 11A except not for glazing windows to immediate right or left of driver and in rearmost window if latter is for driving visibility

I had to look these up !

While we're on the history lesson/ trip down memory lane, when did tempered doors/ vents become OEM? I've seen both in 50's vintage vehicles, but they may have been replaced. Just curious! John

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com