AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New too the nusiness

Hey all ! im fairly new to auto glass , I picked it up rather faster than expected.. But im little jammed up now... my boss wants me to too start going out on my own to body shops and removing Quarter pieces my self.. usually I have a partner or preper... this WAY ITS MORE safer having extra pair of eyes.. But enough about that.. just want your opinions on the easiest ways to remove Quarter pieces without breaking them.... Do you guys use heated machine, equalizer and fein knife, cold knives , long knife, do you use the equalizer viper wire puller? anything of that nature I just listed please get back too me and give me some intel please , I really appreciate it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: New too the nusiness

Ricky,

Just be your self my friend. You will have guys tell you do this dont do that. It is ok to learn but at the end you will do things your own way. You will screw things up along the way but as long as you learn from it and move on. If you are doing Qrtr glasses, my opinion use the wire until you are more comfortable with the cold knife, extractor Etc. Just be very careful not to cut vin plates, headliners etc.

Best of luck

the first thing I'd tell you is every tool has is purpose and place, also it's own limitations and restrictions. The best advise I can give you is look closely to what you are working on, study it for a few minutes before you dive in and have a game plan. I love my Viper tool it is awesome, however if they already have the interior out and the thane is close to edge of the pinchweld some times I will cold knife from the interior. you can save encap parts and moldings easily this way. Also hand wiring with handles is very effective. I use my water bottle for my express a lot to help ease cutting even using wire or cold knives. Do your self a huge favor and learn how to work smart and safe early or you will pay for it like those of us who have shoulder, elbow, wrist, neck, knee problems now. I wish I had this technology and know-how when I started!!!

If you are doing body shops, invest in a BTB tool, it is the most amazing tool you will ever use.

Larry

Id like to thank each of you for your support and help , I think I will do as you guys said and just try and find my own method , just have to take my time and think the whole process through . once again thanks guys for taking the time out and responding best of wishes too you all !!!!!

We all started somewhere and I started in about the same place as you--removing windows at body shops where the car was already ****ed up and being repaired. :)

It takes awhile (at least a solid year of working full time) to learn enough about the different designs to where you can even begin to select the right tool for the job just by looking at it. When I was training the Fein Knife was still being used pretty regularly and that was a good way to take out tight quarter windows, but I doubt if the newest generationof techs even know what a Fein Knife is.

AGN

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com