AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steeling is what it is! Not steering...

I have a Nationwide agent that hashad nothing but problems with Safelite. She says she tried to send the job to me and the network ignored everything she said and sent Safelite the job anyways! So the only way to make sure it doesn't happen again I'll have to be on the phone with the insured and the agent. It's sad this is what it's came to. And all by a Company thats not even American owned!

Re: Steeling is what it is! Not steering...

Just silly. Does it matter a bit whose hand holds the knife in your back, foreign or domestic?

Just wait till your agent has a FREE windshield repair day set up at their office and they e-mail you and tell you to call a phone number to set up your appointment . You call the number and it goes to safelite auto glass!! You own a glass shop and your own insurance agent sets something like this up. The e-mail says FREE, which is a switch and bait to basically make you set up a claim which in the long run is NOT free. My question is what is in it for the agent? More cookies and donuts?

They say they cant recommend one glass shop when I talk to them 4 times a year regarding my own policy, but is this not recommending one glass shop? I hope they get something for doing this thru their office because I will be switching to a different insurance company very soon!! Ive done glass for 25yrs and run a name brand shop with a 100% customer service rating score.

Stupid Question
Just silly. Does it matter a bit whose hand holds the knife in your back, foreign or domestic?
I found that part of his criticism amusing. I'm assuming he doesn't drive a Toyota, Honda, VW, own a Samsung phone, a Sony TV, or any other product made by a foreign company.

What difference does it make that they're a company founded in the United States with a foreign owner? As if having American board members would make them behave in a fashion he approves.

Steering, stealing, stealing, steering. It's all the same. Maybe we should make up a new name. How about steerling?

Some day the Insurance companies may realize:
Pay third party to process claim
Average invoice pricing
Letting a major AGR Company steer most of the work to themselves & put competition out of business
Will cost them more $$$ in the long run

Has anyone read this story on GlassBytes?

AGRR Company Owner Says TPA Withholding Claim Numbers Necessary to Process Claims

A more aggressive steering tactic may be appearing in the glass industry, according to one AGRR company owner. He says he has lost three customers when a third-party automotive glass claims administrator (TPA) would not provide the claim or dispatch numbers necessary to process the insurance claims.

“I am a one-man operation in business for 37 years. I only do replacements,” says Don Cotton, owner of Village Glass Smith in Needham, Mass. “It is slanted in favor of the insurance industry.”

Otto Glass
Has anyone read this story on GlassBytes?

AGRR Company Owner Says TPA Withholding Claim Numbers Necessary to Process Claims

A more aggressive steering tactic may be appearing in the glass industry, according to one AGRR company owner. He says he has lost three customers when a third-party automotive glass claims administrator (TPA) would not provide the claim or dispatch numbers necessary to process the insurance claims.

“I am a one-man operation in business for 37 years. I only do replacements,” says Don Cotton, owner of Village Glass Smith in Needham, Mass. “It is slanted in favor of the insurance industry.”

I read it yesterday. I been in the industry for 10 years and started on my own 4 months ago. I think if i would have been part of the networks i would have been asking for my old job back by now. I tried to call in jobs doing it the right way. After numerous steering i gave up. I now verify coverage with customer start the job and have him call it in while i am doing it. No more steering they are forced to hand over the dispatch number. Sure i get short paid sometimes. Thats when my good attorney kicks in and they wished they paid. Or i do the job and later send the bill direct to the insurance company. Follow up days later and they have my claim number ready for me. Thats just my opinion and experiences.

Unfortunately, we all know steering/stealing happens everyday. Heck, I lost 2 jobs today where the customer called us first then called their insurance company after we get off the phone and poof. There goes 2 jobs and a grand in profit down the drain. I guess the question is what are we as independent auto glass shops going to do about it? We all sit here complaining about it, and nothing ever seems to change.

AGD , we as INDEPENDENT shops need to do is be truly INDEPENDENT! what does that mean? Nothing will change until enough shops will not accept network pricing and bill out what they need to charge to stay in business. The problem is that too many "wanna be" shops accept the network pricing. That is the main problem. Nothing will change until true independent shops say NO, to network pricing.

Right answer Right Answer. Accepting network pricing for fear of losing jobs is what has ruined this industry. If shops would count their costs they would realize it's better to lose a few to the networks and make a fair profit for the jobs you're able to retain. Trying to exist on a large volume of low or no profit jobs is like a dog chasing its tail. You get nowhere.

If you have a reputation for quality work, in time your customers that were suckered into being steered will be back. One bad experience is all it takes. If you're in this for the long haul you just have to be patient.

I totally disagree with the "network" pricing statement. Accepting pricing isn't the issue. The issue is TPA's continually being financially affiliated with a auto glass company. I get it, we've been screwed many of times on short pay's etc. My issue is having jobs taken away from us bc we don't set up the claims for the insurance company. The industry needs to not have any preferred shops, shop owners offering additional discounts, yadda yadda yadda. It should be cut and dry as this....Customer calls company, company calls insurance company claims department, not have glass claims. Oh wait, I forgot all the major auto glass companies are linked to safelite auto glass in some way, shape or form. The guys who have the money are friends with your favorite TPA. If this practice is fair, then why don't insurance companies have a network for general contractors when your house catches fire, or there's restoration work needed to be done. Hey maybe i should start a construction claims network for insurance companies.

Once again, you do not need no TPA or insurance permission to install and bill for glass work. Its very simple. I by no means am not a genius. But i have done my homework and have had plenty of success! just my opinion.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com