AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chasing Hail

Anyone ever had any luck chasing hail? I use to always do the Hurricanes, it was a no brainier.. but what about hail? any luck anyone???

Re: Chasing Hail

I have tried to stay away from this topic but can't help it. Larry no disrespect, but I really do not care for people who chase after where others have suffered, in order to make $$$$$$$. I have always believed in taking care of your local community. I know we all have our differences in how we market and approach our businesses. But over the years I have seen many mobile glass guys and contractors who go to storm damaged areas and HARVEST or farm out the work. And most of their motivation was not to actually help but to prosper from those who have lost.

Overall I have no issue with, that IF in fact, They are there to HELP and not increase their bottom line. I have always believe let the local businesses take care of their community and if they can not handle it they will reach out for help.

Also what I have seen way too many times is the chasers do not care about quality or being their for customers that might have any issues. In FACT what I have witnessed is the opposite, they talk a great talk, great salesman, but real crappy workmanship, and once done BYE BYE they are GONE.

I will say the best way to help in these situations is to have a team that VOLUNTEER the labor. THEN you get people helping people and not looking to profit from others misfortune.

Really Larry if you go out and look to help the local shops in those stricken area's and do it for room and board than I would commend you for being a great guy trying to help people in need. But if you are storm chasing hail damage to line your pockets you are no better than a car wash repair turd. And this is my strong community involved opinion. We are right now getting back on the hail damage from late last fall that could not be done because of the cold weather. mostly residential some auto but we are slammed. If I cannot keep up Larry I will put you first on my list to contact.

I think you mis understood what I was asking, I was asking about working for a LOCAL company that needs help during hail.

Larry

I have sold my business and have lots of time on my hands, and i was thinking of doing this. Not opening my own company in those arias but becoming a (freelance installer) for an established company. With 20 something years under my belt and having time on my hands. And as far as making money on someones misfortune, well that is are business. I have never installed a windshield because someone just wanted to. They where broken by misfortune.

Larry it can be done it's finding shops that to use you. The glass business is based on misfortune of others. Just like pdr, body shops, mechanic shops, tire shops, etc etc

You don't have to worry about chasing it. Safelite sends as many techs that are needed into areas that are hit hard by hail, making sure that their insurance customers are taken care of in a timely manner. It would take the local boys years to catch up.

that works well in the brochure, but when everyone is slammed and tech head counts are 'optimized'...the cupboard is bare more often than not.

Buy Local
I have tried to stay away from this topic but can't help it. Larry no disrespect, but I really do not care for people who chase after where others have suffered, in order to make $$$$$$$. I have always believed in taking care of your local community. I know we all have our differences in how we market and approach our businesses. But over the years I have seen many mobile glass guys and contractors who go to storm damaged areas and HARVEST or farm out the work. And most of their motivation was not to actually help but to prosper from those who have lost.

Overall I have no issue with, that IF in fact, They are there to HELP and not increase their bottom line. I have always believe let the local businesses take care of their community and if they can not handle it they will reach out for help.

Also what I have seen way too many times is the chasers do not care about quality or being their for customers that might have any issues. In FACT what I have witnessed is the opposite, they talk a great talk, great salesman, but real crappy workmanship, and once done BYE BYE they are GONE.

I will say the best way to help in these situations is to have a team that VOLUNTEER the labor. THEN you get people helping people and not looking to profit from others misfortune.

Really Larry if you go out and look to help the local shops in those stricken area's and do it for room and board than I would commend you for being a great guy trying to help people in need. But if you are storm chasing hail damage to line your pockets you are no better than a car wash repair turd. And this is my strong community involved opinion. We are right now getting back on the hail damage from late last fall that could not be done because of the cold weather. mostly residential some auto but we are slammed. If I cannot keep up Larry I will put you first on my list to contact.

Are you kidding me????
What is the name of your shop, Santa Claus Auto Glass?
Volunteer the labor??
"We are right now getting back on the hail damage from late last fall that could not be done because of the cold weather."
Now that is timely service, and YOU are doing all this work with FREE LABOR??
If you want to cut someone a deal if they do not have insurance, you are a prince. If it is covered by insurance, do you cash the check and move on or do you give 50% of it back or better yet split the proceeds with the car owner??
This one is a REALLY BIG.....
Ooops...

Larry
I think you mis understood what I was asking, I was asking about working for a LOCAL company that needs help during hail.

Larry

Larry no misunderstanding here you said "CHASING HAIL". And I did state that if you were looking to work with local people than GREAT.

Ooops
Buy Local

Are you kidding me????
What is the name of your shop, Santa Claus Auto Glass?
Volunteer the labor??
"We are right now getting back on the hail damage from late last fall that could not be done because of the cold weather."
Now that is timely service, and YOU are doing all this work with FREE LABOR??
If you want to cut someone a deal if they do not have insurance, you are a prince. If it is covered by insurance, do you cash the check and move on or do you give 50% of it back or better yet split the proceeds with the car owner??
This one is a REALLY BIG.....
Ooops...

Sally may have been the only one to make a good quote. yep safelight is as greedy as many others.

NOW for mr. oopps and others who think there is no difference from "MISFORTUNE" and a "DISASTER". Do we really have to try and educate you fools? REALLY?

HOW brain dead can you be? When a random rock hits your w/s that is misfortune. when your car breaks down that is misfortune. when YOU don't understand SOMETHING that is a misfortune. When normal stuff happens and causes misfortune that is everyday life, RIGHT? but also what happens, are things of extreme proportion. A major hail storm is more than a misfortune it is a disaster. Can you please wrap your lame brain around this fact?

IN all MAJOR DISASTERS the very biggest thing needed is "VOLUNTEERS". Volunteers are the most important part of our communities to help each other in times of DISASTER not times of misfortune, although some of us do still help others at this time also. Something MR. oopps may be clueless to.

Then Mr oopps poops you challenge my Timely service? REALLY? You have again NO CLUE. ARE you going to re-roof a house in temps under 20 degrees and expect the asphalt tabs to adhere? YOU ARE A JOKE. We have over 40k in hail damage from last September. We watched as some neighbors elected to re roof in oct. nov. and now have to have it all re-done because it was too cold. We have about 20 IG units to do NOW so they can be done properly instead of shoddy workmanship in too cold of temps and have to go back and re-do them all. YOU again have no clue as how to do things properly.

YOU TALK SMART WITH YOUR OOPPS but in-fact you may be the the big oopps.

Your last statement about committing fraud, and giving crap back,,,, you are even more stupid than I have ever thought of or imagined. again you are way out of your stupid arssss league.

Mr oopps you are not even in the glass repair/ replacement business, you really should crawl under your cubby desk and shut the heck up! OOOOPPPPPOOOOPPPPPSSSSSSSS!

Oh and MR opps I had to look back and re read again, so you think I am talking about auto only? You are so shallow. there is allot more to glass repair than auto glass. And yes all auto glass gets handled very quickly because they have to drive their car but houses are not driven..... Sorry I FORGOT YOU CAN'T THINK THIS FAR.

And auto glass can be done in all kinds of weather because we don't do it in the driveway we actually have an awesome shop so weather is no problem and leakers don't happen!

Mr Buy local. You have your business model and opinions and I have mine.
Will put my work up against yours any day of the week.

did anyone get back on topic for this. I have family that does PDR work and could join them replacing glass. But i have not gotten any feed back.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com