AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Has anyone tried the tiny vans?

Just wondering if anyone has bought the little vans Nissan, Chevy and Transits. Can you fit windshields in them?

Thanks

Re: Has anyone tried the tiny vans?

I have a fleet of Nissan NV's with 9 lites...they work great and cheap on gas.

no name glass

Are you one of those guys who agreed with the bailout of GM, keep American companies solvent?? Just askin', if you were, don't you know, you have to buy American vehicles to achieve that goal?? Or was that just an...
Ooops....

no name glass

NV200 ?? or NV1500 cause a NV 1500 is not small.

nv200's

Ooops
no name glass

Are you one of those guys who agreed with the bailout of GM, keep American companies solvent?? Just askin', if you were, don't you know, you have to buy American vehicles to achieve that goal?? Or was that just an...
Ooops....

Are you one of those guys who only uses American made glass?

joe
Ooops
no name glass

Ooops....

Are you one of those guys who only uses American made glass?

No, it is impossible, has been for years. I am referring to LOGIC, that does not exist anymore. You back the GM bailout, good intentions. You buy a foreign vehicle, you do not back up your good intentions with appropriate ACTIONS. Just sayin'. Are you one of those guys that says, Do as I say, not as I do??

Ooops....

Small vans are the 1st step to making a profit, unfortunately we had BIG ass vans. I bet I could put a couch in my van... I wanted NV's that idea was shot down...

I'd love to replace '04 Express with a Transit, but who can afford $35k for a work van? The payment would be more than my mortgage. I might have to look at the NV200s, though a used Transit Connect sounds more like my style.

AGN

When I was at Glass Doc, we had 2 of the original Transit Connects. They were small, but you could work out of them if you didn't have any long windshields. The newer TC's have a height issue. We have 1 at the company I work at and certain ws's won't fit. They lowered the roof line. We also had a lot of mechanical problems with the original tc's and they are very uncomfortable to drive any sort of distance, anything in excess of 45 mins. I'll take my full size van any day.

I had GM vehicles they where electrical nightmares.

My Chevy van is a POS. Still, I'd rather have it than that tc, and I'm a diehard Ford man.

I test drove the City Express (GM's version of the NV200) and found it to be totally gutless. I'll be taking possession of a Ram Promaster City in just a few weeks. Way more horsepower and I think it will do better on gas loaded too from what I hear. A little more cargo room too with more options. If I had employees driving em I would get them a Chevy just so they wouldn't be speeding as much- lol.

Oh... I did find out that the Ford C-Max w/s won't fit in my Econoline either... so it's all the same unless you go with the newer bigger vans anyways. Not sure if there are any other models coming out with a w/s bigger than the Venture/Montana w/s's or not- but that C-Max w/s has to be about 3 inches taller.

We've done 2 C-Max w/s at my shop and they barely fit in my Express. Real PITA to remove and set without help. Forget putting it in our Transit Connect.

Good luck with these small roller skates. What happens when you have a DW1451 or DW1494 GTY, which are semi windshields? Will they fit? Sure, but add a decent size tool box, trash can, vacuum, and other things, i see a mess. Our supplier uses the transit connects and can barley fit all the glass in there, it's right up to the drivers/passengers seats. We have 3 v6 chevrolet express vans, and i wouldn't buy anything else. We turn a good profit by pricing accordingly. Some of these other guys like glass doctor,glass america, and auto glass *****rs make you guys drive hundreds of miles a day, which to me is nuts. You have to have a cut off line at some point to where you service and where you don't...

I have a First Gen Transit connect and while it is tight, I manage to get everything done. Including 1451s.

My old Express van is getting up there in mileage. It still runs fairly well and I like driving it so I'll probably try to keep it around as long as possible, but I've been turning an eye toward the newer vans here lately. I like the idea of something smaller and better on gas and I can honestly count on one hand the times I do a windshield that's two large for an NV or Transit Connect in a year. The biggest consideration to me is upfront cost. The Transit Connects and NVs are still so new that they're priced exceptionally high for what they are in my opinion.

AGN

I was looking at them also, from what I've read transit connect does'nt have a lot of power and many have transmission issues.The nv looks a lot smaller, but the new dodge looks to be a good size but pricey and it has a 9 speed transmission which is most likely great but untested.I think the caravan gets most bang for buck decent size and mileage tryed and true reliability.

NV200 is bigger than transit hands down

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com