AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help!!!! Ethical glass question

Our company has only been in business for a few years. We have only had to deal with one cracked out windshield. I had a customer come in yesterday with a crack on the windshield and as we were starting to repair it, it cracked out. Since customers are already coming in with something that is broken, what is the ethical thing to do for/with the customer?

Re: Help!!!! Ethical glass question

Give them a good price on the window and explain that you know what happens

Glass Gal. I have been in the repair business from the 1980's. first off, is your repair co. a repair only or a full service glass repair and replacement co?

If you are a repair company, you should understand and promote your self as a REPAIR company. When customers come to you they have a broken w/s even a chip is a BREAK in the glass. Your job as a repair service would be to stop further damage, or having the chip to crack out.

The w/s is already damaged, fact 1, the goal of a repair facility is to repair the damage. If in the process of repair the chip were to continue to crack out, it not your responsibility to be liable for the damaged w/s. It is already broken.

You need to educate your customer on this fact. You are attempting to repair damage that is currently there, you are not responsible for any outcome form attemping the repair.

In almost 30 years of repairing I have only experienced about 3 times a chips took off and cracked.

if your company replaces w/s's than it gives you another avenue to retain losses from a failed attempt to repair. be fair, but don't lose your tushie to help your customer. Remember, they are looking for quality service, step up and be that, but don't give out the farm to do so, be fair, make $$$$$ and take care of customer. you will never go wrong from there. Hope this helps.

Thank You! for responding. We are a repair only shop. I have been working as an independent glass repair technician for the past 5 years and this is only the second time I have experienced this. I just started my own business and I of course want to be ethical and fair in order to gain and keep customers. Do you mind if I email you for a few further questions from a 30 year vet????

Ethical and glass repair do not compute. First you don't repair anything you try to make the damage go away but it doesn't go away. The damage can always be seen. So if you want to be ethical get out of your con scheme. The only help you are giving your customers is helping you fill your wallet.

Pat
Ethical and glass repair do not compute. First you don't repair anything you try to make the damage go away but it doesn't go away. The damage can always be seen. So if you want to be ethical get out of your con scheme. The only help you are giving your customers is helping you fill your wallet.

HI PAT,

I AM NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO GET ACROSS HERE. ARE YOU SAYING THAT REPAIR SHOULD NOT BE DONE AND THAT A REPLACEMENT IS WHAT IS NEEDED IF THE WINDSHIELD HAS SO MUCH AS A BLEMISH FROM NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR? OR ARE YOU SAYING THAT STRUCTURAL DAMAGE SHOULDN'T BE REPAIRED PRIOR TO REPLACEMENT? EITHER WAY YOU ARE WRONG. 1. SURFACE PITTING IS COSMETIC WEAR AND TEAR AND IS NOT STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND IN NEED OF NO REPAIR. 2. A BREAK REPAIR IS A VIABLE OPTION TO REPLACEMENT AND IN MY OPINION SAFER THAN BREAKING THE FACTORY SEAL.

PAT,

I AM NOT SURE IF YOU ARE A AGRR PRO, BUT IF YOUR COMMENTS ARE WHAT I THINK THEY ARE YOU ARE A STREET WALKING, CAR WASHING HACK!!!!

PAT,

IF I AM WRONG AND I MISREAD YOUR POST I WILL AMEND MY STATEMENT, BUT I HAVE BEEN AROUND YOUR TYPE FOR FAR TOO LONG AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE THE TYPE THAT HAS RUINED OUR PROFESSION FROM BEING A ETHICAL AND RESPECTED INDUSTRY.

PAT,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR IGNORANCE AND STUPIDITY.

Glass Gal
Thank You! for responding. We are a repair only shop. I have been working as an independent glass repair technician for the past 5 years and this is only the second time I have experienced this. I just started my own business and I of course want to be ethical and fair in order to gain and keep customers. Do you mind if I email you for a few further questions from a 30 year vet????[/quote

Glass Gal, first off I commend you for being a GAL glass repair tech. Way to go! I know a few but very few. And I have trained a few.

Next ignore people like Pat who have no clue to the value of proper w/s repair. You cannot change STUPID! Contact me at fedupwithtpas**********. ? @ g mail . com

I have no idea what type of repair system you have been trained to use , but I will say the only way to go is a vacuum/pressure system. I came from the NOVUS repair system and Have done allot of training, and have worked with the best of the best, and have known guys and gals from coast to coast, to Alaska and beyond.

I am also completely experienced in direct billing, and all facets of billing and getting paid properly without the restrictions of networks.

Anyway what you started this thread about, Yes it happens once in a great while. I have had it happen about 3-4 times in about 25-30 years, when a simple chip decides to take off across the w/s. All you can do as a tech is do your best with the best tools and proper training. Repair works GREAT with the right tech and saves Billions of $$$$$$$$$$$. Let's chat further.......

Glass Gal
Our company has only been in business for a few years. We have only had to deal with one cracked out windshield. I had a customer come in yesterday with a crack on the windshield and as we were starting to repair it, it cracked out. Since customers are already coming in with something that is broken, what is the ethical thing to do for/with the customer?

DRILL AND TAP THEN BACK FILL THE CRACK THAT HAS SPREAD. IF YOU ARE A REPAIR SHOP THEN YOU UNDERSTAND. ALWAYS EXPLAIN TO YOUR CUSTOMER ANY RISKS THAT COULD BE PRESENT DUE TO THE FACT THAT YOU ARE WORKING WITH A BREAK AND LET THEM KNOW OF YOUR EXPECTATIONS AFTER INSPECTING THE DAMAGE AND PRIOR TO WORK BEING DONE. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Pat

Pat proves he is an IDIOT!

Glass Gal

You should ALWAYS tell the customer what the reasonable expectations are, I tell all my customers this can happen and that we will not be held responsible.

I don't think these threads will display email addresses

knockout glass repair at yahoo dot com

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com