AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
w/s repair

Hi guys its your Favorite TPA rep here again, with another quick question, am i correct in assuming it takes appx. 10 minutes for a single repair, lets say its something smaller than or right at the size of a quarter no cracks or fairly small cracks extending.?

Re: w/s repair

No, you are not correct, you are way short.
We with the customer spent a half an hour with you on the phone the other day just getting authorization to do the repair, but we are supposed to spend that time for free, right, along with additional repairs and free mobile so you can pay for what you assume to be a 10 minute job?

I need guys like you to work for me. I'll pay you your full hourly pay for the first hour and then pay you a 5th of your standard pay for each hour after that. I would love it if my employees would agree to that!

I don't own a business, but let me give it a try. For the flat fee of 50, you have to pay a tech his hourly rate for the 20 or 30 mins it takes to do a single repair, if not longer. You also have the cost of the equipment (good repair kits are not cheap), the resins, etc. You have the cost of the vehicle that it takes to get all that to the customer and it's inherent maintenance. If you have an office and a CSR, there's that salary, the building expenses, etc., the cost of the software license, and the wait time while the invoice is processed, rejected, reprocessed, etc.

Now, I'm sure I missed a few things along the way, but it's a guess based on general knowledge and not on actually running a business. I've never run one before. Based on that, that fee doesn't cover a lot when you really look at it in terms of what a business has to output in order to do a single repair.

its fairly simple, if you are only doing one repair and one replacement per day as a shop, then why should we pay triple its value because your buisness is lacking.? i must be missing something here. i didnt realize it is the insurance providers responsibility to pay out for your lack of buisness...

me
Hi guys its your Favorite TPA rep here again, with another quick question, am i correct in assuming it takes appx. 10 minutes for a single repair, lets say its something smaller than or right at the size of a quarter no cracks or fairly small cracks extending.?

You are not even close for real quality repairs. Good cure time should be about 5 min. minimum. And you fail to understand time and costs of FNOL, authorization, combating steering tactics from who you work for, setting appointment, getting there, and completing the service and doing the WORK, finish off the paper work, get signature and customer relations, and closing the service. Then you fail again to understand costs of tools, training, expendable materials, phones, faxes, internet, elec, and shop bills, vehicle expenses, and repairs. Actually when you add up the REAL numbers repairs at $100.00 for 1st and $25 each additional is very fair and reasonable.

I wonder if "me" knows the costs to writing a policy, and the amount or percentage of profit is associated with that average policy. If shops made that kind of profit WOW we would be in hog heaven, and the average auto, full coverage policy would be less than $25.00 a month! Just who is really gouging who???????

LOL there is 70 hours of training in policy language alone to become an underwriter for any insurance company. please explain to me how this is something that is cheap in any way.?
100.00/25.00/25.00 that's the intelligence of a chipi.. i mean smart ride rep right there, i haven't laughed so hard all day, i do appreciate you bringing a smile to my face though, it was much needed. Thanks!

And what does safelite charge for a 1 chip repair?????????? at their own shops or mobile... last I saw was 100.00 opppsssss! Now answer the other questions about the profit from insurance policies...... another big ooopppssss!

me
LOL there is 70 hours of training in policy language alone to become an underwriter for any insurance company. please explain to me how this is something that is cheap in any way.?
100.00/25.00/25.00 that's the intelligence of a chipi.. i mean smart ride rep right there, i haven't laughed so hard all day, i do appreciate you bringing a smile to my face though, it was much needed. Thanks!

Dear me, 70 whole hours? Wow, if it takes two whole weeks to learn what a policy says, either your underwriters are imbeciles or your insurance policy is way too complicated or both. Which is it?

If it only takes you 5 minutes on the average to verify coverage and approve the policyholders choice of service provider, good job. Keep up the good work.

That is really all a TPA should be doing. How much does the insurance company pay your company per claim? Let's see. 60 min divided by 5 min equals 12; 12 times $25 equals $300 per hour. Does your company guarantee your clients an average invoice per "glass only" claim? If so, what is it?

Did you know that auto insurers felt $60 for the first chip was reasonable clear back in 1995. If it was fair back then, why is it the same or less today? Why did they pay for additional repairs back then and not today? Contrary to your other post, the majority only pay flat rates today.

How would you like it if your company told you from now on they will pay you for your first hour but in order to help keep premiums from going up, you have to work the rest of your hours each day for $0?

Is it reasonable to believe that prices for services will be exactly the same at all shops all across the country?

Is it reasonable to believe that costs for all shops all across the country have stayed the same as they were twenty years ago?

Is it reasonable to believe that all repairs or replacements will be exactly the same all across the country?

This obnoxious TPA representative acts like he is giving away his own money! If he really is a TPA rep, and it doubtful any TPA would employ such a nimrod, maybe he (she/it) should remember it is the insurance company's money that is being denied inappropriately to a good faith supplier of services.

ME , apparently has no clue as to what it actually takes to do a job. Me, thinks that we drive up and slam on our brakes and tell the customer to shut up and let us do our work. We shove a piece of paper in front of them and tell them to sign it and then peel out of the parking lot spraying them with more rocks because we have ten minutes to do the next job. ME, the TPA makes more money taking the claim then we do actually fixing the ding on customers glass but thinks its funny to come here and make stupid allegations.
ME is probably a stupid CSR working for a TPA that is good at screwing up the claim process in the beginning. Do you TPA csr's know how stupid you sound when you ask a customer if the damage is longer than a dollar bill when they just told you they have a crack across their window. Unless they drive a hot wheels toy car, the crack IS longer than a dollar bill you tards!

I have to agree with rabbit. Isn't it just a woot when the csr asks the customer really stupid questions and asks them again. The looks from some customers is just classic. And the sign language we have to use between us and our customer is just WAY TOO FUNNY. teaching our customers what to expect when dealing with the script readers really helps. Some customers even love messing with them and getting them OFF script.

I have quit even trying to repair ANY cracks going through a network. It just gives them the chance to bill back from a different job and say your repair failed, yet you don't get a chance to inspect it. They are thief's. Or they try.

Has anyone ever even seen safejunk even attempt a repair longer than 1 inch? They don't have the skills.

I will however do 4-6" cracks for real good customers that we direct bill, and have them stop by anytime to let us see how it is doing. When we track it properly failure rate is less than 1 in a few hundred.

Some things and certain persons should just be ignored, they will go away.

LOL this forum is about the best there is in existence. so we are supposed to pay you to hang out with the customer and chit chat.? thats the most ignorance ive heard in a while, and ive been at my nice cushy desk job for 14 hours and counting. i posted this trying to get an honest understanding of how things went on the other end, but of course when i say up front im a TPA rep i get bashed on, lol no wonder you guys are full on ignorant. if the insurance company wasnt paying us to be here and do what we are paid to do, then we wouldnt be here. sounds to me like there is some unchecked anger that is being spewed off and any one person or organization that it can be, sounds to me like you have an issue with the insureres. in which case why not go to court over it and get an established set of "fair rates" that way, if you are not big enough to afford a good lawer then why are you even talking.? there are ways to handle situations without spewing hatred every chance you get to do so at everyone who will listen, im the first to tell my superiors when i feel they are wrong, but 210.00 and hour is WAY more than fair. if you are only doing one repair per day there is no logical person in the world that would pay for your lack of buisness, and i know we are always going to disagree on this line of discussion, but im honestly trying to get the other side of things because i dont know about it, just like the shop owners dont know about this side of things. im trying to be friendly and smoothe some of this tension between TPA and glass shop out here, simple fact of the mater is we have to coinside with each other, there are very few insureres that do inhouse glass. if anything you will have to speak to us to obtain the information to get to the insurance providers direct line. ill sit here and keep my stats good, you can stay on this forum griping about something the TPAs have nothing they can do about it, in all honesty if i was in charge of things i would love to pay you guys more, but im not, and there is nothing anybody in this building can do about it. i speak with the heads of this building on a daily basis, and there is absolutely 0 that can be done in our office. we get told by LMNOP insurance offer XX.XX for this work, and YY.YY for this work, explain to me how exactly am i supposed to go about changing that.? or the CEO of my company for that matter.?

The truth is you are expendable. There is nothing in the auto insurance policy that says we have to make the FNOL with a TPA. More and more shops are catching on. One day soon the insurance companies will pull the plug and you will be out of a job.

In my state it is written into the insurance code that policyholders have the right to freely choose any glass shop that they wish. In other words, every glass shop in our state is a "preferred provider" whether they have an agreement with an insurance company or not. The insurance code also says that insurance companies will pay glass shops directly based on market rates which can vary on a case by case basis. In other words, any glass shop can charge any rate that is reasonable and does not have to accept insurer dictated rates.

Ask your supervisor, whose job you want to take, to explain to you how the GAI (Guaranteed Average Invoice) scheme works. To the insurance companies, a glass claim is a glass claim. As long as they only pay out $xxx.xx per claim they will make a profit. TPA's push repairs so they can come in under the GAI. One TPA that was trying to hang on to an insurer begged us to accept less for repairs just so that they could keep the insurer. (By us I am talking about all the glass shops in the TPA's network.) We all got the same form letter. One insurer increased its repair fees only to switch TPA's and cut the rates that they pay for repairs just a few months later. So TPA's win contracts with insurers by agreeing to enforce depressed payout rates.

When a TPA operates on the GAI basis, they become our competitors because they have a vested interest in keeping payout rates depressed. Historically, rates have not kept up with inflation. When TPA's follow insurer dictated scripts, they become complicit in deceiving consumers into thinking that they can't use their chosen shop in violation of the law.

TPA's financially affiliated with manufacturers and especially service providers are by definition biased. One service provider should never be put in a position to "lord" over their competition, yet that is what we are up against.

Now you know why we feel the way we do.

If me is a troll they are doing a great job.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com