AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
help on. mirror

Help I got a Subaru with a 2064 style mirror button on glass and a regular looking mirror. Glass was completely trashed in wreck and windshield was ripped out is there an adaptor for this???

Dealer is clueless

Re: help on. mirror

I have seen those before. An afterthought change perhaps. Carefully heat the bracket with a cigarette lighter and gently twist with pliers or grips until releases then bond on the correct bracket. Do not use a torch, will heat too rapidly and affect the annealed glass and make brittle.

I always use a mini torch ( from Harbor Freight)on low power. Apply the flame directly to the center of the metal stud to avoid direct heat on the windshield.

The adapter will release at about 400 degrees and I have never damaged a windshield doing this.

The main danger is bubbling the plastic if the glass gets too hot. I always put a cardboard sheet over the dash to catch the adapter if it falls.

Practicing on some old windshields is not a bad idea...................

If the Subaru you are working on is the Impreza that takes the FW2863/4 this is not aftermarket. Normally you can re-use the adapter taking care not to overtighten the screws that hold the bullet bracket to the adapter piece, but Subaru does sell these for around $20. You can also get just the small soft metal adapter piece and screws if you don't need the whole assembly for around $10. I don't believe Subaru calls the part an adapter, I think it is just called the mirror bracket, and they should be able to pull it up to the vin.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com