AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lane Departure

Ok so with this lane departure, is there a way or program we can get in order to recalibrate these things, or do we need to send these cars back to the dealer every time ?
Now with sending them back to the dealer is there a standard fee for recalibration or are we at the mercy of dealership ?

Apparently these vehicles are going to be a PITA.

Re: Lane Departure

28 views and Nobody has a answer for this? Well I guess I'll have to find the answer's another way. AGRR writes up a article about ALUMINUM bodies, But no article on the lane departures and how to go about recalibrating them. A source of useless information.

Just went thru this too. Had to go to dealer 110.00 believe it or not Safelite payed for it , so I guess they know there is a issue

My understanding recalibration for each OEM is different. For some you can drive above 35 mph on the highway and the light will change from amber to green. But there is no set recalibration standard for each one. See Lane Changer, Game Changer feature. It's in the same magazine as aluminum feature you reference. That might offer some assistance.

I'll scream foul by the car manufacturers.

Why would you place a safety system within a safety system? Nonetheless on one that gets abused more than most others? There are dozens of other areas where these systems could be placed.

The reasons seem quite obvious anymore...

Your are absolutely correct that this will be a PITA issue. I suggest that you go to my blog (Technically Speaking) on this site and take a look at some of my posts on this subject. It is getting a lot of attention but no one knows where to go for help including the dealers themselves. The term we are using to label this issue is Advanced Driver Assist Systems (ADAS).

I will say that the AGSC is looking into the problem and are going everywhere for information and help. The Standards Committee of the Council is researching and collecting information so a recommendation can be made.

Stay tuned.

A) All MFRs are different.
B) It is 15% of the new models, but will do nothing but become more widespread (good technology)....precursor to self driving cars
C) Insurance will reimburse, but only as a pass thru cost. Your time, effort and "wrangling" to get the work done is not compensated. This will have to change to a standard reimbursement rate to give glass/body shops the ability to negotiate how they buy or provide the service and be paid for the service they provide.
D) It is a safety system, so releasing the car before recalibration is potentially a liability risk. Mobile service? A waiver does no good from a mitigation standpoint; any more than it would if you disabled the airbags.
E) There is no true easy way to recalibrate (buy a single machine)...there are a few out there, but they are expensive and only cover a percentage.
F) Could easily lead to lower deductibles being purchased
G) Allows for differentiation between quality providers and price only guys.

Technology will improve and you have to think that MFRs will build self calibration into the vehicles to ease production headaches. It is all up in the air, but if you don't have a partial strategy today on how you are going handle these...better get one.

Game Changer ,
You make a great statement, now the only problem is that even having the customer go to the dealer and we meet up with them there, and change the glass, have the customer sign off on paperwork, we are still paying the dealer for there service's and have to get a authorization before hand and then send in proof of dealer receipt work was completed. Now lets just say the dealer didn't do it correctly and car is not functioning properly, who do you think the customer is going to call first? and who the customer is going to blame, and who the dealer is going to blame that the glass isn't correct/or not installed rite, or what ever they can say to push it back to the glass shop, This is going to lead to a major legal battle soon, and I for one don't intend to let it get that far. I am starting to get calls for these cars now they are 2012 models. You would think 3 years later there would be some sort of answers already...

We warn customer that recalibration at dealer is required, and we require a signed statement that we do not accept any liability for lane departures function. Most customers understand, some get scared and go to dealer for replacement.

We have had a BMW and Lexus dealership warn us that car manufacture will not warranty lane departures on windshield replacements unless customer uses OEM glass and has recalibration done at dealership. Basically stating our shop will now be responsible for the safety and proper function of lane departure camera.

This is a major lawsuit waiting to happen. You can just picture a lawyer ready to pounce on glass shop for faulty installation of lane departure.

A signed waiver will not get you anywhere...any more than it would if you had a customer sign a waiver that authorized you to deactivate an airbag.

The assembly line productivity issue is exactly why a self calibrating solution may become available.

Dealer approach is control the entire process from glass mfr to install to minimize liability to the degree possible. The Honda service bulletin is an example but it is more cover ass (and generate service and parts revenue) than true safety. Glass clarity is not an issue. Installation position could be in some applications. Recalibration is a huge issue.

How will dealers respond when 50 windshields per week (that they aren't installing)are getting put in on their lot by 5 different companies?

It is good technology, just not advanced enough...kind of a like cell phones in 1985. These systems react faster than the driver can, don't text while they drive and improve safety if used properly. Like anything else, people become reliant on them.

Lane departure correction and adaptive cruise are just a start.... soon it will be automated highway driving...and eventually...who knows? Insurance company is a fan because it lowers high dollar claims by increasing the cost of some nuisance claims.

It isn't going away and really can be a differentiator for those that do it right. Better believe the BIG guys have a plan and are ahead of it. Get in now before you become a "me too"....or worse, the guy that says it doesn't matter.

Share information, stay ahead of the curve. Right now, it is the wild west...nobody knows enough, including dealers. You will get different answers from many. Regardless, we can't eat a "free" hour or two of administrative wrangling, shuttle service, or car towing manager without compensation. Demand payment for what you do today...or ***** about having to do it for free later.

Yes i agree, not 100% positive if our waiver really amounts to much.

Right now we don't get a ton of lane departure parts. Most are only available from the dealer. I find it shocking how uneducated parts and service department are on the systems the work on and sell parts for. I have asked many dealerships about recalibration,( door glass switches, rain sensors, lane departure cameras) and the response is always "we don't know until we run a diagnostic" $200 dollars please.

We just had a 2012 Nissan Altima driver door glass with a switch problem. Easy job but after we were finished the automatic up and down feature for the passenger door would not work. It would go up and down but would not go automatically up and down.

Customer goes to dealer, and is told switch is bad needs to be replaced $700! Just happened to go bad on a door we didn't even work on? When asking service department what could cause failure on a car that is only a couple years old, i kid you not i got a "i don't know".

Dealerships really don't know? their only solution is to change everything out.

With more sensors in parts and the chance of a connection problem somewhere in computer, what are we to do? I guess just what dealerships do. Charge a ridiculous amount of labor to cover these unforeseen problems.

We've done tons of these with only one that needed calibrating and that was an Audi. It's my understanding that only if they have bumper sensors along with the LDWS do they need re-calibration. That's been our experience thus far.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com