AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BUS LAMI - Long sheet of lami

Alrighty fellas , I believe few months back I started a topic with these international buses , where I was having trouble installing the lami into the gasket... well im back again , I have had some good luck with sanding off 3/16 or even some times cutting off 3/16 then seaming it < seems too go right in like cake and once you lace the inter molding back its nice and tight as if you never cut or sanded down....... But I was wondering if this is safe or sounds okay too continue to do ? my boss asked me and I said yeh too me it seems safe , I even tested it by running and pushing on the lami once its installed and seems its pretty sturdy.. but I could be wrong , I mean I haven't had any complaints etc. I know a lot of guys don't seam or cut it down at all but when I do this , my hands usually cramp up and when I take a quick break , usually from being so tight where ever I stop sticking it at , it 9 out of 10 times stress cracks right where I stop at ... anyone else running into this issue? or know a better way around it or is it okay to continue to sand and cut down?

PLEASE TAKE THIS TOPIC SERIOUS, NO JOKING AROUND , I AM TRYING TO GET GOOD AND IMPORTANT FEEDBACK THANKS !!!!!

Re: BUS LAMI - Long sheet of lami

You might want to give Translite Enterprises a call. They deal exclusively with bus parts and info. May be they can lead you in the right direction. 908-355-3250. Ask for Michael.

Give me a call 7405620141 I have a few questions about bus

If possible I would make a cardboard pattern of the opening then (if flat) lay glass on pattern and check this against the gasket offset. Should show you if you are "shorting" a corner or otherwise undercutting the dimensions to get an easier fit. Same drill if you were cutting it yourself.

Please disregard if you are speaking of curved glass.

Why not lay the new ws on top of the factory ws and compare?

tell your boss that it is a 2 man install. we always send 2 techs. no problems and we've installed about 20 of these. use lots of lube and make sure the gasket is warm

Are you activating and running a bead of urethane to seal them in before you lock the spline back in? The top gasket always wants to fall down after you take the window out so its a good time to run a small bead to hold it in place for future installs also. Getting the window out is a c**** in its self so we take a little off the height when we cut new ones from fl64890 sheets of lami.

where do you get fl64890 sheets of lami? is it shaded like the original windshields? by the way. precut ones are less than a sheet of lami, so why cut when it's available already?

Sorry fellas been extremely busy lately , I usually do all bus jobs with two techs, I have compared new glass to current and seen that factory is a tad bit shorter in height that's why I would cut and sand.... BUTTTT until I had a talk with SCARFACEGLASS who is from Ohio long way from where I am , talked me through the job and gave me a way easier way too do the job , I can not thank him enough !!!! no need to sand or cut down , no need to even continuing too stick the glass in , you simply place the rubber on the glass instead of the top frame and you go on the inside with a glass vacuum cup and as you pull you use your hook tool and hook the gasket back to the frame & BAMMMMMMMMM no more issues and literally knocks off at least 20 mins too the job !!!!! thank youuuu again

tim c.
where do you get fl64890 sheets of lami? is it shaded like the original windshields? by the way. precut ones are less than a sheet of lami, so why cut when it's available already?

I wish we could get pre-cut windows for them for sure. Our suppliers we have don't seem to care enough to stock anything. We are in a rural area and only have limited vendors in our areas...We did actually just get two in stock for these but in the years past we didn't have 4-6 weeks to wait for them to get in stock.

so... you remove the corner glasses also or at least tip them forward at the top?

RABBIT
tim c.

I wish we could get pre-cut windows for them for sure. Our suppliers we have don't seem to care enough to stock anything. We are in a rural area and only have limited vendors in our areas...We did actually just get two in stock for these but in the years past we didn't have 4-6 weeks to wait for them to get in stock.

Have you tried to order them from the bus manufacture? By the case?

I wondered the same thing because those tear drop shape side pieces would have to push forward to lip the glass around top corners. Maybe he is hooking all of it in at once across whole top?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com