AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chop top

Have a customer that bought a vehicle with a chop top. I did the windshield on it but now he tells me he needs door glasses made. His vehicle uses curved tempered glass. I tried a place in Arkansas but they no longer make custom glass for cars. I went to the local warehouse to see if I could get a lami door glass from another vehicle to cut to fit with no luck. They I tried to find a large windshield that I could possible get one glass out of but I couldn't find any without vert and horiz curves. Any ideas?

Re: Chop top

Did you try piling ton classics? They may have an idea or two. Otherwise, sell him lexan and tell him that his only option. Chops are no fun.

What kind of car is it?

I think chopped cars are fun to work on.Not the same ole,same ole day in day out kind of work.Keeps your brain in check.Money is much better also.

If you have the original door glass, based on your post, it sounds as if it is NOT a compound curved part, simple basic cylindrical bend door glass....most doors are 16-24" radius top to bottom......cut a cardboard gage with the correct radius and make sure the door is flat, front of car to back of car (if it is not flat it is compound curved), measure the length of the flat dimension, take the cylindrical gage and a straight edge to your local distributor and beg him to let you roam through the windshield racks, find a windshield that fits the cylindrical gage top to bottom and hope the width is flat enough of the windshield to fit in the door channel run. I would look at large minivan screens.....hope that helps....you can also call the Fassler's in Batavia Ohio, Auto Temp Inc......but rest assured to make two parts will be very expensive!

DL
If you have the original door glass, based on your post, it sounds as if it is NOT a compound curved part, simple basic cylindrical bend door glass....most doors are 16-24" radius top to bottom......cut a cardboard gage with the correct radius and make sure the door is flat, front of car to back of car (if it is not flat it is compound curved), measure the length of the flat dimension, take the cylindrical gage and a straight edge to your local distributor and beg him to let you roam through the windshield racks, find a windshield that fits the cylindrical gage top to bottom and hope the width is flat enough of the windshield to fit in the door channel run. I would look at large minivan screens.....hope that helps....you can also call the Fassler's in Batavia Ohio, Auto Temp Inc......but rest assured to make two parts will be very expensive!

This is exactly what I did at local warehouse nothing was even remotely close. I am just going to use lexan and shape it to fit the curve. The guy has maybe $1000 total in this vehicle he is not likely to buy crazy expensive glass. I did the windshield for free because he is family .
It's a 91 geo tracker 3" chop, suicide doors, channeled and air ride.

I don't know the answer to this question but maybe someone does? We used to to cut lami windshields down by using layers of duct tape along the cut line and sand blasting through the glass. It was slow but better than ruling 3,4 shields using a cutter. Is it possible to do that with tempered or would the glass eventually shatter?

Smiley
I don't know the answer to this question but maybe someone does? We used to to cut lami windshields down by using layers of duct tape along the cut line and sand blasting through the glass. It was slow but better than ruling 3,4 shields using a cutter. Is it possible to do that with tempered or would the glass eventually shatter?

Tempered will shatter. I use cutter method on shields I rarely break one.

"....you can also call the Fassler's in Batavia Ohio, Auto Temp Inc......but rest assured to make two parts will be very expensive!"

Heard they are no longer doing short runs. They were a great source for us.
We have several extra DD11373/74 in clear laminated, I could probably be talked out of a few for little money if they will work for you. This is like windshield glass and should cut easier than lami doors. We used to try and cut lami GM van and suburban deep tint , never could get any thing out of it. Cuts would always run. Also you might try DD11934/35. Never tried to cut these though.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com