AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
creaking noise

I r&i back glass on 13 Hyundai genesis coupe for body shop 2 weeks ago.They called today and customer said creaking noise in back body man drove and said it was back glass. I used new molding and it fit perfect but the molding was very hard not very pliable. Has anyone got a fix for this?

Re: creaking noise

It could be the plastic interior rubbing on itself or the glass.
It could be that if some of the interior was removed and the sponge rings that go on the interior pushin plus could be moving.

Pull the left and right rear panels off and see if the issue remains.
If it does it may be the mouldings if the urethane has not completly cured.
It is a result of cold weather.

JMHO

glassman59
I r&i back glass on 13 Hyundai genesis coupe for body shop 2 weeks ago.They called today and customer said creaking noise in back body man drove and said it was back glass. I used new molding and it fit perfect but the molding was very hard not very pliable. Has anyone got a fix for this?

Did they put a roof on the car or??

I'm going to try and fix tommorow I'll pull interior quarter molding after I here it creak. Thanks for response.

Left quarter panel says creaking on right side.

What kind of adhesive? Cheap glue stops curing in the cold and glass and plastic molding will shift and squeak until full cure. Could take several weeks.

Swab some liquid soap under the molding until water eventually washes some dust & pollen into the space. The clean dry molding is rubbing on the clean paint and squeaking. The dust and pollen will eventually act like a dry lube and in the mean time, the soap is harmless.

Been there, done that...

Shaun

Ns
What kind of adhesive? Cheap glue stops curing in the cold and glass and plastic molding will shift and squeak until full cure. Could take several weeks.

Agree. But even expensive urethane will take longer to fully cure in the cold. It just quicker to get to a quicker sdat. We did a dw1341 once in low temps. Customer complained of a squeaking noise from the windshield. Told him to come into shop to diagnose. He came in 3 days later to check. He said that noise went away day before his appointment but still wanted us to make sure everything was good.

Its probably the sound of that foreign oddity, hellhole, slavecamp!

Krytox grease

None of you know about decking height? Back in the day I used Sika and found it squished down very easy and had many squeaks and noises from being squished to tight to body. WHAT? none of you brainiacs can figure that out????? IT IS CALLED DECKING HEIGHT. wow you genius's can't figure that out???? WOW...... You guys need to back away from the primers before you lose more brain cells! Way too funny. and YOU GUYS THINK YOU ARE PROFESSIONALS?????? maybe not.....................

SO Glassman59 What urethane did you use? Please tell us the truth......

what?
SO Glassman59 What urethane did you use? Please tell us the truth......

Let's ask you, what?, what urethane should he use?
Ooops....

what?
None of you know about decking height? Back in the day I used Sika and found it squished down very easy and had many squeaks and noises from being squished to tight to body. WHAT? none of you brainiacs can figure that out????? IT IS CALLED DECKING HEIGHT. wow you genius's can't figure that out???? WOW...... You guys need to back away from the primers before you lose more brain cells! Way too funny. and YOU GUYS THINK YOU ARE PROFESSIONALS?????? maybe not.....................

Sika? squished down? Perhaps maybe Sika fc220. That's there budget line you know. Sika ASAP and back then ultrafast or ultrafast 2 wouldn't have done that. The higher end SIKA product has excellent decking height.

Sika Titan P2G +

Opps what all techs should use is what they are most comfortable with and trust the most. I have seen issues with EVERY type and brand of thane. At one time I thought sika was hands down the best, but after issues of decking height, and creaky, cracky, sounds as the vehicle warmed up, I switched to dow hv thanes.

I found with sika little or no setting pressure was needed to "set" the glass gravity did the most part. With High viscosity thanes you can actually press or set the glass.

This is not about cheap end or high end thanes this about VISCOSITY. Take the glass back out reset on a good HV thane and I bet the creaking will be gone.

Back several years ago I had a Jimmy 1168 w/s that I set with sika ultra fast and it popped, creaked, squeaked, made all kinds of noises. When I got tired of hearing that I swaped it out with Essex HV and no more noises. Thats when I switched back to Essex. Believe me I have used both sika and Dow for years. And now with the primer changes I trust dow over all others. But this is just MY choice. You have to stick with what you trust.

But I will stick to my opinion the problem here is decking height. Get past the emotions and go with facts.

I've been using the p2g+ for 3.5 years and no problems,until this one it turns out it was the rigid molding near the top corner I sprayed wd40 and it stopped the noise I then used some grease, problem solved. I do appreciate the feedback as its only happened a couple times thru the years and that was on ppg 1341's but they would stop after the urathane set.

I disagree that High Viscosity properties can be found lower price urethane lines. All the urethanes that I see that have HV properties are in the middle and upper price product lines from any manufacturer.

That could be your issue i ditched P2G + went with DOW. Plus my Sika rep is worthless.. and that pains me to says that because i really like Sika.

Larry what happened with the p2g+ and have you used the glas bot lite I,m may purchase soon and was needing some feedback on actual use.

glassman59
Larry what happened with the p2g+ and have you used the glas bot lite I,m may purchase soon and was needing some feedback on actual use.

I needed a 1 hour product, I am just bitter at my sales person. It's an acceptable product, just expensive for the primer...

Glass bot lite I have it & use it, I like it works great I am not sure if they have changed it at all since I got it, I had the 1st production of it. I find it very useful. My only complaint about it, was that when I got mine it did not ship with a 90 degree attachment for my drill... that ****ed me off which I called immediately when I notice I did not get one. I think now Rick is including one?? I use the Apex tool also. If your on a budget it is what I would get.

There are some other uses for it like taking off urethane on side trim on cars and other stuff.. not sure how often you would need to do something like that but it is versatile

Thanks Larry for the info.

Glad you resolved the issue. It's always a thorny issue to diagnose and resolve a noise issue. I appreciate the helpful suggestions on this forum, but I'm annoyed by the geniuses who know the source of the problem and give a definitive solution without seeing or driving the vehicle. After almost 40 years I still get stumped occasionally. To insist that the problem was, "cheap glue and decking" without seeing the vehicle is just ignorant.

glassman59
I've been using the p2g+ for 3.5 years and no problems,until this one it turns out it was the rigid molding near the top corner I sprayed wd40 and it stopped the noise I then used some grease, problem solved. I do appreciate the feedback as its only happened a couple times thru the years and that was on ppg 1341's but they would stop after the urathane set.

This is the stupidest thing I have read since smiley's stupid comment. REALLY no one can see this? Ah Glassman59, how long will that grease last? REALLY. Is this some special, last forever grease?

You treated a symptom to a problem. you did not fix the problem. How about a cert fitting on that molding so the customer can grease it every 3000 miles or so when they change the oil. That is almost hilarious! But Really that is your FIX?

GREASE THE MOULDING YEA THAT SHOULD DO IT! BAHABAHAHAHAHAHA You just can't make this crap up!

I will update if & when I get a call back.The reason i used this is i had a new Chrysler around 1998 That had similar noise but worse.I continued working for the dealer 5 yrs. and never got call back.Thats the only other car I recall dealing with creaking noise. Installing since 1976.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com