AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear Hatch latch stuck from broken glass

We had a customer come in with a broken back window on a SUV. We replaced the glass and took all the paneling off to vacuum the glass out. As we all know, we can't get it all out. A few hours after the customer left the hatch got stuck and we could not open it. They brought the vehicle back to us and we tried to open the hatch just to make the customer happy. We could not get it open. Glass got stuck in the hatch latch and it needed replaced. Are we as an auto glass company responsible for this? Customer took it and got it fixed without our approval....was charged $400.00 and wants reimbursed

Re: Rear Hatch latch stuck from broken glass

I would say no, its very understandable that this could happen and they should not be trying to place blame on you guys. Now the question could be as to how much glass did you leave?? If its just a piece then that is always possible but if your cutting corners and left more than that, then they might have some leg to stand on. We clean them out where there is no more glass even detectable. It takes a bit of manipulation sometimes tho and we have had the same situation where that one rogue piece makes a latch get stuck. They went out and had it done by someone else so that kind of cuts you out of getting the chance to fix it, so they need to suck it up and realize you didn't break the glass in the beginning and that glass can work its way into areas it was never intended to go. I would say sorry but your not responsible for the actions of broken glass that went where it shouldn't have gone. Sometimes you have to stand your ground if you are sure you did your very best and didn't leave room for liability in the beginning.

I would say no, its very understandable that this could happen and they should not be trying to place blame on you guys. Now the question could be as to how much glass did you leave?? If its just a piece then that is always possible but if your cutting corners and left more than that, then they might have some leg to stand on. We clean them out where there is no more glass even detectable. It takes a bit of manipulation sometimes tho and we have had the same situation where that one rogue piece makes a latch get stuck. They went out and had it done by someone else so that kind of cuts you out of getting the chance to fix it, so they need to suck it up and realize you didn't break the glass in the beginning and that glass can work its way into areas it was never intended to go. I would say sorry but your not responsible for the actions of broken glass that went where it shouldn't have gone. Sometimes you have to stand your ground if you are sure you did your very best and didn't leave room for liability in the beginning.

I agree with Rabbit.

Maryland Woman Sues Safelite Alleging It Refused to Fix Damage Its Technician Caused to Her Vehicle

October 15, 2014 by Jenna Reed
jreed@glass.com

Johnson, Safelite and Archer Western Contractors Agree to Settlement Conference

January 9, 2015 by Jenna Reed
jreed@glass.com

Refer to these two articles, bottom line is you will more than likely be responsible. In addition a customer of mine replaced a back glass in a Toyota Sienna, the State Farm agent was informed that the rear hatch did not open and was noted on the paperwork that the customer signed. But, did not stop Lynx from charging the customer back to repair or replace the latch.

I think the safelite case is different because of their "five point pledge" which states we will vacuum up all the glass inside and outside of the vehicle. Also, the company who told the customer to go to safelite broke her window, so therefore they would be liable if other damages occur. We don't state anywhere on our website they we vacuum up glass or we get all of it. The way I look at it is, we didn't break the glass, therefore the person who broke it should be responsible, not us.

In the insurance game anymore, we know they will back charge you for any reason they can find. If you're not a preferred vendor they read the scripting that states "after the work is complete, and with the policyholders approval we will issue payment on their behalf." If the insured isn't completely satisfied with the work, they will not pay the shop. Again different circumstances, this was a out of pocket job, no insurance involved

Good luck in small claims court.
I was involved 3 times:
1) Used windshield was broken upon installation with no responsibility waiver signed when using used glass:
VERDICT: GUILTY, not only was the shop responsible to reimburse the customer for the used glass, they had to pay for new glass. Reasoning: You are the glass expert, you should not take on a job that you can not complete properly.
2) A new windshield was installed and shortly afterwards a rock broke the windshield. Customer complained the glass was "too soft" and should not have broken that easily:
VERDICT: GUILTY, not only was the shop to reimburse the customer for the cost of the job, he was required to pay FULL NAGS LIST PLUS LABOR. The guy got 3 times what he paid for the glass.
3) My friends son was found guilty of breaking a back glass (full 1/4 inch thick one at that) by tossing a 5 page news flyer onto some ones front lawn.
VERDICT: Guilty, Since it was not the kid they were suing, they sued the publishing company, he won over $1,000.00. You would have better odds a t jumping out or a plane at 30,000 feet with no parachute than that paper breaking that back glass.
I wish you luck.
Ooops...

If this is a LYNX claim, you can bet your going to be paying for it. I had a lady once that cut her foot driving her car PRIOR TO ME TOUCHING THE CAR, and LYNX wanted me to pay here medical bills...

Lunks Services
If this is a LYNX claim, you can bet your going to be paying for it. I had a lady once that cut her foot driving her car PRIOR TO ME TOUCHING THE CAR, and LYNX wanted me to pay here medical bills...

Did you pay here bills here or there???

Pat
Lunks Services

Did you pay here bills here or there???

Here, hear, her, there, their, they're, are all valid words but not picked up by spell check, you were able to go back in and edit your post, before this past weekend. But on the last few post from Friday on, you were not able to go back in and tweak a typo mistake. Just sayin'.
Ooops...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com