AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
new glass shop

I am starting my own glass shop after 25 years experience! Any suggestion? Positive only please. How do you get signed up to be in networks, what glass programs etc

Re: new glass shop

Do not Sign up with any networks. Bill direct

Bill,from Illinois
I am starting my own glass shop after 25 years experience! Any suggestion? Positive only please. How do you get signed up to be in networks, what glass programs etc

If you plan on joining networks you may want to register as a non-profit enterprise first. Experience installing does not make you a businessman. Obviously.

Bill,from Illinois

Use your experience and reputation to build your business. Go door knock car dealerships etc...that you were doing work for and sit down and tell them your new story...Tell them the benefits of dealing with you. BE PROFESSIONAL, wear a uniform, clean lettered vehicle PROFESSIONAL business card etc...

Before you invest the first dime, read the e-myth book by michael gerber. Have an exit strategy before you begin.

Bill,from Illinois

Bill are you starting a Full service Glass SHOP? Let's define glass shop. to me glass shop is full service, flat, mirrors, plexi, auto, residential, commercial etc. An auto glass shop would be a SHOP that does auto glass repair and replacement. A mobile van or truck working from home is not a SHOP, but a mobile service auto glass business.

To give proper suggestions would vary with the type of business you are trying to start.

If you are doing just auto glass and think the networks will help you you will be very disappointed and most likely fail, because they are not going to be in your corner. If you are starting a full service glass shop you will have a much better chance of success due to the variety of work.

If you spend your time chasing work you little to no control over like networks, low to non-profit work, you will fail. Chase profitable work, join in your community with a variety of organizations, meet every one you can, do the very best work ALWAYS, never try to be cheap or cheaper, be the best and you will have a chance at success. Or have extremely deep pockets and buy your way in by spending tons in advertising. Then bill direct, bill what you are worth, and forget about what others do. Be you, and be your best every time. If you have experience as you say, you already have good base to start from. HTH's

iwillhelpyou @ primary.net

What area of Illinois? I can try to help you as much as as I can.

I have seen several companies fail or struggle over the last 10 years and many from the same mistakes. I am also an Illinois shop and as someone mentioned earlier my shop is what would be considered a full service auto glass shop. By that means we do everything relating to glass in something mobile. We have an actual shop and provide mobile service. We do not do residential and commercial glazing or shower doors. It is possible but not easy to get started and instantly become successful.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com