AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help Needed in California to Get a Damaged VIN Plate Replaced

Bonehead move today. When using my Express, I severely damaged the windshield VIN plate and it obviously (and legally) has to be replaced.
Contacted the dealer and was told that a new VIN plate must come from my state's (California) DMV. Have spent time on hold and online trying to get forms so my customer can request new VIN plate and I can install it. Nothing is clear and I have found nothing so far as a form It's going to be a big hassle and I am trying to minimize my innocent customer's involvement. Hey I own it, a big first for me and I do not recommend others follow my example. In the lengthy time, of power glass removal tools ownership, it is an unwelcomed first for me. I called three of my body shop accounts and none ever had had to replace a dashboard VIN plate so no one knows the process

In short, has any California shop had to deal with this? If so, any suggestions and specific depts. within the DMV that I need to contact to get the ball rolling.

Re: Help Needed in California to Get a Damaged VIN Plate Replaced

Have no clue how to help you, but would be interested in details on how this happened and what kind of vehicle it was on. I have feared this happening to one of us. Good luck. Hope you have an understanding customer because they are a blessing sometimes.

Start with the California Highway Patrol. They can get you started.

13 Subaru Impreza. My battery was getting low and my theory is that as I cut from left to right, my blade slowed and sort of bounced, perhaps catching the rivet first . I was using the long wide blade. Dumb dumb dumb
Funny, I did a Mazda 3 last month and some insurer sent out a fax with the dispatch warning of possible damage to the paper VIN during removal. Dismissed it with the attitude "never me!!"

Plan to contact CHP to see if they can direct me to the proper DMV Dept. 15 years ago, I had to pull a grey market Ferrari windshield at a dealership so that a new VIN plate could be installed. Remembered that a law enforcement officer needed to be present

Contact dealer. Many times they can have the manufacture reprint/ make a vin plate. The plate is then sent to the dealer who will install it.

Thanks TTech but its a no go. My very first call went to Subaru and the Parts Dept said DMV.
I missed a call from CHP but received an email from the officer. It sounds like he can point me in the correct direction

I know this is a late post, but this same thing just happened to me in CA. Just wondering what the final resolve, if any, was. Thanks for any info!

Start with CHP. I don't have all the answers but know from previous stories that they need to be involved and will advise on the process.

Have you had issues with customers claiming diminished value? I'm in another state and when our state highway patrol issues a replacement VIN (which has a different number of digits) customers are understandably upset.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com