AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fein Knife

So I was talking to a SL employee the other day, and he said that fein knives are ok to use at slave camp again? now let me get this CORRECT. Wasn't the whole wire winder thing supposed to eliminate SCRATCHES? and keep from damaging vehicles?
He said that they will not issue a fein knife, But if you have one or purchase one yourself camp belron will provide the blades.

I find this quite funny seeing that they are trying to reinvent the wheel with wire, and then ALLOW a old style tool to be used when needed. seems like they are coming around full circle again and wanted to start from the beginning.

Give it a couple more years they will be back to cold knives and long knives again, And the wonder wheel will be illegal to use LMAO!!!!

Re: Fein Knife

Fein Knife yes I still use a couple, it is all about know what tool to use under the right circumstances. I will not be without one. I still use an equilizer for the right job, a cold knife, a long knife, all tools have the right and proper place, it is up to the experienced tech to know when , and why, and HOW to use ALL TOOLS. enough said.

D A M N YANKEE
So I was talking to a SL employee the other day, and he said that fein knives are ok to use at slave camp again? now let me get this CORRECT. Wasn't the whole wire winder thing supposed to eliminate SCRATCHES? and keep from damaging vehicles?
He said that they will not issue a fein knife, But if you have one or purchase one yourself camp belron will provide the blades.

I find this quite funny seeing that they are trying to reinvent the wheel with wire, and then ALLOW a old style tool to be used when needed. seems like they are coming around full circle again and wanted to start from the beginning.

Give it a couple more years they will be back to cold knives and long knives again, And the wonder wheel will be illegal to use LMAO!!!!

Nothing against wire, but I would like to see someone do a 1451 with wire...

wow
Fein Knife yes I still use a couple, it is all about know what tool to use under the right circumstances. I will not be without one. I still use an equilizer for the right job, a cold knife, a long knife, all tools have the right and proper place, it is up to the experienced tech to know when , and why, and HOW to use ALL TOOLS. enough said.

WOW must be a DRONE... so lets see a fein knife gets hot, vibrates like a S.O.B, motors burn out and brushes where out, did you even know that a fein knife was supposed to be for FLAT GLASS.. Hence the really stiff blade and it's convex shape and sharp on both sides..

Yes you can use them for autoglass , but that was not there intention when first introduced to the glass market..

so ENOUGH SAID, D A M N YANKEE OUT!!!

Larry
D A M N YANKEE

Nothing against wire, but I would like to see someone do a 1451 with wire...

I have.... It wasnt very pretty

I still use a Fein Knife from time to time, Dodge sliders etc. I remember back in my Guardian days, I was a rookie, I was cutting a 925 out, I wanted to feel if the blade was through the seal so I felt around with my fingers (With the tool on) and I found out the hard way it was.... Not one of my proudest moments....LOL, Guessing I have burnt up a dozen or so Fein Knifes. Use to have to beat them on the pavement to get them to work!!!

"burn out and brushes where out," Where OUT were they??

Pat
"burn out and brushes where out," Where OUT were they??

PAT, very good I have seen that after I had posted, Thank you for the Where, ware and wear lesson, LOL...Always a grammar cop on duty...

Fat Basterd
If there working for safelite and using a fein knife they will loose there job. And whats a 1451 veh make and model. Nags num change. Love my wire by the way. 18 yrs doing this. Don't pull a cold knife in the cold, Wire doesn't care what the temperature is.

FATTY, you obvious don't do glass anymore, probably a manger or quality control stupid visor at the slave camp, LMAO, So I'll tell you what a 1451 is a Navistar one piece glass. Plus I would rather pull a cold knife instead of using wire on every vehicle and freezing longer than I would have to. Plus it is nice and warm down here in the south. Oh P.S. FATTY don't cut off that lower pinchweld at a rental company, LOL you will loose your job and make slow camp buy another car..

That is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT!!!!

Fat Basterd
Love my wire by the way. 18 yrs doing this. Don't pull a cold knife in the cold, Wire doesn't care what the temperature is.

Been doing this a tad longer. From my experience the wire snaps quicker in the cold. Just like any other metal. It becomes very brittle the colder it gets. Basic physics if you ask me. But you also can read it for yourself http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99249.htm. Now fiber wire is somewhat different performance properties. But its also impacted by the urethane it has to cut in colder weather.

They allow you to use the Fein knife at the store, and only on backglasses. If you are too far from the store to have the customer drilve in they will have someone bring it out. Metal wire is moving to be "managers approval" only was well. Pushing fiberline on everything. Cold knife, long knife, and extractor can't be used even if the windshield is laying on the dash or the most brittle original glass.

xs
Fat Basterd
Love my wire by the way. 18 yrs doing this. Don't pull a cold knife in the cold, Wire doesn't care what the temperature is.

Been doing this a tad longer. From my experience the wire snaps quicker in the cold. Just like any other metal. It becomes very brittle the colder it gets. Basic physics if you ask me. But you also can read it for yourself http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99249.htm. Now fiber wire is somewhat different performance properties. But its also impacted by the urethane it has to cut in colder weather.

The worst part about metal wire and the cold is it breaks on plastic setting pins on the top. The fiberline is a little more hardy at first but after 5-6 windshields it breaks pretty often and it cuts through pinchwelds just as easily as metal wire. The problem is with fiberline it's already harder to crank since it tears the old urethane bead vs cutting it. So with these coke can thin pinchwelds if you hang on it with the wire you can feel it and fix it with little more than a knick. With the fiberline you can cut 3-4 inches before you know it.

I'm pretty sure it is the urethane hardness that is changing the most in the cold vs the wire getting stiff. You have to cool metal pretty far to change the brittleness of it. Urethane on the other hand is organic and does change due to temperature changes.

Getting the best angle for the wire or fiber string to exit the adhesive is the key to success with any winding machine or tool.

Rick Nelson
I'm pretty sure it is the urethane hardness that is changing the most in the cold vs the wire getting stiff. You have to cool metal pretty far to change the brittleness of it. Urethane on the other hand is organic and does change due to temperature changes.

Getting the best angle for the wire or fiber string to exit the adhesive is the key to success with any winding machine or tool.

To be honest the urethane getting cold is really neither here nor there as long as you aren't cutting out a monster bead. As long as the w/s and cups on the machine are reasonably clean it will stick tight and cut through the adhesive. The plastic setting pins are what the wire snaps on more often than not. The only other part that can be aggravating is pushing the T handle through, but I just warm the urethane with a heating gun for a bit and that usually solves that.

Glassman, use a sharp putty knife to locate and punch through the pins prior to cutting.

The wire starter is a good probe to utilize. It will give you feedback of what to expect in respect to the urethane bead size as you said, and the hardness. This would also assist in determining your cutting direction.

If I find the corner bead to be difficult to push the wire starter through, I set up to cut up the A-pillars then roof. Only after the sides and top are done would I tackle the bottom with wire. The tough sections (corners) are done at this point. Also, set up the winding tool as low on the glass as you can for better purchase angle. Devices for redirecting the cutting angle work better at shallow angles as well.

Good discussion.

Rick Nelson
Glassman, use a sharp putty knife to locate and punch through the pins prior to cutting.

The wire starter is a good probe to utilize. It will give you feedback of what to expect in respect to the urethane bead size as you said, and the hardness. This would also assist in determining your cutting direction.

If I find the corner bead to be difficult to push the wire starter through, I set up to cut up the A-pillars then roof. Only after the sides and top are done would I tackle the bottom with wire. The tough sections (corners) are done at this point. Also, set up the winding tool as low on the glass as you can for better purchase angle. Devices for redirecting the cutting angle work better at shallow angles as well.

Good discussion.

Great advice! I appreciate that. Makes total sense.

I use a BTB blade on the handle and give it a good smack.

Larry
I use a BTB blade on the handle and give it a good smack.

Same thing they should do to you for that suggestion

I've been working with Bob @ AN Design and we have come up with a blade specific to this situation. I'll check in with him about it.

I feel like i am a gremlin and some one got me wet, too many larry's

It is obvious that there is no moderation here , which is a complete 180 from the BS crap that was going on before. Webbie should use so better sense.

Will the real Larry please stand up!

larry101
Will the real Larry please stand up!

Agree !

The fine tool was never gone from SL .
Just gone from every day use.
That was due partially to the fact they cause nerve damage to the tech &
Or Carpel tunnel.
You could/can always use one if it is the right tool for the job at SL.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com