AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
advice

starting off as a one man operation. Any advice on what to do and what not to do?. Any advice would be really appreciated. (serious comments only please)

Re: advice

Read and re-read "The E-Myth" book, consider, ponder, take an entrepreneur class or two, look for a one night class at your local SCORE workshop, then ponder more, sight alignment, sight picture, load the magazines and do not look back.

RUN FORREST, RUN

Jenny
RUN FORREST, RUN

Run is the easiest thing to do. One thing for sure is i do not plan on signing on to any networks i will bill what i believe is fair. But thanks for the advice

I would recommend spending as little on advertising as possible. Stick to door knocking and word of mouth as much as you can. Advertising will not get you much and will drain your bank account. In my opinion, most advertising is not edefective in our industry. What state are you in? Look into BNI memberships.

Ben
I would recommend spending as little on advertising as possible. Stick to door knocking and word of mouth as much as you can. Advertising will not get you much and will drain your bank account. In my opinion, most advertising is not edefective in our industry. What state are you in? Look into BNI memberships.
Thanks for the advice Ben and i am in florida

Try to find the gentleman from Autoglass Appraisal Services. They are in Florida and are nice guys. I think they are both former glass guys.

Ben
Try to find the gentleman from Autoglass Appraisal Services. They are in Florida and are nice guys. I think they are both former glass guys.
Thanks ben, what is it exactly that they do?

autoglasses
Ben
Thanks ben, what is it exactly that they do?

http://www.autoglassappraisal.com/

Diversify! Offer other services.
Like:
Windshield Repair
Headlight Restoration
Car Seat Installation-Proper-Hold Classes
Convertible Top and Leather seat restoration
Thing like these services you can schedule during a down time.

The other suggestions on how to run a business are great!

JMHO

Have a clean rust free van, preferably late model. Clean uniform(shirt and pants and boots) Get a proper toolbox and keep it clean and visible(not a fishing tackle box) professional appearance is very important and can really make you stand out in this industry. Don't smoke in front of customers or lean on their cars or place tools on them. Pick a business name that will allow you to brand your business and be available to use in all of your advertising including the web. Incorporate to protect yourself. Skip the yellow pages.

# 1 Just remember, no matter what ...stand behind your work and always always always do whatever you tell your customer your going to do...DO IT.

# 2 inspect that vehicle before you start...inside and out, document photos, video..whatever you need to do to protect yourself.

And remember that rear view mirror can screw up your whole day, make sure it matches what you have.

Business cards still work, but a good website is important as well now days. If you're going to be a one man band I would suggest the little buddy, not that I wou use it but now that the satilite company has painted this picture, it's best to have one handy for that customer with special needs.

# 3 CASH IS KING and you can discriminate in this business.

I really appreciate you guys. if you had to start a one man operation how much capital minimum would you suggest to work with starting off giving the fact that I already have a Van and all of the tools? Just curious

$$$$ lock up 15,000 don't touch it. Open your business account with 5,000 and then go to Costco or SAMs and buy some beans n rice. Make sure you have enough money to pay your bills with no income for 3 months. $26,040.

John
$$$$ lock up 15,000 don't touch it. Open your business account with 5,000 and then go to Costco or SAMs and buy some beans n rice. Make sure you have enough money to pay your bills with no income for 3 months. $26,040.
awesome thanks for the info john good thing my bills are not very high at all to maintain for 3 months. I am a simple guy just the necessary stuff. I really appreciate it your info any info I can get means a lot.

Figure out really fast if you are a good business person and capable of making good biz decisions. Have a plan in place- employees? if not now, how about when you get a little older? They are expensive and most can't be trusted- they won't do everything as good as you because it's not their baby. How many years do you plan on being in business? Do you want to sell it when you are done? A broken down van and worn out tools aren't worth a months wages... What if you are injured? what is the plan then? Try to think of every situation you can. What sets you appart from the competition? Even the good ones--- ponder on that for a while because there are many good ones as well as many bad ones! Best wishes!

atech
Figure out really fast if you are a good business person and capable of making good biz decisions. Have a plan in place- employees? if not now, how about when you get a little older? They are expensive and most can't be trusted- they won't do everything as good as you because it's not their baby. How many years do you plan on being in business? Do you want to sell it when you are done? A broken down van and worn out tools aren't worth a months wages... What if you are injured? what is the plan then? Try to think of every situation you can. What sets you appart from the competition? Even the good ones--- ponder on that for a while because there are many good ones as well as many bad ones! Best wishes!

Thanks atech I appreciate your input its hard to have a mentor in this business with the fact that I will be there competition.

In My 7th year now on something I use to say I would NEVER do. (Why I say Never say Never now) I am very happy with my Business, I Love to see the numbers grow with each passing year. #1 best advise is... pay your taxes, Do not get behind on them, #2 Pay your bills, I have never even been late on my Glass bills. You will be rewarded with better discounts faster. Look like a BIG shop, Not a one van wonder, I get asked all the time if I am a franchise or "Where is your headquarters at". I am mixed on Advertising, I have yet to do a print ad but I still fork out big bucks on Yellow Book ads, I know I know... But it still works in my market, Currently re vamping my web site. My thinking is, They cant use you if they don't know you exist so perhaps find a billboard in town with good rates perhaps month to month instead of a year lease. Do the local Parades, Park your van near busy intersections, I have strobes front and rear of my van and let them pop during installs, This turns heads and gets me noticed. When I first started I drove around in large parking lots and every broken shield got a card, trust me...this WORKS, I loaded up the county with cards cards and more cards, Cards are cheap and again, have a super cool card that stands out above all the others. Use quality materials, I could save tons of money using cheap urethane and Glass but I Don't and I tell my customers all about it, Some actually do care. I personally do not sell much any more as in car lots etc, I just wont play their game. My claim to fame is word of mouth, my quality workmanship and attention to detail speaks volumes, and Yes, I actually will have a bad install like everyone else, and when I do I take it personally and get it fixed today, not when I'm in the area. It will take you 5 years to brand yourself, I had it down in about 4, Most guys will throw in the towel by then so stay focused and best of luck to you. If it works that good for you, if you fail, at least you gave it your best shot, Myself, I did not want to be in my rocker wondering..."What If" One more thing, Don't go advertising super cheap prices, Last thing you want is being known as the Cheap guy in town, You can be competitive without being THAT GUY, My slogan (says it big and bold on the bottom of my Vans) "Done Right, Fair Price"

There is a danger in leaving your card on a broken windshield. If the break just happened and the owner never saw it, guess who gets blamed.

Yes, I have heard that argument with leaving cards and it is a valid point but after boxes and boxes of cards it has yet to happen to me, I also have a very real looking (seriously they even fool me and I know they are fake) 10 dollar bill, Its a 10 dollar bill on one side and a message from my company on the other (Basically it's a coupon) Message says... Okay it's not a real 10 dollar bill but it is worth 10 dollars off your next windshield, With my Logo and phone number. Sometimes I fold these up and put it on the ground by the car door, I have seen people pick these up like it was a hundred dollar bill, LOL. The place that prints for me would not scan and print the bill because he claimed that his expensive copier would shut down and black helicopters would swoop in..... I had another printer look into it, they said it was legal to do as long as I didn't print the reverse side of the note. Yes it is a gimmick simply made to get someone to call ME for their new Windshield, It works, I had one guy tell me he got my card off the belt molding of his car at Walmart 3 years ago. He finally called.

Thanks for the advice, any software recommended for beginning? So far I been using the total shop management from edirectglass and it works great easy to use.

Sir Slam A Lot
In My 7th year now on something I use to say I would NEVER do. (Why I say Never say Never now) I am very happy with my Business, I Love to see the numbers grow with each passing year. #1 best advise is... pay your taxes, Do not get behind on them, #2 Pay your bills, I have never even been late on my Glass bills. You will be rewarded with better discounts faster. Look like a BIG shop, Not a one van wonder, I get asked all the time if I am a franchise or "Where is your headquarters at". I am mixed on Advertising, I have yet to do a print ad but I still fork out big bucks on Yellow Book ads, I know I know... But it still works in my market, Currently re vamping my web site. My thinking is, They cant use you if they don't know you exist so perhaps find a billboard in town with good rates perhaps month to month instead of a year lease. Do the local Parades, Park your van near busy intersections, I have strobes front and rear of my van and let them pop during installs, This turns heads and gets me noticed. When I first started I drove around in large parking lots and every broken shield got a card, trust me...this WORKS, I loaded up the county with cards cards and more cards, Cards are cheap and again, have a super cool card that stands out above all the others. Use quality materials, I could save tons of money using cheap urethane and Glass but I Don't and I tell my customers all about it, Some actually do care. I personally do not sell much any more as in car lots etc, I just wont play their game. My claim to fame is word of mouth, my quality workmanship and attention to detail speaks volumes, and Yes, I actually will have a bad install like everyone else, and when I do I take it personally and get it fixed today, not when I'm in the area. It will take you 5 years to brand yourself, I had it down in about 4, Most guys will throw in the towel by then so stay focused and best of luck to you. If it works that good for you, if you fail, at least you gave it your best shot, Myself, I did not want to be in my rocker wondering..."What If" One more thing, Don't go advertising super cheap prices, Last thing you want is being known as the Cheap guy in town, You can be competitive without being THAT GUY, My slogan (says it big and bold on the bottom of my Vans) "Done Right, Fair Price"
if you are who I think you are you have a very nice van and colors. Yellow and green? Lol

Yes, But up here in The Northwoods,we like to call it Green & Gold!!!! I also use E-Direct. Have had it since day 1, Very few issues, Why I don't shop around for others, I think the price is fair too. I thought of one more for ya, I joined all kinds of clubs organizations etc when I opened, It felt good, I felt like I belonged to something special..., Took me a little over a year to realize, all they want is your money and do little or Nothing for your business... Learn how to just say NO!!!!

I knew it lol, nIce van though I like it. And yes I agree with joining all kinds of groups. I really like edirect I guess thats who ill be going with. Thank you for the advice once again. Go packers! (Since tampa was a joke lol)

I am in my second full year of being in business...i'll do about $200,000 in sales this year. My best advice to you is find a van that is reliable, and act like your company is bigger then it really is. I'm also a firm believer in subcontracting for other companies. I have 5 different companies i subcontract for which in my opinion are guaranteed jobs...don't have to spend any money advertising for those. i do advertise on google with adwords and organic listings. I typically spend between 2 to 3 grand a month. The most important thing is find a supplier who will give you great prices on glass and materials. In my opinion, no ones glass is better then anyone elses. glass is glass. With that being said, if you're working on newer mercedes and high end cars all day then its different (some parts don't have rain sensors n stuff on them like they should). What state are you in?

I am in florida

autoglasses
I am in florida

Hablo espanol senor?

No senor

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com