AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
licensing of installers

http://www.glassbytes.com/2014/12/houston-requires-licensing-for-agrr-companies/

1. can't wait to see how well this is enforced.
2. good revenue generator for city.
3. will be interesting to see how much more tpas will pay
those licensed shops.
4. good test for those barrier to entry supporters, large enough
city for a good test.

Re: licensing of installers

In Ontario, Canada the Licensing/Governing Body The Ontario College of Trades, is looking at licensing Auto glass installers like any other trade such as body men, auto technicians, electricians, plumbers etc...I know a guy who is on the committee looking into it. This will get rid of the fly by nighters as with the license which is about $100.00 per year, they would have to have insurance etc....

A good lesson on how to create black-market criminal tax evaders out of ordinary citizens. Could this be the auto glass equivalent of selling loose cigarettes on the street? It will not solve any of our industry's problems. Over regulation is welcomed by large corporations because it helps eliminate competition from small businesses for marketshare.

Is the application available in spanish?

LEAKPRO
In Ontario, Canada the Licensing/Governing Body The Ontario College of Trades, is looking at licensing Auto glass installers like any other trade such as body men, auto technicians, electricians, plumbers etc...I know a guy who is on the committee looking into it. This will get rid of the fly by nighters as with the license which is about $100.00 per year, they would have to have insurance etc....

Connecticut has licensing (I believe since 2004) and outside of raising revenue for the state, has ANYONE ever been asked for their license??
Has anyone been fined for not having one??
If 30-50% of the installers have not been asked by someone / the license police, other than their employer to show their license, then there is no threat of a fine or penalty and licensing becomes meaningless.
Heck, put a 25MPH speed limit on the Interstate and give out ZERO tickets in 10 years, how much time will it take for the drivers be doing 80MPH??

Easiest way to enforce licensing is to fine distributors for selling to unlicensed installers. Put a healthy fine for every infraction. Trouble is any state will not actively enforce those fines and infractions because they lack the will and manpower

L.W.
A good lesson on how to create black-market criminal tax evaders out of ordinary citizens. Could this be the auto glass equivalent of selling loose cigarettes on the street? It will not solve any of our industry's problems. Over regulation is welcomed by large corporations because it helps eliminate competition from small businesses for marketshare.

Well said, LW. Those are my exact sentiments! Caveat Emptor!

I have seen what is called the Ministry Guys fro Colleges and trades walk into New Car Dealerships and ask Mechanics for their license, as it is law in Ontario that ach Mechanic have his license displayed in a conspicuous place. Mechanics have to go through 4-5 years of training. That goes for Auto Body guys as well.

You have a drivers license, but break the law all the time.

Licensing is a chest puff for the corporations.

We have to have 2 licenses 1 for flat glass and 1 for auto glass. When they were first issued back then they were $75 each, then they doubled it to $150 each per year. In all that time no one other that safelite has asked me for my license number and i know of unlicensed guys who still bill through safelite with no problem. I feel its just more revenue for the state and nothing more.

LEAKPRO
I have seen what is called the Ministry Guys fro Colleges and trades walk into New Car Dealerships and ask Mechanics for their license, as it is law in Ontario that ach Mechanic have his license displayed in a conspicuous place. Mechanics have to go through 4-5 years of training. That goes for Auto Body guys as well.

Have you ever heard of forged documents? The more red tape is involved, the more expensive the service gets. Caveat Emptor!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com