AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1996 Porsche 993/911 Coupe

Installed a dealer w/s with a dealer mldg in a 96 911. The mldg does not cover the body very well at all. I compared the original mldg to the new one and it's exactly the same width. I suspect the dealer w/s may be slightly smaller than the original. The original w/s is a Sigla and the new one is a German Pilk. I've confirmed w/ the dealer that they sold me the correct glass, so now I need to determine if the glass is mismarked or improperly manufactured. I'm waiting for the customer to bring the car back so that I can compare the new glass to the old one. Hoping to hear from Lee or someone that may have run into a situation like this.

Re: 1996 Porsche 993/911 Coupe

I suspect the original had some form of depth guides you may have pushed glass to close to pinch weld causing new glass and molding not to set and cover like factory or glass is smaller like you stated

is this the one , where on some you have to push a molding in to the rubber after you install it?

Did you pre-streach the rubber? new rubber is smaller to allow to relax over time. hope this helps.

It has the PAAS with the channel for the mldg. I put the mldg onto the glass prior to installing into the car and had to stretch it before I put it onto the glass. We had to center it perfectly to prevent the mldg from falling in all on four sides and corners. As I mentioned earlier the new mldg is the same width as the old one, so I believe there's an issue with the size of the glass. The problem I have now is the customer has the car and is out of town for a couple weeks, so I can't really do anything about it. It appears that Pilkington may be the only supplier OE and aftermarket.

Smitty
It appears that Pilkington may be the only supplier OE and aftermarket.

Stock Part Number Source Warehouse My Price
Yes FW02032 GGN XYG T Northlake, IL
Call FW02032 GGN XYG T Fridley, MN

Also a FW791 will interchange with the fw2032

Stock Part Number Source Warehouse My Price
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Ashland, VA
Yes FW00791 GGN XYG T Salt Lake City, UT
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Little Rock, AR
Yes FW00791 GGN XYG T Spokane Valley, WA
Yes FW00791 GGN XYG T Bloomfield, CT
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Randolph, MA
Yes FW00791 GGN XYG T Methuen, MA
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Charlotte, NC
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Nashville, TN
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Norcross, GA
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Northlake, IL
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Greensboro, NC
Yes FW00791 GGN XYG T Albuquerque, NM
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Tucson, AZ
Call FW00791 GGN XYG T Portland, OR

With the GGN part you will need to order the retainer from the dealer and bond it to the glass yourself. I have done this for the Porsche used car department that was sending car to auction

I meant to say that Pilk appears to be the only supplier I could find that is not Chinese.

Smitty
I meant to say that Pilk appears to be the only supplier I could find that is not Chinese.

Not certain, But you mite want to check the DOT# on that Pilkington glass. You mite be surprised where it originated...

hmmmm,,, I'm with you,,,, I'd be leaning toward glass size too. ****ty ya gotta wait to find out tho. is it possible to put mldg on after, and is it adjustable then? I'm sure you have already thought of these, but had to ask.

xs
Smitty

Not certain, But you mite want to check the DOT# on that Pilkington glass. You mite be surprised where it originated...

I know what you mean. I had originally ordered one from Pilkington. It was the only 2032 in town and they called back to tell me it was broken. That's why I had to go w/ the dealer. I've done all I can for the moment. Now it's just a waiting game.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com