AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
international bus install

dave

struggling installing international 1 piece windshield

Part NUM 2202541c3 Any tricks

Re: international bus install

Take a deep breath. Exhale. And Man up and get it done SLACKER.

Do you have a year make and model or a dw#? That would help us give pointers.

If you are talking about the school bus with the flat, rubber set windshield, the easiest way I've found,(besides letting your buddy do it) has been to use 2 installers and put the top in first, then hook the sides and bottom. A heavy seam on the glass helps too.

Yes I am talking about the bus with the flat, rubber set w/s.. I have tried 2 installers but I never tried to set the top first , I will have to try that thanks , I usually always put a heavy seam on the glass , just sometimes the glass seams way too tight for some buses and usually cracks half way through ... yr:2010 , international , Part#2202541c3 .. thanks fellas who actually take this serious

I take a hand grinder and and swipe the four corners to take the point off.Makes the corners go in a alot easier.Have never tried putting top in first,never had to.

Yeah I usually do that as well , I never had this issue before just recently on a few buses , just the glass seems way to big & after a while the glass just stress cracks before I finish sticking the top

Some do go better than others, don't they?
I suspect that the top windshield frame might sag over time along it's 7' wide span.
With two installers we:

*Slice the rubber flap (between the locking strip and the glass)of the gasket at a 45* angle at each corner. A dab of silicone sealant will seal it later.

*Grind a bit off each top corner of the glass.

*Use liberal amounts of WD40.

*Have one installer pushing the rubber flap over the edge of the glass from the inside of the bus with a fiber stick just ahead of the outside installer's fiber stick.

*Have the bus garage pull the bus into the heated garage overnight prior to our next morning installation. In cold weather warm rubber is friendlier.

One time we did have to cut/grind 1/4" off the entire top edge of the glass.

It is a pleasant surprise when things do go smoothly (occasionally)on these busses.

Phred

*Slice the rubber flap (between the locking strip and the glass)of the gasket at a 45* angle at each corner. A dab of silicone sealant will seal it later.

*Grind a bit off each top corner of the glass.

*Use liberal amounts of WD40.

One time we did have to cut/grind 1/4" off the entire top edge of the glass

Talk about a Lick and Stick installer? Even tailgate hackers have a conscious. This type of work on a school bus no less. That carries people children around.

Using WD40 is a no-no
Using silicone as a sealer?
How does the silicone stick to the WD40 afterwards?
Grinding the glass?

Phred is your company called Flinstone installers from Bedrock and your friend Barney Rubble help you install with a chiesel and hammer?

Silicone has been used on rubber-set bus windshields from the factory. Bus glass set in rubber is supposed to be able to be kicked in or out in an emergency, at least thats `what I've always been told.

John
Silicone has been used on rubber-set bus windshields from the factory. Bus glass set in rubber is supposed to be able to be kicked in or out in an emergency, at least thats `what I've always been told.

New's flash

Welcome to installation 101 for 2014

Rubber gaskets are to be sealed with urethane to prevent pop out in case of roll over. This applies to all vehicles that is operated on the highways as per DOT

Why do you think the newer gasket trucks like the Hino's and GMC W6 are glued into the gasket with urethane?

"That's what I've always been told" By whom? With what credentials? Other things we've been told over the years:
"Can't get pregnant the first time"
"This will only sting a little"
"Politicians represent the people"
I could go on...

Also WD-40? How does silicone, urethane, or bedding and glazing compound stick to that?

Phred Flintstone
John

New's flash

Welcome to installation 101 for 2014

Rubber gaskets are to be sealed with urethane to prevent pop out in case of roll over. This applies to all vehicles that is operated on the highways as per DOT

Why do you think the newer gasket trucks like the Hino's and GMC W6 are glued into the gasket with urethane?

I won't argue the urethane, but why do they come from the factory with silicone? This has puzzled me, and when I've asked the certified bus mechanics. that was the amswer I always got. Also, buses are built a little tougher than the average OTR truck. I've been wrong before, and I may be again. If anyone can supply a definite answer to this, I'm still learning. One thing I've learned after 39 years in this racket, you learn something everyday. John

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com