AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Customer claims wind noise on a Honda Minivan 2501/2502

Ok so I have a customer that claims that she has an air noise, we do these all the time, her cowl looks like a warped piece of wood, we already taped the side moldings down, pulled & put back in the windshield it was correctly decked looked like every other 2501 that I have ever done. So what could it be? could a wrinkled cowl really cause this? I have not had anyone with this issue in 8 + years.

Larry

Re: Customer claims wind noise on a Honda Minivan 2501/2502

Tell her to turn up the volume on the radio!

If I was looking for a dumb answer I would have asked myself :)

It is the cowl, we replace the foam dam to make sure the factory height is as close to the same as possible. We have run into this a few times. Hope this helps.

Thank you Steve!

WCBS. Thanks for the typical useless Glassbytes answer.

Only thing I have seen on these is the bottom clip missing on the A moldings. No matter how careful, they like to make me go dig in the fender. Decking height is definitely a possibility. As far as the cowl. I would say anything is possible.

Wish I had more for ya!

Cous cous
WCBS.

Wish I had more for ya!

Is that what u say to your significant other ?

Larry
Ok so I have a customer that claims that she has an air noise, we do these all the time, her cowl looks like a warped piece of wood, we already taped the side moldings down, pulled & put back in the windshield it was correctly decked looked like every other 2501 that I have ever done. So what could it be? could a wrinkled cowl really cause this? I have not had anyone with this issue in 8 + years.

Larry

We have seen the "warped" cowl right from the factory cause a wind noise. Remove the cowl cover or tape it down and go for a drive...Remove any bug deflector if equipped....

Where is LEAKSHMO when you need her?

It's the cowl. . .be cautious on your next one, do an inspection and bring the cowl to the attention of the customer as it is on the windshield to be pulled. Explain to them with the replacement they will most likely hear a wind noise that is already there but will get worse as the wavy cowl is taken off and then replaced. Honda will not warranty them, too old, be cautious of the wave on the newer ones as well.

GlassGal has it correct. Educate your customer is the key to success! certain vehicles have problems. period! once you get the customer to understand you have half the battle over. learn how to sell. yes GlassGal You nailed it!

GlassGal
It's the cowl. . .be cautious on your next one, do an inspection and bring the cowl to the attention of the customer as it is on the windshield to be pulled. Explain to them with the replacement they will most likely hear a wind noise that is already there but will get worse as the wavy cowl is taken off and then replaced. Honda will not warranty them, too old, be cautious of the wave on the newer ones as well.

Looked at a 2014 today 11,000km on it...factory warp causing the noise.

GlassGal

we did we document everything always the customer understands the cowl is jacked but before SHE buys one wanted to confirm this could be the issue, i will try taping it down and driving it.

just like the old 1090's I tell EVERYONE it might not leak now, before replacing, it will leak it's matter of time then i show them where the seams split in the drip rails.

You mentioned decking height. What are you referencing? The height of the urethane under the windshield? I have used 1/4" foam single sided tape in the past to ensure the windshield doesn't get set too close to the pinchweld. We've got a wind noise issue as well with a 2501. Ordered new moulding clips to eliminate that possibility. And yes, her cowl is also warped. Tried using a heat gun to warm it up and get it to retain it's original shape. No such luck. As it warmed it would start to lay flatter. When it started to cool, the cowl began to buckle again. We're probably going to have to cut this one out and reset it so there is some tension on the cowl. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cous cous
WCBS. Thanks for the typical useless Glassbytes answer.

Only thing I have seen on these is the bottom clip missing on the A moldings. No matter how careful, they like to make me go dig in the fender. Decking height is definitely a possibility. As far as the cowl. I would say anything is possible.

Wish I had more for ya!

I do the Honda dealership in town and have had both these problems over the years. The cowl will warp on this vehicle. At the dealership this is explained to the customer. It is just something that happens. Let the customer know this will happen before you start on the vehicle. As for the wind noise, replace the clips any slightly broken clips will not let the molding set tight to the windshield when the vehicle is moving. Had this happen to me on the last job. The blue body side clips were slightly broken after I removed and replaced the windshield I tried changing the clips and the problem went away.

i don't get into all this decking and warping. the only one of these ive ever had come back for noise out of the hundred I did was because the door weatherstripping had begun to shrink and have a gap to the body

Joe,

What part of the country are you in? Perhaps the outside environment effects the cowls differently.

I come upon warped cowls all the time as I also do the local Honda dealer. Believe it or not, I have never had a comeback or complaint on one for wind noise.

One thing, while it is inside, I have never seen a replacement windshield that has has also replaced or transferred the foam dam that makes contact with the dash and is attached to the glass. Never and I have to have done hundreds of replacements for Odysseys and MDXs. I replace or transfer them on every replacement. I have always figured they were there to dampen sound and to prevent the dash from making contact with the glass. Wonder if thee is any connection to wind noise as well

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com