AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I Apologize Glassman if I Strike a Nerve But

I've been fortunate to own & operate a shop in a city with dense population. People want me to replace their w/s because of my quilty craftsmanship, honest ethics, excellent warranty & reasonable prices. They will drop their car off & have a ride or I will drive them home & pick them up when done. They trust me to pick up & deliver their car. Dealers & Commercial accounts I service always have a fully operational garage to work in. I can afford to refuse work if the conditions aren't favorable for me. I don't work in people's driveways, parking lots or in the street.
Every time you mobile in a driveway, parking lot or street you are shooting yourself in the foot ( not to mention the adverse affect of the people's safety who own the vehicle) . You legitimize this practice. This allows the BIG TPA to open a shop, load 7 vans with 7 windshields & replace 49 windshields a day out of that location. Imagine if people were educated & refused this to be done to their cars. That same location may only be able to replace 25 a day. Guess where those other 24 w/s a day would wind up. Maybe with you in your shop? I don' t begrudge people trying to make $$$$ I do take exception when it involves the safety of Mothers, Fathers & Children.
I only ask Glassmen to be honest & not preach how to safely replace a w/s while standing in the middle of a parking lot.
I will now get off my soapbox.
Go to the Bank, deposit my $$$, pay all my bills & go buy a toy.

As Always
JMHO

Re: I Apologize Glassman if I Strike a Nerve But

If you go to your commercial and car dealer accounts. You already offer mobile service. You just don't mobile to retail customer or work outdoors. We prefer to work outdoor when it nice out.

I've been in "shops" that have worse conditions than working outside. Apply a little common sense here. At times conditions outside are ideal. If not then they need to be brought inside. Just because a job was performed outside does not mean it's not a safe, quality job. We use two installers on every job to make sure the windshield is set properly. Do you?

Sglass
I've been fortunate to own & operate a shop in a city with dense population. People want me to replace their w/s because of my quilty craftsmanship, honest ethics, excellent warranty & reasonable prices. They will drop their car off & have a ride or I will drive them home & pick them up when done. They trust me to pick up & deliver their car. Dealers & Commercial accounts I service always have a fully operational garage to work in. I can afford to refuse work if the conditions aren't favorable for me. I don't work in people's driveways, parking lots or in the street.
Every time you mobile in a driveway, parking lot or street you are shooting yourself in the foot ( not to mention the adverse affect of the people's safety who own the vehicle) . You legitimize this practice. This allows the BIG TPA to open a shop, load 7 vans with 7 windshields & replace 49 windshields a day out of that location. Imagine if people were educated & refused this to be done to their cars. That same location may only be able to replace 25 a day. Guess where those other 24 w/s a day would wind up. Maybe with you in your shop? I don' t begrudge people trying to make $$$$ I do take exception when it involves the safety of Mothers, Fathers & Children.
I only ask Glassmen to be honest & not preach how to safely replace a w/s while standing in the middle of a parking lot.
I will now get off my soapbox.
Go to the Bank, deposit my $$$, pay all my bills & go buy a toy.

As Always
JMHO

I believe that I've read the posts that spurred this post. If I am correct, then I have this to say to Sglass and Glassman:

Gentlemen,

The two of you need to step back for a moment and realize that you are on the same side, and fighting a common foe, for a common goal. That would be the simple right to conduct business, offer your services to your customers in an open marketplace, and make a decent profit doing so, for the quality and level of service you provide. You've spent years earning the trust of your customers, and that trust has value, and not only should you be able to be paid for what you've earned, certainly, no one should be able to take it from you.

Please stop shooting at each other, and realize that together, you would be formidable. You both have valid points and are not each others enemy.

No offense intended to anyone, but that statement goes for a lot of folks here. Semantics and details seem to get in the way of the basic fact that while we argue amongst ourselves on inconsequential details, those that would choose to keep us as an industry in nothing less than servitude continue to laugh all the way to the bank.

For example: Someone emailed me the other day, and reminded me that if you don't solve steering, solving price control/fixing won't matter. Also, if you don't solve price control/fixing, solving steering won't matter. Both are illegal.

As Leo Cyr once said, if we were talking about hubcaps, slap the darned thing on, and let's move on. But, as he pointed out, we aren't.

We're talking about working on the highly engineered, designed, and crash tested safety systems of these rolling safety capsules we call automobiles, and if we earn the trust of that mother with 2.5 children driving that automobile, then we're the one's responsible if those safety systems work, or don't work.

Like both of you, we survive on that level of trust our customers place in us, several of which became unwilling participants in a real crash test, and many of which found out why cheaper service offered by "platinum" members wasn't the best choice, nor the best value for their dollar, be it spent on their own glass replacment, or on an insurance premium they thought would protect them, but found out differently.

The mobile vs in-shop debate is done. So is the "V-bead" debate. Neither is of issue, they've been decided. The real problems this industry faces are still there, and are about to become worse. Together, we can solve them.

End of speech.

JMHNLO

One word. "Technology" When I first started Auto Glass in the early 90's we used a lot of Butyl Tape and thin urethane, I did 95 percent of my installs mobile in driveways and parking lots and I got really good at it. With the High Quality urethane's like HV and Hot applied like ASAP changed everything. Other than Weather meaning rain and temps below zero, I don't need a shop/cover do do quality installs, As one said, this debate is really dead, And also stated steering will always remain the BIG problem. I checked out another pretty big shops web site the other day with a big headline advertising windshields from 99 to 169. For me this is more of a concern than the Mobile/Shop debate. Bottom line is any business person opens a business to MAKE MONEY, I tend to worry about myself and have only price checked other shops in my area twice in 7 years. We do have a low baler guy in the area, from time to time I get calls referring to him, I simply tell them is most cases you get what you pay for and good luck!!! My thinking on this issue is.... I just bought a house, It needs a roof, if one estimate is 50% lower than the next guy, I am going to think, What am I getting at that price? Or should I say NOT getting!!! Stay Safe out there!

Sir Slam A Lot
One word. "Technology" When I first started Auto Glass in the early 90's we used a lot of Butyl Tape and thin urethane, I did 95 percent of my installs mobile in driveways and parking lots and I got really good at it. With the High Quality urethane's like HV and Hot applied like ASAP changed everything. Other than Weather meaning rain and temps below zero, I don't need a shop/cover do do quality installs, As one said, this debate is really dead, And also stated steering will always remain the BIG problem. I checked out another pretty big shops web site the other day with a big headline advertising windshields from 99 to 169. For me this is more of a concern than the Mobile/Shop debate. Bottom line is any business person opens a business to MAKE MONEY, I tend to worry about myself and have only price checked other shops in my area twice in 7 years. We do have a low baler guy in the area, from time to time I get calls referring to him, I simply tell them is most cases you get what you pay for and good luck!!! My thinking on this issue is.... I just bought a house, It needs a roof, if one estimate is 50% lower than the next guy, I am going to think, What am I getting at that price? Or should I say NOT getting!!! Stay Safe out there!

Lol when I started in this business we were beating the back glasses into the rubber with rubber mallets. Good installs just meant it was water tight. All changed. Steering is a major issue but it's equal & maybe a firmer ground to fire your cannon from is safety. Steering issues go in & out political ears. Tell a politician his constituent's health may be at stake & you have his attention. You complain abot not getting your fair share of work & you are a cry baby. Complain about incompetent installers working in poor conditions & people being hurt because of it... Now the politicians, newscasters, & the public start listening & you are a knight in shining armor fighting the dragon.
JMHO

I think it is important for us all to understand that each of us that work in this industry are by definition professionals. What is a professional? One who operates in a specific field on a daily basis as an occupation. This doesn't mean that each of us are performing to the best of our abilities. Some reasons may be we lack the proper training from product manufacturers, or the understanding as to how these products and systems are to be handled. Most techs I know take a lot of pride in their work and the skills they possess as they should. Some so much that they set it in their minds that they know the best way and can't be taught different. I used to be this way when I was young. As I matured, I realized that it is the fool that believes his way is the only way and he can't improve by the influence of others.

I will always take pride in my abilities, this is what gives me the confidence to face any challenge that presents itself. Whether it be that 5000.00 plus Bentley or Lamborghini windshield, or that cherry mint condition vintage Jaguar that needs service. My reputation and ability to display confidence puts my customers at ease. I know I don't know everything about everything. I ask questions, I seek the knowledge needed so that I have an understanding of how to proceed with any task at hand.

I don't take your comments personally because I realize that you know nothing about me or how I operate my business. I believe I understand where you are coming from with your opinion, but you shouldn't assume that your business model is the only way and all others are operating irresponsibly. It is obvious that you take pride in what business you have established for yourself. If you are profitable and continue to grow in spite of the challenges we face in this industry you should be.

I wish you continued success, keep fresh on your product training stay safe and consistent!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com