AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ford F-150 rear window broken from rear window defroster

Recently my 2011 Ford F-150 rear window popped and shattered after turning on my rear window defroster. There was fog on my windows, maybe 40 degrees out, I was parked and within 2 minutes the passenger side window panel popped and shattered.Ford tells me it's not their problem, I have to pay to replace entire rear window, and rear seats have to be removed to install. Not a happy customer!!!

Re: Ford F-150 rear window broken from rear window defroster

And what ?

Len DiTomaso
Recently my 2011 Ford F-150 rear window popped and shattered after turning on my rear window defroster. There was fog on my windows, maybe 40 degrees out, I was parked and within 2 minutes the passenger side window panel popped and shattered.Ford tells me it's not their problem, I have to pay to replace entire rear window, and rear seats have to be removed to install. Not a happy customer!!!

Tempered glass is temperamental , with the right mixture of temperatures on different surfaces of the glass it will pop. Then again sometimes you can hit it with a hammer & the hammer will bounce off.
I'm NOT suggesting you try this.

Call your insurance company and file a claim.

We have seen DOZENS of them...FORD should be aware by now....

Are you a LEAKPRO because you cause leaks or stop leaks or use the bathroom a lot?

Tempered glass, whether commercial/residential glazed windows, shower doors or automotive glass part can spontaneously burst. Various reasons that are hard to confirm after the fact. Replace said part and move on.

Rick is right about tempered being tempermental as it by nature is put under stress when created, it's in a constant state of compression. I am curious though. These panes are independent from one another, however they are energized by the same power source that heats the elements on the glass. I have seen heater grids in the past go short to ground be the root cause of tempered detonation. Even if you cover the cost of replacement, I would still insist that Ford run a diagnostic on your electrical system to see if a short exists.

LEAKPRO is the World's Largest Water Leak Air Leak and Wind Noise Repair Company. We are in two countries, (2 states) soon to be 3 states(3 provinces)and have 26 trucks on the road serving New Car Dealers. Customers drop their new cars off to the dealer for a sunroof leak/problem or a water leak or wind noise, they call us they don't touch them. We have been in business for 18 years and EVERY year are up 20%-30%.www.leakpo.com

Is this a regional issue? We do tons of pickup trucks and have never come across this. Other than that I'd second the diagnostic suggestion. It would truly suck for it to happen twice due to an electrical issue.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com