AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
pilkington glass mirror brackets falling off

don't use too much of this brand and I do like it but it seems that 3 out of 5 windshields the mirror bracket falls off. Am I the only one having this issue. Now we just remove and remount at the shop.before installation.

Re: pilkington glass mirror brackets falling off

Let's give a big cheer for the glories of OE!!!!! OE! OE! OE!

Pilkington glass has deteriorated to the point I cringe when one comes into the shop. Not saying they are the worst, just complaining about the distortions & out of correct bends of their w/s. Too many defects to say maybe it was just a bad batch. Sorry to see a brand I relied on for quality & integrity descend so far down.

WS Guru
Pilkington glass has deteriorated to the point I cringe when one comes into the shop. Not saying they are the worst, just complaining about the distortions & out of correct bends of their w/s. Too many defects to say maybe it was just a bad batch. Sorry to see a brand I relied on for quality & integrity descend so far down.[/quote
Hmmmm.....didn't I say this already re: PGW ?

I have noticed that DOT 177 seem to be the only windows that we have brackets fall off of. We were using locktite mirror adhesive to glue them back on. This summer we had a few come back with a chunk of glass broken off with the bracket. Talked to our Pilkington rep and it turns out the locktite is too aggressive for the windows with a frit behind the mirror bracket. His suggestion was to use a 3M Channel bonding adhesive, two part sort of epoxy with a mixing tip. Takes much longer to cure 24hrs according to packaging, but seems to be working much better.

I really gag when reading Pilk's "clear advantage" ad campaign. What a crock!! Buying a DOT 177 gives no one any advantage whatsoever. Mirror brackets fall off as the bonding glue is usually found in a downward line below a loose bracket. Topline bends are never consistent. Bonded moldings rarely look like they belong. FYG beats them hands down in fit and finish. AS a West Coast shop, DOT 177 is basically all we get excepting some Canadian made Chevy pick up lites. Pilk should be embarrassed about the consistent poor quality of its DOT 177 products.
NSG should have some pride in the product they sell but once again it is a race to the bottom when it comes to quality. That is what most 'clear' to me

Pilk was always my favorite Brand.... Almost everyone that gets delivered to me has the glue drip about 14 inches from the bracket.... No big deal, just use a SEB to clean it but it always made me think... why don't they do this at the factory? Similar to PGW having 1/4 inch of the lammy their to lazy to cut off at the factory, In Wisconsin at zero degrees, that lammy will break a SEB

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com