AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is it "Stuffing" if .......

I want to know if your sliding a back glass under a deck lid, is this not stuffing? I mean come on how many of us would love to have a second set of hands when setting some back glass's ? stuff with no stops , no place to put stops, bead hidden by deck lid that has to be up in order to set etc...

Just wondering where everyone falls on this

Re: Is it "Stuffing" if .......

Larry
I want to know if your sliding a back glass under a deck lid, is this not stuffing? I mean come on how many of us would love to have a second set of hands when setting some back glass's ? stuff with no stops , no place to put stops, bead hidden by deck lid that has to be up in order to set etc...

Just wondering where everyone falls on this

I kind of like some mashed potato's and gravy on the side myself. Larry, I will often open the lid and tape it in the center down to the bumper just so it comes up at least a couple inches so I can slip under it with cups to get it set without smearing the bead. Most of the time I apply the bead to the glass. Help would be nice on some, fortunately in most cases they seem to be usually much lighter than windshields.

That is what I have been doing too. Other day I had an infinity G35 or G37 coupe totally exposed edge glass all the way around brand new car, where the factory fubared the bead i had to get someone to help me set it if it was a car with some sort of setting point i thing i could have done it. And YES for anyone that will ask why did i not mark it where it came from I did. But that one was a very goofy set.

I do exactly what Dan Does... Tape to hold the lid up a few inches, I will tell you one Windshield I do Stuff, Saturn Ion, I broke 2 Wipers on these so now I do not even attempt to remove the Wipers on this car, I actually explain this to my Customer why I stuff these, Oh yea, I do not take the Cowl off an 1105 either.... LOL

Sir Slam A Lot
I do exactly what Dan Does... Tape to hold the lid up a few inches, I will tell you one Windshield I do Stuff, Saturn Ion, I broke 2 Wipers on these so now I do not even attempt to remove the Wipers on this car, I actually explain this to my Customer why I stuff these, Oh yea, I do not take the Cowl off an 1105 either.... LOL

Oh yeah Saturn Ion plastic injection molded wiper assembly. I had one crumble on me once taking an arm off. Spent 20 minutes repairing it with screws and epoxy. When I was finished it was stronger than new. So many wipers we can just firmly grab the arm near the base, work back and forth to release with ease but not these. Just like the older Malibu 1299 so many of these would break in winter from freezing to the glass.
I keep a Blue Point wiper puller in my Rolladeck bag Slam. You can get them from Snap On. Quick setup will pull any wiper without putting any pressure on the assembly.

glassmandan
Sir Slam A Lot

Oh yeah Saturn Ion plastic injection molded wiper assembly. I had one crumble on me once taking an arm off. Spent 20 minutes repairing it with screws and epoxy. When I was finished it was stronger than new. So many wipers we can just firmly grab the arm near the base, work back and forth to release with ease but not these. Just like the older Malibu 1299 so many of these would break in winter from freezing to the glass.
I keep a Blue Point wiper puller in my Rolladeck bag Slam. You can get them from Snap On. Quick setup will pull any wiper without putting any pressure on the assembly.

That ion is sure the hell not a windshield you want to use a rolladeck on

LArry
glassmandan
Sir Slam A Lot

That ion is sure the hell not a windshield you want to use a rolladeck on

Why not Larry? I use it on every Ion I do. You have it in your mind that the weight of the windshield is going to crush the assembly. Perhaps if you held the windshield high above your head and slammed it down onto the rolladeck, then you could damage the wiper assembly. The Ion windshield weighs less than 30 pounds overall. only a portion of that weight is balanced on the rolladeck. Most techs might choose not to use it because it's not an overly difficult set, but that doesn't mean it can't be used.

Dan that was not a slam on you , or you tool simmer down. It was a slam on the piece of sh*t design by Saturn. Sometimes we can all be over sensitive, I think that this is the case here. I don't think anyone would disagree that this is one of the biggest POS designs for wipers out there.

So take a step back imagine your not the rolladeck guy and see that its not a slam on you. Hell its not a windshield I am going to use a LIL buddy on cause I cant get the **** wipers off!!

I didn't take it that way Larry, just addressing your concern. You are probably not the only one that has a concern that the weight of a windshield would be detrimental to the wiper assembly. I was merely stating that the fragility of these assemblies does not hinder the use of the product if the product is used correctly. These wiper assemblies are damaged when the tech tries to apply leverage to the arm to release it. That's how I broke my 1st and only one. Heavy torque which can crumble the fragile assembly. If you use a puller, the pressure is applied directly to the shaft and not the plastic housing/mounting assembly. Using the Rolladeck correctly does not apply heavy torque to the assembly, only light even pressure to provide needed leverage for alignment to set. Not anywhere near the pressure applied by working an arm up and down, back and forth to release it.

Is it "Stuffing" Like a turkey on Thanksgiving day.....lol

Ok Dan just wanted to clarify that before we have stick person gate #2 ;) You seem way more reasonable though. I still have yet to have had a chance to try or see your product hands on. Does anyone in NC have one? or VA or upper SC?

Larry

Larry
Ok Dan just wanted to clarify that before we have stick person gate #2 ;) You seem way more reasonable though. I still have yet to have had a chance to try or see your product hands on. Does anyone in NC have one? or VA or upper SC?

Larry

Larry, are you near Raleigh Durham? Give me a call, my business partner is going to be in the area for a few days with a demo. Perhaps he can meet with you. 941-467-0790

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcevawHNK0

YES I will drive up there 2 meet him I am in Greensboro but want to see this in person...

I'll give you a shout hope I did not miss him. I was holding out for Mark Daniels and his product but he is not here yet :)

Larry

PS if ohm wants us to get a room I am a 5 star kind of guy FYI LOL!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com